GDT: The 2022 NHL Free Agent Frenzy | July 13th, 2022 | 12:00 PM EST

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
no, he didn't give Vasy away for nothing and then the next year ship out Kuch and Maroon for nothing as well
That's a pretty low bar. Not being the worst GM on UFA day is not a victory.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
That's a pretty low bar. Not being the worst GM on UFA day is not a victory.
are you missing my point?

We see what Vegas did to Flower, and Patches... for nothing

And question JBB at all given McD and Pally leaving but extending our 20-somethings for 8 years?

JBB is playing 5th level chess and Vegas is going to the sewer to look for answers

Do not underestimate my :ha: with what JBB did but at least we got something in return AND extended our looming RFAs before it becomes really difficult to do

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
are you missing my point?

We see what Vegas did to Flower, and Patches... for nothing

And question JBB at all given McD and Pally leaving but extending our 20-somethings for 8 years?

JBB is playing 5th level chess and Vegas is going to the sewer to look for answers

Do not underestimate my :ha: with what JBB did but at least we got something in return AND extended our looming RFAs before it becomes really difficult to do
I don't see how there is no reason to question him based on another GM doing something idiotic.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I thought I was the most pessimistic one here. I understand these moves aren't popular, but the team is fine and is in no way in danger of missing the playoffs unless they have a 2016/17 type season of injuries.

They likely had these RFA extensions in place for awhile now and knew they could only do one year deals to replace Palat and McD.

Cole is fine. They absolutely needed another LHD who could go 17-19 minutes a night. I preferred other options but he was the only one willing to take a one year deal.

Vladdy is kind of a letdown, but again, a one year deal was a must. He's strong defensively and potted 16 goals last year. I think a lot of the disappointment is we've already seen him here and we wanted a shiny new toy for the first time in ahwile.

Cirelli is an ELITE defensive center who scored 43 points in 76 games last year in a bad offensive season. Yeah, we'd all like to see him score more and he may be overpaid by $500k or so, but we aren't going to find a better replacement.

Deep breaths. We're still a favorite to come out of the East.
vladdy will put up bigger numbers on this team because he will play with Kucherov and point

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
You guys do realize that Cole and Namestnikov are on 1 year deals? Palat is going to want term that we cannot offer. Their 5.5M will go to Sergachev and Cirelli. Killorn money will go to Cernak + maybe Foote or Colton.
What i want to know is how we are going to fill out a roster next offseason. We have $72M locked up in 8F/4D/1G. We have $10M to spend on the rest of the roster.

Reactions: ThunderRoad

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa now has 11.4 million to sign at least 8 players(4 F, 3 D, backup G)for '23-'24, provided the cap increases the projected 1 million to 83.5. Assuming the backup G makes 800-900k, 10.5-10.6 for 7 guys to get to 21 players. Even putting Colton at 3 and Foote at 1.5, that leaves Tampa with right around 6 million for at least 3 more F a 3LD and a #7. If they can find a 3LD for 1.5-2, and one of Perbix or Thompson can take the other spot. That's 3-3.5ish left for 3 F. JBB will need to find some more serviceable 4th liners around 1 million aav, or a couple Crunch players are going to need to take a big step.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Tampa now has 11.4 million to sign at least 8 players(4 F, 3 D, bavkup G)for '23-'24. Assuming the backup G makes 800-900k, 10.5-10.6 for 7 guys to get to 21 players. Even putting Colton at 3 and Foote at 1.5, that leaves Tampa with right around 6 million for at least 3 more F a 3LD and a #7. If they can find a 3LD for 1.5-2, and one of Perbix or Thompson can take the other spot. That's 3-3.5ish left for 3 F. JBB will need to find some more serviceable 4th liners around 1 million aav, or a couple Crunch players are going to need to take a big step.
I think 22-23 and 23-24 are going to be patch work, and 24-25 they will rebuild the depth when the cap goes up and Stamkos takes a lesser deal.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He left Calgary to go to..... Columbus? At least NJ has some talent coming up.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
What i want to know is how we are going to fill out a roster next offseason. We have $72M locked up in 8F/4D/1G. We have $10M to spend on the rest of the roster.
That's not hard at all.

Currently we have 12F, which is 4 more than what you've listed, with the cheapest 4 making $3.8m. And 6D, 2 more than your list, with the cheapest 2 making $3.3m. And 2G, with the additional 1 (Elliott) making $0.9m.

So if we sign guys of equivalent quality, that's just $8m to get to our current roster of 20 players. That leaves $2m (actually $2.5m, since the cap will be $82.5m) to sign a couple more guys so we're not scraping by with 20 which is more than enough for a couple league-minimum contracts.

It'll be fine.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I think 22-23 and 23-24 are going to be patch work, and 24-25 they will rebuild the depth when the cap goes up and Stamkos takes a lesser deal.
Tampa has become a little top heavy with some of their deals. They don't have the depth of a team like Colorado, which now has better offensive depth and defense. Not that Tampa at full strength couldn't beat them in a series going forward, but if Tampa is looking to challenge again you have to look at the best team and how you matchup. Right now, Tampa does not matchup that favorably against Colorado and a couple other teams imo. Still contenders, but settling for Names instead of moving Killorn and pushing hard for not only a guy like Names, but perhaps another 1 year rental like maybe Perron(if they could've convinced him), or maybe Stastny cost Tampa assets in the future that could've been gained from a Killorn trade(while not sacrificing much, if any, in player quality).

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Tampa has become a little top heavy with some of their deals. They don't have the depth of a team like Colorado, which now has better offensive depth and defense. Not that Tampa at full strength couldn't beat them in a series going forward, but if Tampa is looking to challenge again you have to look at the best team and how you matchup. Right now, Tampa does not matchup that favorably against Colorado and a couple other teams imo. Still contenders, but settling for Names instead of moving Killorn and pushing hard for not only a guy like Names, but perhaps another 1 year rental like maybe Perron(if they could've convinced him), or maybe Stastny cost Tampa assets in the future that could've been gained from a Killorn trade(while not sacrificing much, if any, in player quality).
Very reasonable take, but bear in mind anyone trading for Killorn would've been saying to themselves "why am I going to pay Tampa for a 1-year rental when I can just go sign Perron or Stastny?".

Killorn doesn't really have much trade value until *after* those free agent decisions play out and teams have to find ways to fill holes. So a little disappointing that JBB couldn't get one of those guys and then move Killer, but oh well.

And there's also chemistry and loyalty to consider. Is it worth the risk of swapping for one of those guys just to get a 2nd rounder back or whatever? It's smart to play the moneyball approach and maximize assets, but at the same time these guys aren't just Legos you can snap in and out.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tampa now has 11.4 million to sign at least 8 players(4 F, 3 D, backup G)for '23-'24, provided the cap increases the projected 1 million to 83.5. Assuming the backup G makes 800-900k, 10.5-10.6 for 7 guys to get to 21 players. Even putting Colton at 3 and Foote at 1.5, that leaves Tampa with right around 6 million for at least 3 more F a 3LD and a #7. If they can find a 3LD for 1.5-2, and one of Perbix or Thompson can take the other spot. That's 3-3.5ish left for 3 F. JBB will need to find some more serviceable 4th liners around 1 million aav, or a couple Crunch players are going to need to take a big step.

Koepke, Fortier and Perbix are no longer waiver exempt so I say they make the roster. Hopefully Day can improve more to be a 3LD option. 750k to all so 3M for the 4. If Colton wants 3M maybe his rights get traded unless he takes a big step to be worth that much, I would double his current hit so 2.25M. Foote at 1.5M would be really a good deal. So 6.75M for 6 guys and then get a backup around 1M, 7.75M and just need 1 more forward to get a 21 man roster with 3.75M left. I can easily see Killorn taking a cheap deal to stick around, he seems to only want to be here or retire. Maybe 3 year deal at 2-2.5M till he retires a bolt. Then we have some left to add an ELC or league minimum extra. I also see us moving the Seabrook contract back to Chicago for future considerations, they'll need to add lots of cap to get to the floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad