Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Playing overseas shouldn't be held against him. Looking objectively at his talent level, he's right up there with Barzal and Zacha.

I don't hold it against him, but it is why there is less hype. People over here see a lot less of him then they do others.

I think Barkov "suffered" from that as well. If anyone suggest he'd be taken b4 both Drouin and Jones they'd have been laughed off the board.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I think Barkov "suffered" from that as well. If anyone suggest he'd be taken b4 both Drouin and Jones they'd have been laughed off the board.

I don't recall anybody holding it against Barkov. Although I admit that if you told me Jones would slip to #4 that year, I would have called you childish names and made fun of your shoes.

After he released his midterm ranking a few months ago, Bob McKenzie did a radio interview and noted that sometimes the fans think there's a bigger difference between say #3 and #7 than there really is.

Sometimes it just comes down to who's picking where and the needs of that team. Florida tried to move up to #1 for MacKinnon since they didn't have a #1 center in their pool. When they couldn't get it done, they went for Barkov. After Nashville took Jones, David Poile was more than happy to tell the press that they had Jones #1 on their board.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I didn't mean it as a criticism lol
Not saying you did, but those things say he is different then Ted's.

And I'd be fine rolling the dice on Ted's type in the 2nd rnd.
I don't recall anybody holding it against Barkov. Although I admit that if you told me Jones would slip to #4 that year, I would have called you childish names and made fun of your shoes.

After he released his midterm ranking a few months ago, Bob McKenzie did a radio interview and noted that sometimes the fans think there's a bigger difference between say #3 and #7 than there really is.

Sometimes it just comes down to who's picking where and the needs of that team. Florida tried to move up to #1 for MacKinnon since they didn't have a #1 center in their pool. When they couldn't get it done, they went for Barkov. After Nashville took Jones, David Poile was more than happy to tell the press that they had Jones #1 on their board.

Yeah Im not really holding it against them, or saying people intentionally hold it against them, I'm just thinking that the distance plays into why these guys don't get the attention here in NA, at least by fans and some media, that the guys who play here do.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
As far as Finns go, if we don't wind up with Rantanen I'd like to see Hintz in the 2nd. He has elite 2C written all over him. With a little work on his offense he could be a Bergeron for us.

I see Hintz on the wing and more similar to Hagelin than Bergeron.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Henrique-Zacha-Boeser
LW2-Hintz-RW2
Kujawinski-Quenneville-Musil
Blandisi-Josefson-Chatham

Plus the other 2nd tier forwards and other potential draftees I'm leaving out.

I could be patient for that group to mature and grow together.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I don't hold it against him, but it is why there is less hype. People over here see a lot less of him then they do others.

I mean, not literally hold it against him but it's certainly used as a "crutch" so to speak for those that don't want him. Let's be real, a lot of people here have rarely seen any of these players no matter where they've been playing. I'm not going to claim I've seen anyone here copious amounts of times, but from everything I have read and seen of them Rantanen should be just as sought after as Zacha or Barzal.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I see Hintz on the wing and more similar to Hagelin than Bergeron.

I've read that he's elite 2-way and would be very dangerous if a finisher or 2 were on his line. That would be easier to add at wing than center. Regardless I think he'd be a great complimentary piece to add after the 1st round.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Henrique-Zacha-Boeser
LW2-Hintz-RW2
Kujawinski-Quenneville-Musil
Blandisi-Josefson-Chatham

Plus the other 2nd tier forwards and other potential draftees I'm leaving out.

I could be patient for that group to mature and grow together.

Seems extremely wishful.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I've read that he's elite 2-way and would be very dangerous if a finisher or 2 were on his line. That would be easier to add at wing than center. Regardless I think he'd be a great complimentary piece to add after the 1st round.

If he turns out to be like Hagelin that would be a great addition.
Hagelin is a talented and effective forward with top end speed.
And he was a 6th round pick.

Heck, I'd be happy if Conte can find us a Jesper Fast type player in the draft.
Another 6th round pick.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Seems extremely wishful.

That we could get them or that they'd all pan out?

We could get Zacha, Hintz, and Musil. Trading back a few places could get us Zacha and another 2nd, giving us further assets to move back up into Boeser territory.

Having them all pan out is wishful, but they'd only have to fill the roles they're assigned, not become stars.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I mean, not literally hold it against him but it's certainly used as a "crutch" so to speak for those that don't want him. Let's be real, a lot of people here have rarely seen any of these players no matter where they've been playing. I'm not going to claim I've seen anyone here copious amounts of times, but from everything I have read and seen of them Rantanen should be just as sought after as Zacha or Barzal.

I'm there with you on this. Any of those guys, or Crouse for that matter, and I'm cool. Just get me a fwd with that top pick.

And as I've said, if Hanifin is there, trade the pick.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm there with you on this. Any of those guys, or Crouse for that matter, and I'm cool. Just get me a fwd with that top pick.

And as I've said, if Hanifin is there, trade the pick.

Of all our defensemen, Hanifin would have the highest trade value. He's truly got 1D upside and that sort of leverage could be useful.

If a team like EDM came calling I'd ask for LD & 16 for Hanifin and one of our 2nds.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Of all our defensemen, Hanifin would have the highest trade value. He's truly got 1D upside and that sort of leverage could be useful.

If a team like EDM came calling I'd ask for LD & 16 for Hanifin and one of our 2nds.

And this has been my counter for those thinking: If he's there you have to take him, he's that good.

Imo if he's that good then teams will be willing to ante up to get him.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Edmonton will likely have no interest in Hanifin as a LHD.

If Hanifin falls, I wouldn't be opposed to trading back to 8, 9, or 10 with Columbus, San Jose, or Colorado respectively. I would love to add another high second and still get to pick Barzal, Rantanen, or Zacha.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

If Hanifin falls, I wouldn't be opposed to trading back to 8, 9, or 10 with Columbus, San Jose, or Colorado respectively. I would love to add another high second and still get to pick Barzal, Rantanen, or Zacha.

Because of Klefbom and Nurse? If Hanifin is as good as some say, you don't think they'd be willing to squeeze guys?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
And this has been my counter for those thinking: If he's there you have to take him, he's that good.

Imo if he's that good then teams will be willing to ante up to get him.

As enticing as it would be to bring in Hanifin, I think we need to stock up on forwards. In 2-3 years when we're ready to take the next step, I see the defense as:

LHD-Larsson
Merrill-Severson
LHD-Santini/Hrabarenka

I think the Devils will be in a position to make a splash trade for a top defensemen (as contending teams do)...preferably someone mid-late 20s who can lead the D as well as be around a while.

Until then we need scoring help and acquiring as many forwards as possible.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick

This is absolutely the move to be making if possible. Our forward prospect pool can take a huge leap forward this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad