Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think Hanafin is going to fall like Couturier did - he's by far the best defenseman in the class so everyone is going to over-analyze every little detail about his game.

He was the consensus #3 and I think he may fall past us is someone likes Provo enough.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
1 of Hanifan or Strome is going to fall a little further than expected I think

I'd be shocked to see Strome fall past Arizona and Toronto. Arizona could use a big center to go with Duclair and Domi or they could want to replace Yandle with Hanifin but I can't imagine Toronto passing on a young center with size.

GhostofKenKlee

When I started to read draft previews. Ivan was considered the best defensmen and top five. There is always a dropper or two.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
There is absolutely zero chance Strome is there at 6. His "poor playoffs" was still 22 points in 20 games. If he had played at that pace all season, we'd probably still be talking about him going before Marner just due to his size.

Anyways, I'm now firmly on the Barzal bandwagon. Corey Pronman posted his redraft of the 2010 draft today, and it was kind of an eye-opening look, for me, into how often promising prospects drop for reasons like injuries, size, defensive play, and that sort of thing. Barzal is almost certainly going to be the most talented player available at 6. Though I doubt I'd be too upset if we left the draft with Zacha, Rantanen, Provorov, or Hanifin (or Connor, or Svechnikov, or Konecny, or Merkley...or...).

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Don't be surprised if we use a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick on a goalie.

I end to actually agree here although I don't think there is any that warrant use of picks#36 or #41, however, I could see us using #67 on one.

Logic being that Clemmer is gone and maybe Clermont backs up Wedgewood in Albany. A Broduer is probably not a viable prospect with NHL potential so it wouldn't be a bad thing to pick up a goalie prospect that could step into the farm team in 2 years, play there for 2 more and then be ready for some NHL duty as a 23 year old 5 years from now. By then, Cory will be 34 years old and there's no telling yet how Kinkaid progresses or even if he stays with us a back for the next 4-5 years - our back up typically don't last that long and the kid may want a chance at a starting gig.

Samsanov and Blackwood are two of the higher ranked goalies in the draft but with the depth and talent, I doubt either of them are drafted before pick #45.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think Hanafin is going to fall like Couturier did - he's by far the best defenseman in the class so everyone is going to over-analyze every little detail about his game.

He was the consensus #3 and I think he may fall past us is someone likes Provo enough.

Lots of scouts and NHL people rate Ivan higher.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Whoever we draft will immediately be our best prospect. It's going to be very hard to screw this pick up (knock on wood).

Its possible that 1 or both of our 2nds could very well be our 2nd and 3rd best forward prospects respectively as well.

I had a long discussion yesterday about how that's not true.

Im thinking he is talking about forward prospects not overall.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
if we pick a God damn goalie in the 2nd round I will freaking riot

Agreed, especially in a draft with tons of strong forwards and very few standout goalies.

Also, if whoever we draft ISN'T immediately our top prospect, holy **** did we ever screw up the pick. Severson's the only truly high-end prospect in the system right now, and if we're lucky enough that he plays nearly 82 games next year, he'll have graduated like 3 weeks into the season.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
if we pick a God damn goalie in the 2nd round I will freaking riot

Yea our 2nd's used on a goalie was a bit of a stretch. I wouldn't really mind a goalie picked in the 5th round+ but it just depends on who is still on the board.

Agreed, especially in a draft with tons of strong forwards and very few standout goalies.

Also, if whoever we draft ISN'T immediately our top prospect, holy **** did we ever screw up the pick. Severson's the only truly high-end prospect in the system right now, and if we're lucky enough that he plays nearly 82 games next year, he'll have graduated like 3 weeks into the season.

Guess it depends on how high you are on Santini. I regard him very highly, as do a lot of people around the league, so if the guy we pick doesn't clearly outrank him it might not be that big a disappointment per say. But whoever we draft will at the very least be our best forward prospect, probably by a country mile.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Guess it depends on how high you are on Santini. I regard him very highly, as do a lot of people around the league, so if the guy we pick doesn't clearly outrank him it might not be that big a disappointment per say. But whoever we draft will at the very least be our best forward prospect, probably by a country mile.

I like Santini a lot. Normally I wouldn't get too excited about a defenseman prospect who brings almost no offense to the table, but Santini seems to be somewhat of a special case. However, I don't see his NHL value reaching that of a first-line forward or top-pair D, and whoever we pick at #6 is going to be expected to be that kind of player.

I don't really consider Severson a prospect anymore. he is up here to stay.

I agree, I just mean "prospect" in the most technical sense, in that I believe he's still eligible for the Calder next season, as well as most prospect ranking services.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I like Santini a lot. Normally I wouldn't get too excited about a defenseman prospect who brings almost no offense to the table, but Santini seems to be somewhat of a special case. However, I don't see his NHL value reaching that of a first-line forward or top-pair D, and whoever we pick at #6 is going to be expected to be that kind of player.

I agree, I just mean "prospect" in the most technical sense, in that I believe he's still eligible for the Calder next season, as well as most prospect ranking services.

The cutoff is 25 games I believe...He does't have rookie status anymore.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I like Kinkaid, but as long as we have Schneider one focus should be rotating younger goalies out of the backup position. I'd treat it the way the packers used to treat backup QBs. Build them up and then deal them to teams desperate for goaltending. But, I wouldn't draft one that highly.

I'd do the same for defensemen. If we can become a factory for these positions after we set our NHL roster we'll always have dealable assets.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ah, wow I was way off on that lol. I know he was still ranked in HF's top-100 ranking, I dunno why I thought they mimicked the requirements for Calder eligibility.

The new top 50 has Severson as the 5th highest defensman, 20th best prospect in the league...That is pretty good, no, it is really good, but the funny thing is, I think it is too low...I don't remember the exact order but - Darnell Nurse, Derrick Pouliot, Shea Theodore and Griffin Reinhart are ahead of Severson...(I think that was the exact order but I'm not positive)

I'm not sure how Shea Theodore is ahead of Severson at all. They both have similar histories and stat lines except Severson has proven something in the NHL and Theodore hasn't had a chance yet.

I also think Severson is better than Nurse and Reinhart and I personally think some of this has to do with a high 1st round bias in the ranking.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
There is absolutely zero chance Strome is there at 6. His "poor playoffs" was still 22 points in 20 games. If he had played at that pace all season, we'd probably still be talking about him going before Marner just due to his size.

Anyways, I'm now firmly on the Barzal bandwagon. Corey Pronman posted his redraft of the 2010 draft today, and it was kind of an eye-opening look, for me, into how often promising prospects drop for reasons like injuries, size, defensive play, and that sort of thing. Barzal is almost certainly going to be the most talented player available at 6. Though I doubt I'd be too upset if we left the draft with Zacha, Rantanen, Provorov, or Hanifin (or Connor, or Svechnikov, or Konecny, or Merkley...or...).

Most of his points came earlier. He wasn't that good has they went deeper, especially in the Ont, finals. I do agree that it's a long shot that Strome will be there at six. Carolina would pounce on him.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
This hasn't been discussed enough but if one of the elite defensemen are on the board and Marner/Strome are gone, why not trade with the Oilers for a guy like Draisitl? Realistic, no?

GhostofKenKlee

The new top 50 has Severson as the 5th highest defensman, 20th best prospect in the league...That is pretty good, no, it is really good, but the funny thing is, I think it is too low...I don't remember the exact order but - Darnell Nurse, Derrick Pouliot, Shea Theodore and Griffin Reinhart are ahead of Severson...(I think that was the exact order but I'm not positive)

I'm not sure how Shea Theodore is ahead of Severson at all. They both have similar histories and stat lines except Severson has proven something in the NHL and Theodore hasn't had a chance yet.

I also think Severson is better than Nurse and Reinhart and I personally think some of this has to do with a high 1st round bias in the ranking.

But Nurse and Reinhart are sexier on Hfboards, because they are hype prospects and haven't played any meaningful NHL games yet.

Plus, this board has a bias towards devils and their prospects overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad