GDT: The 2022 NHL Free Agent Frenzy | July 13th, 2022 | 12:00 PM EST

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
LTIR doesn't mean anything unless they are missing the entire season (which they aren't) TB is already out of cap space with Seabrook on LTIR already.

Reactions: Sky04

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Again, it wasn't necessarily Names. It was whoever they can get for one year. Which is probably nobody
I find that hard to believe. I really do. Even then, Killorn, Foote, Myers are moves you could make to alleviate more room. I find it hard to believe money + a chance to win wouldn't have gotten Perron here for 1 year. The guy is a St Louis boomerang. One year here in a blue uniform would've been a good coping mechanism.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I find that hard to believe. I really do. Even then, Killorn, Foote, Myers are moves you could make to alleviate more room. I find it hard to believe money + a chance to win wouldn't have gotten Perron here for 1 year. The guy is a St Louis boomerang. One year here in a blue uniform would've been a good coping mechanism.
i'm thinking Cole + Namestnikov = 5.5m. That has to get us at least in the ballpark for Palat. At least close enough to explore some creative options. And neither of those guys move the needle.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
i'm thinking Cole + Namestnikov = 5.5m. That has to get us at least in the ballpark for Palat. At least close enough to explore some creative options. And neither of those guys move the needle.

Not sure why you guys are still sold on Palat, look at these RFA numbers - it goes beyond this year which has always been the problem in retaining him.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Not sure why you guys are still sold on Palat, look at these RFA numbers - it goes beyond this year which has always been the problem in retaining him.
Hell we could have got Perron for 4.5 as a nice Palat replacement.

Choosing Ian Cole and Names over a decent, 2nd line winger is....concerning

Reactions: ThunderRoad

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hell we could have got Perron for 4.5 as a nice Palat replacement.

Choosing Ian Cole and Names over a decent, 2nd line winger is....concerning

Yeah I mean I wanted Vatrano but Palat was imo never really a realistic option.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Who are you sold on then if not palat? Cause it's down to Names, Hagel, Killorn, etc. and none of those will suffice. Especially since damn near every forward we have is a twf converted to wing.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Perhaps signing Paul long term was the writing on the wall Palat wasn't coming back. Especially after seeing the 3 rfa contracts.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Who are you sold on then if not palat? Cause it's down to Names, Hagel, Killorn, etc. and none of those will suffice. Especially since damn near every forward we have is a twf converted to wing.

You're not going to fully replace him, that's the issue with raising caphits - if anything the burden is on the Point who's extension kicks in next season but has been producing lackluster numbers lately.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Chris Krenn

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 4.46.32 PM.png

Joe Smith
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 4.46.56 PM.png

Well poop...

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Could have got Vatrano at his price and cap it. Would have been a good fit.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Could have got Vatrano at his price and cap it. Would have been a good fit.
For the cost of Cole and Names, we could've gotten:

Perron +750K
Kubalik and Vatrano (slightly over here by 600k)
A league minimum LD & a +3.5M forward

I'm not pleased a bit. Typically I don't mind what we pay or sign guys for cause we've done well in comparison to the league but this straight up irritates me given what was available. We missed big.

Reactions: The Gongshow

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
I thought I was the most pessimistic one here. I understand these moves aren't popular, but the team is fine and is in no way in danger of missing the playoffs unless they have a 2016/17 type season of injuries.

They likely had these RFA extensions in place for awhile now and knew they could only do one year deals to replace Palat and McD.

Cole is fine. They absolutely needed another LHD who could go 17-19 minutes a night. I preferred other options but he was the only one willing to take a one year deal.

Vladdy is kind of a letdown, but again, a one year deal was a must. He's strong defensively and potted 16 goals last year. I think a lot of the disappointment is we've already seen him here and we wanted a shiny new toy for the first time in ahwile.

Cirelli is an ELITE defensive center who scored 43 points in 76 games last year in a bad offensive season. Yeah, we'd all like to see him score more and he may be overpaid by $500k or so, but we aren't going to find a better replacement.

Deep breaths. We're still a favorite to come out of the East.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ817

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad