Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
A playmaker is more important to us than a pure scorer right now. Anyone can take a shot on net but not everyone can create a play in which a shot can be turned into a goal. Barzal has that ability.

Yup, that's exactly what our recent free agent signings have taught us, anybody can score goals!:help::banghead:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We need both playmakers and scorers, so I'm not all that concerned over Barzal being more of a playmaker than a scorer.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
This really is a big part of my issue with Barzal. I mean, if he needs really talented linemates to play to his potential, and this is likely (short of a lottery win) the highest pick we'll have for a long time, where are those linemates coming from? I would prefer a draft pick that has shown success without great linemates.

This logic is counter-intuitive to team building. We won't win cups on the back of one guy. We need a team that can score more goals, and that will take time. We need to be patient and draft a core that can carry us through the playoffs. Barzal's a great start.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yup, that's exactly what our recent free agent signings have taught us, anybody can score goals!:help::banghead:

They still need someone who can set them up. We don't have anyone that can make the plays that say Tampa was doing tonight. Those high iq passes into the high scoring areas.

Honestly I think at his ceiling Barzal could be the closest guy we can get to replacing Patty.

Smartest kid that most likely will be available at 6. Has the skating and stick skills to go with it. Just needs to bulk up and shoot more. Both things that can be fixed.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
They still need someone who can set them up. We don't have anyone that can make the plays that say Tampa was doing tonight. Those high iq passes into the high scoring areas.

Honestly I think at his ceiling Barzal could be the closest guy we can get to replacing Patty.

Smartest kid that most likely will be available at 6. Has the skating and stick skills to go with it. Just needs to bulk up and shoot more. Both things that can be fixed.

Completely agree. Zacha and Rantanen have more worrying holes in their game, hockey iq most importantly.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Completely agree. Zacha and Rantanen have more worrying holes in their game, hockey iq most importantly.

And to be fair there is a lot of talent too. Could still be very good picks at 6.

Just for my money we all want a 1C and of the forwards available unless Strome or Marner fall. Barzal is the one that has the best chance to be that.

Zacha to me could become an excellent power forward winger but I'm not sure he fills those holes to be a proper NHL center. Especially a top 6/top 3.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
And to be fair there is a lot of talent too. Could still be very good picks at 6.

Just for my money we all want a 1C and of the forwards available unless Strome or Marner fall. Barzal is the one that has the best chance to be that.

Zacha to me could become an excellent power forward winger but I'm not sure he fills those holes to be a proper NHL center. Especially a top 6/top 3.

Almost everywhere you go people have Zacha at the wing in the future. Same with Rantanen.

Barzal is the best C behind Marner and Strome and he has the best offense left at 6.

You would be ok with not getting Barzal or you would be disappointed?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Almost everywhere you go people have Zacha at the wing in the future. Same with Rantanen.

Barzal is the best C behind Marner and Strome and he has the best offense left at 6.

You would be ok with not getting Barzal or you would be disappointed?

I would be ok because we still would be getting a high talent player. If not of a different kind.

My preference is Barzal but going over all the choices I don't think we can go wrong.

It does change how we look down the center going forward though. Zajac bouncing back becomes more important. JQ working out becomes more important. JJ stepping up.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I would be ok because we still would be getting a high talent player. If not of a different kind.

My preference is Barzal but going over all the choices I don't think we can go wrong.

It does change how we look down the center going forward though. Zajac bouncing back becomes more important. JQ working out becomes more important. JJ stepping up.

I always forget about Quenneville for some reason. Having him and Barzal gives us some nice depth and a great 1/2 center punch.

The one thing I think can go wrong is either Rantanen turning into a Zubrus or Zacha busting. I think Barzal is a good shot to be at least a scoring winger.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I always forget about Quenneville for some reason. Having him and Barzal gives us some nice depth and a great 1/2 center punch.

The one thing I think can go wrong is either Rantanen turning into a Zubrus or Zacha busting. I think Barzal is a good shot to be at least a scoring winger.

They all can bust to be fair. I don't think their floors are very different or the odds of busting. They all have high ceilings but different kinds.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This logic is counter-intuitive to team building. We won't win cups on the back of one guy. We need a team that can score more goals, and that will take time. We need to be patient and draft a core that can carry us through the playoffs. Barzal's a great start.

Of course we have to draft a core, I never said one player would win us cups. But the likelihood is that this year's 1st will be our best pick for quite a while. I don't really think we should use it on a guy who only scored 12 goals.

Zacha definitely has a higher ceiling than Barzal. Hintz has a higher hockey IQ than Barzal, if that's what you want, and he'll definitely be available in the 2nd.

Seeing that Barzal has a virtually identical stat line to Gomez in his draft year really makes me think twice about him. Gomez was a 27th overall pick in a significantly weaker draft. He also struggled to produce without an elite winger.

Beyond that, elite goals scorers are always worth more and thus harder to acquire. This year there were only 12 30 goal scorers, 2 40 goal scorers and 1 50 goal scorer in the league. Those guys are at a premium. Zacha has the potential to develop into a 30 goal scorer, so does Rantanen IMO. Barzal will never be that player.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Everyone's saying that Zacha 'Has the potential to be a top goal scorer" but the fact is that he has yet to prove that even in junior let alone show that he can do it at the NHL level. Sure, I do think he can be effective but there's nothing yet solid that gives any indication that he can be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL...he could just as likely turn out to be Zubrus.

With Barzal, he's shown both in the WHL and on the international stage against his peers that he can be an effective playmaker. Yes, he has a good shot and no, he doesn't use it nearly enough but I'd say it's more likely that he turns into at least a 15 goal, 60 point center based simply on what's he's shown thus far.

I like Zacha, perhaps not as much as Provorov but I just think there is ALOT of risk to be taking there and in this draft, we need to pick a guy that we can feel very comfortable should become an effective offensive player. I just don't; know if Zach's hockey sense is on par with his individual skill/talent. That points to winger to me.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Zacha played center against McDavid in the OHL playoffs and by every account I've read did a better job of shutting him down than any other player to date. His coaches have never questioned his hockey sense, either. This idea that he has a questionable hockey IQ is really way overblown.

But even if you don't like Zacha, Rantanen has been playing pro hockey against men since age 16, and been very successful. Those are the two guys we should be looking at.

What tells me Zacha could be a 30 goal scorer is the combination of size, exceptional strength and conditioning, excellent speed, agility and a superior shot. Zubrus never had a shot like Zacha.

Last edited:

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Everyone's saying that Zacha 'Has the potential to be a top goal scorer" but the fact is that he has yet to prove that even in junior let alone show that he can do it at the NHL level. Sure, I do think he can be effective but there's nothing yet solid that gives any indication that he can be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL...he could just as likely turn out to be Zubrus.

With Barzal, he's shown both in the WHL and on the international stage against his peers that he can be an effective playmaker. Yes, he has a good shot and no, he doesn't use it nearly enough but I'd say it's more likely that he turns into at least a 15 goal, 60 point center based simply on what's he's shown thus far.

You're contradicting yourself here, making the argument moot.

McDavid can be Dainius Zubrus. Eichel can be Ville Leino. However, with the tools they have demonstrated on amateur levels, they are more likely to generate numbers (after a season+) closer to the top NHLers of today.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Zacha played center against McDavid in the OHL playoffs and by every account I've read did a better job of shutting him down than any other player to date. His coaches have never questioned his hockey sense, either. This idea that he has a questionable hockey IQ is really way overblown.

But even if you don't like Zacha, Rantanen has been playing pro hockey against men since age 16, and been very successful. Those are the two guys we should be looking at.

Thank you

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think Barzal (if drafted) and Boucher could become members of our potential future top line

I'm not too hopeful on Boucher right now.

I feel like we will be lucky if he ends up being a second line guy like Michael Ryder. The problem with a guy like Boucher is if he can't get his scoring touch in the NHL, he's not really all that useful. If he can turn into a top line forward, or even a guy to compliment our future #1C then this team will be in great shape.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

What tells me Zacha could be a 30 goal scorer is the combination of size, exceptional strength and conditioning, excellent speed, agility and a superior shot. Zubrus never had a shot like Zacha.

Knowing that about his defense (McDavid matchup has been mentioned before) makes me want him more as the pick. The kid needs work, no doubt, but the skill and athleticism are off the charts. He has the tools to be an all around great center, natural skills that can't be taught.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How many points did McDavid put up in that matchup with Zacha?

I see the series only went 5 games, and I see Zacha put up only 3 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad