GDT: The 2022 NHL Free Agent Frenzy | July 13th, 2022 | 12:00 PM EST

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
6 mil? Come on. I find it hard to believe Palat wouldn’t have stayed for 8 years, 5 mil. More power to him, but serg is overpaid by over a mil, and that could have gone to a player we know is always going to be solid.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Coming in peace guys, I like the deal for the Devils I think his experience will go a long help teaching guys like Jack, Nico, Mercer etc etc how to win.

How do you see his body holding up ? I figure we probably signed him a yr too long but thats the price you pay in UFA

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
6 mil? Come on. I find it hard to believe Palat wouldn’t have stayed for 8 years, 5 mil. More power to him, but serg is overpaid by over a mil, and that could have gone to a player we know is always going to be solid.

8 years for a 31 year old sounds amazing. while jbb is overpaying players he is at least choosing guys who will be useful for us for years to come so it’s not as bad

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
8 years for a 31 year old sounds amazing. while jbb is overpaying players he is at least choosing guys who will be useful for us for years to come so it’s not as bad

No kidding, what a stupid contract that'd be. 5 years is not tooo bad, they clearly want the youth though. Cirelli is definitely not worth more, we have 2 centers in front of him and another one right behind him, he was very expendable.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
You can’t mortgage proven talent “just because” there are younger players. That’s silly. Especially when we are trying to still compete for a cup. As mentioned by both the teams captain and it’s gm. This roster rn is going to have a very difficult time making it past rounds 1 and 2.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
I have a hard time believing Palat wouldn't have stayed for 5 mil for 5 years, may have even caved to 4. This only reinforces BriseBois really didn't want him to.

Reactions: Stammertime91

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yeah, little doubt that Palat would've stayed if the offer from Tampa was 5.5x5. Yes, it would've made things difficult next Summer(even more difficult than they already will be), but had JBB not backed up a brinks truck to a, at best, 7 million aav dman, it would've made things easier. Colton likely would've been lost(which may happen anyway), but seeing the deal he took makes it very hard to believe term or $ was a huge issue, just that JBB had no real intent to keep him. It's unfortunate, and players like Cirelli, Hagel, Colton and whomever gets the call from Syracuse, in addition to Names, are going to have very good years to help replace him.

BOLTFAN

Oct 5, 2020
Rough offseason. McDonagh, Palat and Rutta out, Cole, Myers and Namestnikov in. Huge step back.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You can’t mortgage proven talent “just because” there are younger players. That’s silly. Especially when we are trying to still compete for a cup. As mentioned by both the teams captain and it’s gm. This roster rn is going to have a very difficult time making it past rounds 1 and 2.

Toronto and Florida also got worse while the bottom teams in the Atlantic got better, the point spread will be a lot smaller this season.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Updated cast-off team

Palat - Miller - Marchessault
Verhaeghe - Johnson - Joseph
Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow
Katchouk - Paquette - Raddysh

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Stralman - Rutta
Koekkoek - Savard
Schenn

Domingue
Ingram

Reactions: Peacefool

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'd say Ottawa and Carolina got much better in the East. Ottawa could push for a WC spot.

While Toronto is taking a risk goalie wise, should still be top of the Atlantic. Florida lost some depth and is still a tire fire on Defense, but should be able to get a playoff spot as well.

Boston always seems to hang around, as does Washington.

Rangers will be the same. Playoffs, most likely a 2nd round appearance as well

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Optimistic take:

Cirelli and Bogo get back by Christmas and we roll into the trade deadline looking for a bump going into the playoffs.

Who do we target?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad