GDT: The 2022 NHL Free Agent Frenzy | July 13th, 2022 | 12:00 PM EST

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
9 points in 23 playoff games, only one more than cirelli who is taking a beating on this board

*makes fart noise from mouth*

While playing 6 fewer minutes a game.

You just ignore the "efficient" part? *fart noises about reading comprehension*

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
The only way the Serg deal, and Cirelli to a lesser extent, makes sense is if JBB expects the cap to explode in the near future, which is a possibility.

Aside from that, it's a head scratcher.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think I agree, but the next core just isn't as good, and probably not one we want to commit to. At least not like THIS.

The Serg deal is the one that feels... I don't even know what to call it. At the point that he justifies it, he's our best defenseman. And if he's our best defenseman, that means Victor Hedman has significantly declined. And if Victor Hedman significantly declines, how do we have a chance anyway?
Stamkos has 2 years left, Hedman has 3. Maybe the thought is these two will stick around on friendly contracts and be support options instead of core pieces. I would bet that Stamkos in 2-3 years will still be our biggest scoring threat.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
The only way the Serg deal, and Cirelli to a lesser extent, makes sense is if JBB expects the cap to explode in the near future, which is a possibility.

Aside from that, it's a head scratcher.
He’s just not talented enough. I don’t see him ever having the quickness to compete in a top six role. Sorry if he’s like a family member or something I guess I can understand why you like him.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Killorn was the most obvious sell high candidate ever after this last regular season, and JBB was like nah.

And it cost us Palat too.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If Cirelli is coming off a major injury extending him now is even more perplexing. If he has a down year on return you can leverage that along with his relatively average production the last 2 seasons, feels like 6.25M is something he would've gotten if he had a good contract year but we just gave it to him anyways.

Reactions: DFC

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

What a dog shit offseason. This feels like when Yzerman departed. Just a low feeling offseason.

I feel worse than a couple weeks ago seeing us lose. Bringing in Cole, bringing back Names and overpaying Sergachev are just laughable.

Just tragic all around given the crop of forward UFAs. I like JBB, but this offseason has been disappointing. Feel like he could've done better. Buying out Myers, trading Killorn, Foote were probably tough decisions but it would've been better than seeing what we brought in today.

We took a good step backwards today, at the very least, on paper.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If Cirelli is coming off a major injury extending him now is even more perplexing. If he has a down year on return you can leverage that along with his relatively average production the last 2 seasons, feels like 6.25M is something he would've gotten if he had a good contract year but we just gave it to him anyways.
Depends what exactly the injury was. A lot of these surgeries have 100% recovery rate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad