Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Try to figure out and good solid draft. If Marner or Strome are gone:

1. Barzal: Center
Zacha: Center/Wing
Ranatanen: RW/Center

If we trade down. Kyle Connor: Center/Wing

2. Beauviller: C/LW - Colin White: C/RW
2A. Senyshyn: RW - Rosolvic: RW

3. Niku: Defense - Musil: C

4. Colton White: Defense - Jens Looke: RW

5. Markus Olson: Goalie - Nick McBride: Goalie

GhostofKenKlee

ALl I know Shero needs a draft like Chiarelli had when he took the Bruins, this was his first draft, it defined his reign in Boston. Plus he signed Chara.

2006 Entry
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2006 Entry 5 1 Phil Kessel R U. of Minnesota [WCHA] 668 247 273 520 196
2006 Entry 37 2 Yuri Alexandrov D Cherepovets Severstal [Russia]
2006 Entry 50 2 Milan Lucic L Vancouver Giants [WHL] 566 139 203 342 772
2006 Entry 71 3 Brad Marchand L Moncton Wildcats [QMJHL] 377 116 112 228 344
2006 Entry 128 5 Andrew Bodnarchuk D Halifax Mooseheads [QMJHL] 5 0 0 0 2
2006 Entry 158 6 Levi Nelson C Swift Current Broncos [WHL]

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Try to figure out and good solid draft. If Marner or Strome are gone:

1. Barzal: Center
Zacha: Center/Wing
Ranatanen: RW/Center

If we trade down. Kyle Connor: Center/Wing

2. Beauviller: C/LW - Colin White: C/RW
2A. Senyshyn: RW - Rosolvic: RW

3. Niku: Defense - Musil: C

4. Colton White: Defense - Jens Looke: RW

5. Markus Olson: Goalie - Nick McBride: Goalie

Looke will not be there with our 4th round pick, heck he might not be there by the 41st pick. I'd take him with one of our 2nds if he's available.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I like Barzal a lot & think he is a great fit here.

But, Zacha and Ivan Provorov are going to be great pros and will make some teams regret passing on them.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
Only thing I don't like about Barzal (and I know it's not his game) is his lack of goal scoring. If possible I personally would like to draft someone who can provide and score himself . I think the other guys like Marner, Zacha, and Rantanen have more potential to do that.

I think someone here previously mentioned prime Scott Gomez as a comparison to Barzal and I think that's pretty accurate. Really any of these centers I don't think you can go wrong with though.

The Beaver

Jan 2, 2013
Worcester, MA
ALl I know Shero needs a draft like Chiarelli had when he took the Bruins, this was his first draft, it defined his reign in Boston. Plus he signed Chara.

2006 Entry
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2006 Entry 5 1 Phil Kessel R U. of Minnesota [WCHA] 668 247 273 520 196
2006 Entry 37 2 Yuri Alexandrov D Cherepovets Severstal [Russia]
2006 Entry 50 2 Milan Lucic L Vancouver Giants [WHL] 566 139 203 342 772
2006 Entry 71 3 Brad Marchand L Moncton Wildcats [QMJHL] 377 116 112 228 344
2006 Entry 128 5 Andrew Bodnarchuk D Halifax Mooseheads [QMJHL] 5 0 0 0 2
2006 Entry 158 6 Levi Nelson C Swift Current Broncos [WHL]

I believe Chiarelli was hired after this draft... I'm pretty sure it was Jeff Gorton running the show on an interim basis. But i definitely get your point. It would be wonderful for Shero's first draft to be anything like this

GhostofKenKlee

I believe Chiarelli was hired after this draft... I'm pretty sure it was Jeff Gorton running the show on an interim basis. But i definitely get your point. It would be wonderful for Shero's first draft to be anything like this

Chiarelli was hired on May 26, 2006 as the General Manager of the Boston Bruins. He was signed to a four-year contract.

The Beaver

Jan 2, 2013
Worcester, MA
Chiarelli was hired on May 26, 2006 as the General Manager of the Boston Bruins. He was signed to a four-year contract.

"Jeff Gorton is the Assistant General Manager of the New York Rangers, and former interim general manager of the Boston Bruins.

He was hired by the Bruins on March 25, 2006. On July 15, 2006, he was succeeded by Peter Chiarelli."

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is Barzal NHL ready or does he need another year in juniors?

I'd say another year wouldn't hurt his development. I'm sure whoever drafts him will want to even out his shoot/pass tendencies. That seems like something you'd want to work on in a lower pressure environment than figuring it out in the NHL. Good chance he'd be challenging for a top-6 spot on Team Canada's WJC team.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
He needs another year or two. He just turned 18, or is about to.

Honestly so does Zacha if you are leaning that way.

Zacha is more capable of playing in the NHL next year than Barzal, but that doesn't mean he should. He needs to develop his consistency, offensive touch, and play away from the puck. Another year or two of juniors should be good for that.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Have people seen Barzal live, shift by shift? I can admit I have never watched him live, just highlights.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
I would seldom compare point totals with prospects. It's not always a good marker for assessing different factors of the game.

Yes, Barzal has more points than Zacha. In terms of ability and tools, I think Zacha can be more dynamic that Barzal. I would go as far as to say that Zacha's shot is elite status in this draft.

I don't have a problem with Barzal, but for #6, he, would be a reach.

I don't care if Strome, Marner, and Barzal are available at #6, Zacha is the third best forward in this draft after McEichel.

#Zacha

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I would seldom compare point totals with prospects. It's not always a good marker for assessing different factors of the game.

Yes, Barzal has more points than Zacha. In terms of ability and tools, I think Zacha can be more dynamic that Barzal. I would go as far as to say that Zacha's shot is elite status in this draft.

I don't have a problem with Barzal, but for #6, he, would be a reach.

I don't care if Strome, Marner, and Barzal are available at #6, Zacha is the third best forward in this draft after McEichel.

#Zacha

Other scouts have said this too. If he's there and we pass I'll be disappointed. As far as playing in the NHL next year, I'd leave that up to the coaches. If Patty is still here, I wouldn't mind seeing them together on the 3rd line.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Zacha is more capable of playing in the NHL next year than Barzal, but that doesn't mean he should. He needs to develop his consistency, offensive touch, and play away from the puck. Another year or two of juniors should be good for that.

Totally agree. Maybe Zacha could get his 9 games just to see where he' at, but after that he should probably be back in junior.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Senyshyn and Hintz are interesting middle6 choices.

Apparently Roslovic can play C as well.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Other scouts have said this too. If he's there and we pass I'll be disappointed. As far as playing in the NHL next year, I'd leave that up to the coaches. If Patty is still here, I wouldn't mind seeing them together on the 3rd line.

Yes. Stay put at #6 and draft Zacha.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Very few scouts of said this. Especially putting him ahead of Strome and Marner. If either Marner or Strome are there are 6 you take them before anyone else without thinking twice.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Senyshyn and Hintz are interesting middle6 choices.

Apparently Roslovic can play C as well.

I like both and they are trending upwards so they may not be around later than our first 2nd round pick.

As for Zacha, I have been singing his praises for quite a few months now.

I don't think he's scratched the surface yet to his immense potential.
Therefore, we should not rush him at all and let him play another full season in juniors.
Give him a look and a taste of NHL life in the preseason then tell him to go kill it in juniors and work on his game for a year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Have people seen Barzal live, shift by shift? I can admit I have never watched him live, just highlights.

1513755_10102935374218364_1424587184185269513_n.jpg

Caught him live in January right when he returned from his injury. Super patient with the puck. It was kinda funny since I came away from the game liking his playing style despite not ending up on the scoresheet. Then when I got back, there was a guy on the prospect calling Barzal a bust simply due to the boxscore (0 points, -4). Of the four goals, I only thought Barzal was out of position for maybe one of them.

There was another play where Barzal drew in two defenders to him along the boards. Then he put out a perfect pass to the open defenseman who proceeded to fan badly on his one timer attempt. There were a couple other plays where Barzal set up his wingers for good chances but they weren't able to score. Plus that night he was mostly going head-to-head against the Bittner/Petan/Bjorkstrand line which tore apart the WHL.

Perhaps selfishly I'd love the Devils to draft Barzal since I end up in Seattle a couple times a year.

10425882_10102935373913974_3631121252661244381_n.jpg

Also that game was the teddy bear toss which is always a good time. The mascot caught the bear that I had donated. [/coolstorybro]

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Very few scouts of said this. Especially putting him ahead of Strome and Marner. If either Marner or Strome are there are 6 you take them before anyone else without thinking twice.

I respectfully disagree. For some odd reason, Strome's game is unimpressive.

By unimpressive, I'm not suggesting that "it's not flashy enough" btw.

Marner is also a stellar prospect and would be my second pick for #6 after Zacha.

Zacha, Marner (if available), Provorov (if available), Rantanen, Strome (if available), Hanifin (if available), and then Barzal, for me atleast.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I will always be skeptical of a forward who's points are 3 to 1 in assist

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Barzal's statline is pretty similar to Gomez's when he was in junior

Gomez:

1997–98 Tri-City Americans WHL GP: 45 G: 12 A: 37 P: 49 PIM: 57

Barzal:

2014–15 Seattle Thunderbirds WHL GP: 44 G: 12 A: 45 P: 57 PIM: 20

Probably doesn't mean too much 17 years apart, but I thought it was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad