Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I was Barzal. Zacha would be ok but I still would prefer Barzal. Rantanen to me could be a bigger bust than both. i do not understand the Rantanen hype.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I was Barzal. Zacha would be ok but I still would prefer Barzal. Rantanen to me could be a bigger bust than both. i do not understand the Rantanen hype.

Rantanen seems like he could very well end up like Ruutu.

Ruutu was also a high pick, albeit in a much shallower draft than this one is expected to be. Ruutu did have a couple 50 point seasons, so it's not like he was a complete bust.

I could see Rantanen ending up like that.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

A big-bodied playmaker with tons of skill, great hands and excellent hockey sense. I don't understand why there isn't more hype for Rantanen around here...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He might as well be 5'11" because he doesn't use his body.

Do we really watch him enough to say this? Not to mention he's 18 years old in a men's league.

And a guy can use his size without being a punishing hitter. I'm sure this kid uses his reach plenty.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
A big-bodied playmaker with tons of skill, great hands and excellent hockey sense. I don't understand why there isn't more hype for Rantanen around here...

Modest production in a league far far away. Most mocks have him in that 7-10 range it seems.

I can see why people are not overly hyped.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Do we really watch him enough to say this? Not to mention he's 18 years old in a men's league.

And a guy can use his size without being a punishing hitter. I'm sure this kid uses his reach plenty.

And have we seen enough of him, in Finland, against "men" who aren't NHLers enough to say he has tons of skill, great hands, and a good hockey sense? Especially with average numbers posted? No it's all based on scouting reports and second hand knowledge. That to me is why Rantanen isn't "overhyped."

And yes obviously any of them can just, thanks for that wonderful bit of knowledge. Barzal busting to me is still a higher floor than Rantanen busting. You have to go with skill with a foundation like Nj has. That's where Barzal has the edge IMO.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
He might as well be 5'11" because he doesn't use his body.

Thankfully these guys are ~18 years old and are still learning... He can be taught how to use his body, he can't be taught how to be 6'4.

Modest production in a league far far away. Most mocks have him in that 7-10 range it seems.

I can see why people are not overly hyped.

Playing overseas shouldn't be held against him. Looking objectively at his talent level, he's right up there with Barzal and Zacha.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The new top 50 has Severson as the 5th highest defensman, 20th best prospect in the league...That is pretty good, no, it is really good, but the funny thing is, I think it is too low...I don't remember the exact order but - Darnell Nurse, Derrick Pouliot, Shea Theodore and Griffin Reinhart are ahead of Severson...(I think that was the exact order but I'm not positive)

I'm not sure how Shea Theodore is ahead of Severson at all. They both have similar histories and stat lines except Severson has proven something in the NHL and Theodore hasn't had a chance yet.

I also think Severson is better than Nurse and Reinhart and I personally think some of this has to do with a high 1st round bias in the ranking.

Definitely some preferential treatment for first-round picks in that listing.

I have no problem with Pouliot over Severson, whether I agree or not. But the other three...I dunno. Griffin Reinhart hasn't been all that impressive to me, and Nurse has played 6 pro games in his life. I really like Theodore, but there's always been questions about his D, and like you said, he hasn't exactly proven himself like Severson has so far.

All in all, seems like there's not nearly enough credit given to a kid who jumped from the WHL straight to a top-line job in the NHL.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
For those who want Barzal because of his playmaking skills, I respect that. I just don't think he's the offensive force we need.

Zacha is more of a scorer but that doesn't mean he has no playmaking ability. If we get Barzal then we'll need snipers. If we can get Zacha, we can put more well-rounded wingers around him.

One of my top scenarios has us getting Zacha to be that true 1C and then finding a way to get Boeser or even Roslovic to play on his RW. They both can score but also have playmaking ability. I think pairing Zacha with either would create a complimentary situation that would play out well for us. Add a Henrique on the LW and his skillset and that's one complete and potentially dangerous line.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
As far as Finns go, if we don't wind up with Rantanen I'd like to see Hintz in the 2nd. He has elite 2C written all over him. With a little work on his offense he could be a Bergeron for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad