Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofKenKlee

They would pounce on Marner. Both are as likely or unlikely to reach 6.

I agree, they would be foolish to pass on Marner so would any team picking prior to the Devils.

Similarly the Devils would be foolish to pass on Hanifin and the Ivan if they are on the board.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I agree, they would be foolish to pass on Marner so would any team picking prior to the Devils.

Similarly the Devils would be foolish to pass on Hanifin and the Ivan if they are on the board.

It could still happen though. Carolina might be higher on a top D or a big winger like Crouse.

It seems unlikely to us but we don't know what teams big boards look like.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
This hasn't been discussed enough but if one of the elite defensemen are on the board and Marner/Strome are gone, why not trade with the Oilers for a guy like Draisitl? Realistic, no?

Exactly! Then add a dman of everyones choice (Merr/Gelly-But how bout Helg+) to get Yak

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
This hasn't been discussed enough but if one of the elite defensemen are on the board and Marner/Strome are gone, why not trade with the Oilers for a guy like Draisitl? Realistic, no?

That is an interesting proposition. Just looking at it from an Edmonton perspective, they could play Draisaitl at wing if it got too crowded down the middle. They overpaid Benoit Pouliot since their LW depth was thin. Draisaitl is AHL eligible this season and he might benefit from a full season there.

Their previous braintrust seemed to think that adding an 18 year old defender wasn't the answer to their blueline issues. But Chiarelli could add to their D on top of (hypothetically) Provorov.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
That is an interesting proposition. Just looking at it from an Edmonton perspective, they could play Draisaitl at wing if it got too crowded down the middle. They overpaid Benoit Pouliot since their LW depth was thin. Draisaitl is AHL eligible this season and he might benefit from a full season there.

Their previous braintrust seemed to think that adding an 18 year old defender wasn't the answer to their blueline issues. But Chiarelli could add to their D on top of (hypothetically) Provorov.

I think trading 6 overall would be a little bit unorthodox, especially if the return is another prospect.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
But if it were a prospect and rostered player, in the deepest draft in years?

I still would not trade it. I believe in drafting and developing.

Definitely would be unusual. The only recent example I can think of is Ottawa trading their pick in 2010 for David Rundblad who was drafted in 2009.

The Senators were lucky to get Turris in Rundblad's subsequent trade, but consequently they lost Tarasenko. I think this provides evidence that it is easier to simply keep the pick.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
The Senators were lucky to get Turris in Rundblad's subsequent trade, but consequently they lost Tarasenko. I think this provides evidence that it is easier to simply keep the pick.

You can't blanket-think like that, though. Different situations require different decisions.

If Lou doesn't trade #9 for Schneider, who is the Devils' starting goalie? We don't know. But what we do know is that the Devils have a top-10 goalie in the league because they traded the pick. Would you rather have a top-10 goalie or Bo Horvat?

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
You can't blanket-think like that, though. Different situations require different decisions.

If Lou doesn't trade #9 for Schneider, who is the Devils' starting goalie? We don't know. But what we do know is that the Devils have a top-10 goalie in the league because they traded the pick. Would you rather have a top-10 goalie or Bo Horvat?

You are right. Schneider became available at the right time. In the current situation, the seemingly available players are Kessel and O'Reilly, both of which come with a degree of uncertainty and risk.

I do still think that 6 overall is more valuable to us than Kessel or O'Reilly.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Russian Factor was in play for Ottawa. If I recall correctly, they had been targeting Jaden Schwartz but got sniped by St. Louis. At the time, they simply liked Rundblad more than whoever was left; BPAs (not including Tarasenko) according to TSN's list were Austin Watson, Emerson Etem, and Beau Bennett.

Ray Shero faced a similar situation when he first took over the Pens in 2006. He had the #2 pick and Carolina was offering Jack Johnson who was picked #3 the year before. Shero kept the pick, but gave it some serious thought and called a couple other GMs for advice.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005

I'd be curious to see who they had in mind before winning the lotto. What were they 3, 4? They may already have been targeting one of those defenseman at that spot to begin with.

I just see so many trade down options if we don't get a Marner/Strome, why not target a guy like Draisaitl (even if we add another piece), who I think would be a unanimous yes over Barzal, Zacha, Rantanen etc.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Zach Senyshyn with our second 2nd round pick?

If we are looking for offense at that pick, he is not the guy. 45 in 66 games.

If we are looking for the BPA, my guess is there will be a few fallers available better than him.

I would take him with our third rounder if he falls.

Senyshyn is a guy who might go higher than expected. Seemed like he didn't get a ton of PP time as the Greyhounds loaded up and picked up Nick Ritchie and Justin Bailey. The one thing I like is that 23 of his 26 goals were at even strength. By comparison, Marner had 29 even strength goals and Max Domi had 20. Lawson Crouse had 22. Michael Dal Colle had 26.

Seems like a safe bet for Senyshyn to put up better numbers next year when Ritchie/Bailey turn pro. Kyle Dubas was the former GM for the Greyhounds and he's now working for Toronto. I'd be curious to see if Toronto tries to get back into the 2nd round to take Senyshyn.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Senyshyn is a guy who might go higher than expected. Seemed like he didn't get a ton of PP time as the Greyhounds loaded up and picked up Nick Ritchie and Justin Bailey. The one thing I like is that 23 of his 26 goals were at even strength. By comparison, Marner had 29 even strength goals and Max Domi had 20. Lawson Crouse had 22. Michael Dal Colle had 26.

Seems like a safe bet for Senyshyn to put up better numbers next year when Ritchie/Bailey turn pro. Kyle Dubas was the former GM for the Greyhounds and he's now working for Toronto. I'd be curious to see if Toronto tries to get back into the 2nd round to take Senyshyn.

It's amazing that he ranks up there with names like that! I wouldn't mind drafting him in the second with this knowledge.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

He's got good speed and size too.

A scout quoted in Hockey News thinks he will be a steal in the second round.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'd love Looke with our 2nd round pick, if he's still there. Especially if we draft a center with our 1st.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey

That stat is also interesting since Lawson Crouse is on there. I guess he would have a better stat line with a more productive PP. In my opinion he still is a certain possibility for us at 6.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I'd love Looke with our 2nd round pick, if he's still there. Especially if we draft a center with our 1st.

I think there is a good chance he is available. When you look at the NA and EU rankings from Central scouting there are essentially 37 players that could go in the first round, which means we have a pretty good shot at getting essentially 2 first round prospects or even 3 if we are lucky.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2015&layout=&ranking=Rank7&con=NA
http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2015&layout=&ranking=Rank7&con=EU

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I like Guryanov with our 2nd pick(possible trade up). Denis Malgin had 7 points in 6 games playing for Switzerland in the U20 WJC as a 17 year old(although a good amount came from playing against Germany--still impressive nonetheless), he's small but I wouldn't mind him with a 3rd round pick or later.

I think Timoshov would be a possible good late round pick as well(risk but it's a late round pick anyway odds are they are not making the NHL so why not try to pick a guy if he does make it will be as a top 6 forward).

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I like Guryanov with our 2nd pick(possible trade up). Denis Malgin had 7 points in 6 games playing for Switzerland in the U20 WJC as a 17 year old(although a good amount came from playing against Germany--still impressive nonetheless), he's small but I wouldn't mind him with a 3rd round pick or later.

I think Timoshov would be a possible good late round pick as well(risk but it's a late round pick anyway odds are they are not making the NHL so why not try to pick a guy if he does make it will be as a top 6 forward).

Guryanov has first round talent and can drop due to the Russian factor. He would be such a steal at 36.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Maple Leafs apparently have hired Lindsay Hofford, scouting director for the London Knights...looks like Marner doesn't drop past 4th overall

So, if Arizona takes Strome, the it goes Marner to TOR and Hanifin to CAR,
if Arizona takes Hanifin, TOR takes Strome then Marner possibly gets past CAR to NJ
If Arizona takes Hanifin and TOR takes Marner, does Carolina take Strome, Crouse, or Provorov

Or..we can just not care and go ahead and pick Barzal at #6 and go home happy.

If strome happens to drop to #6, Conte better run up to that podeum before Carolina changes their minds....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad