Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Werenski, saying he's the best defenseman with the puck in the draft.

An anonymous scout was quoted comparing Connor to Gaborik.

Go to a Barnes & Noble for a copy, it's a good read.

I could be happy with drafting Connor. If he compares to Gaborik, does he stay at C.

Is he the one that's buddies with Miles Wood or is it Colin White?

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'm not sure of that...based on lackluster showing at the WJC it's not certain he's ready to take the next step. It's easy to dismiss a short tournament but it was a step up in overall talent level and his performance wasn't standout.

Hanifin is going to be good, I'm just not sure he's ready for the NHL right now.

And I'm not even going to get into our current Dmen, the numbers speak for themselves.

In the games I saw Hanifin looked very dynamic and had great skating. It is a tough tourney, he definitely has a ton of potential. Don't see any chance of him falling to us, Carolina will snag him if available.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In the games I saw Hanifin looked very dynamic and had great skating. It is a tough tourney, he definitely has a ton of potential. Don't see any chance of him falling to us, Carolina will snag him if available.

Do you remember Seth Jones, Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Jon Merrill, Jacob Trouba in the same tournament for team USA?

Jon Merrill had 5 points in 6 games and he was still 18 at the time of his first U20 tournament... all circumstantial but Hanifin didn't have an inspiring tournament.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Do you remember Seth Jones, Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Jon Merrill, Jacob Trouba in the same tournament for team USA?

Jon Merrill had 5 points in 6 games and he was still 18 at the time of his first U20 tournament... all circumstantial but Hanifin didn't have an inspiring tournament.

Honestly don't really pay attention to the American team all that much unless it is one of our prospects since I'm Canadian. 1 tournament is not enough to go off of. There is a reason he is the consensus #3 prospect.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Still doesn't mean he is NHL ready. There is a reason Eichel is the consensus number 2 pick, but he looks like he needs some more seasoning before getting to the NHL as well.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Hockey News Draft preview has hit newsstands.

I bought two copies, one for me to peruse and one that I will put in the mail tomorrow to 165 Mulberry St in Newark Attn David Conte.

Intetesting that they have Zacha ahead of Barzal but think the Czech import will move to wing in the NHL.

They are also high on Connor.

Most people have Barzal around 10. It's only on HF (Devils board in particular) that lots of people are convinced he belongs significantly higher. If we pick him most experts would probably call it a reach.

There's really nothing right now to suggest Zacha moves to wing. Both should be considered Centers at this point.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ranking can have them in whatever order they wish, to me though, the group of Barzal, Zacha, Rantanen, etc are all so close together that taking any at 6 wouldn't be a "reach." You have a clear cut top 5 but after that it's like 1a, 1b, 1c. I don't get the Rantanen hype though. I still want Barzal at 6.

elindholm

Jun 3, 2013
trading draft spots with the following teams do-able? or absurd? You never know, for example Philly might be very high on a specific guy if still available. It has happened!

switch w/ Philly-for Matt Read? or 2nd (we need righty's)
Columbus for Rychel? or 2nd
San Jose- Hertl?

probably wouldn't go past #9

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
trading draft spots with the following teams do-able? or absurd? You never know, for example Philly might be very high on a specific guy if still available. It has happened!

San Jose- Hertl?

we'd have to give up a lot for each of those in addition. hertl is prob untouchable

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Most people have Barzal around 10. It's only on HF (Devils board in particular) that lots of people are convinced he belongs significantly higher. If we pick him most experts would probably call it a reach.

There's really nothing right now to suggest Zacha moves to wing. Both should be considered Centers at this point.

I won't be upset if we don't pick Barzal. I trust the scouts. I remember when everyone (myself included) wanted Shinkaruk with the 9th pick a few years ago and then he dropped to 24.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Ranking can have them in whatever order they wish, to me though, the group of Barzal, Zacha, Rantanen, etc are all so close together that taking any at 6 wouldn't be a "reach." You have a clear cut top 5 but after that it's like 1a, 1b, 1c. I don't get the Rantanen hype though. I still want Barzal at 6.

I tend to agree, but if we don't draft Barzal I wonder how many posters here will be going crazy because they think he's somehow much better than anybody else available.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I tend to agree, but if we don't draft Barzal I wonder how many posters here will be going crazy because they think he's somehow much better than anybody else available.

if who we pick doesn't end up better than him, you know we're gonna hear about it incessantly. come on hockey gods, give us something good

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
lol hilarious trade i saw on the mock draft board (a leaf fan was in charge of our team)

Adam Henrique
Adam Larsson
Reid Boucher
1st round pick 2015(6th overall)
4th round pick 2015(97th overall)

for

Logan Couture
Brenden Dillon
1st round pick(9th overall)
5th round pick(130th overall)

i closed that thing off right away

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
lol hilarious trade i saw on the mock draft board (a leaf fan was in charge of our team)

Adam Henrique
Adam Larsson
Reid Boucher

for

Logan Couture
Brenden Dillon

Good Lord, that's terrible. :help:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

It doesn't matter who we take, when inevitably someone after becomes the "better" pick everyone's going to complain and start up the oh so clever "Conte Country Club" or "Contes Good Ol Boys" jokes. That's a given regardless of who we pick.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
The worry I have with Barzal is that New Jersey has never been known to develop forwards with a lot of offensive talent. We are mostly known for developing two way forwards and defenseman. Elias and Gomez will have a lot of mentoring to do.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Bob McKenzie was doing an interview a few months ago and he mentioned how we as fans have a bigger perceived difference between say the 6th guy and the 10th guy. Since Bob gets a viewing of ten different opinions, he knows how the opinions usually are mixed among the professional scouts.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It's also definitely not "in particular" this board. I'd go so far as to call it the closest to consensus pick on all the boards. Not a reach in the slightest.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Adam Henrique
Adam Larsson
Reid Boucher

for

Logan Couture
Brenden Dillon

Sure, if they add in Hertl, Vlasic, and 2016 #1...of course given all that movement I'd rather just keep our guys.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

San Jose- Hertl?

If we could trade w Philly, pick up a 2nd, and guarantee they aren't taking who we want, sounds fine. But, they'd have to be in love with a guy they're afraid we're going to take. I think they're in a similar situation as us...there are enough forwards to choose from and they might as well stay where they are.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Zacha is the third best center in this draft, right after McEichel.

In the minority but I completely agree.

My realistic best case scenario has us walking away with Zacha, Rychel, Boeser, and a strong middle6 forward.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
It doesn't matter who we take, when inevitably someone after becomes the "better" pick everyone's going to complain and start up the oh so clever "Conte Country Club" or "Contes Good Ol Boys" jokes. That's a given regardless of who we pick.

Some will...I usually stick to my gripes and will happily admit when I'm wrong.

In 2012 I wanted Colton Sissons over Matteau...still do even though Colt had a great year 13-14 followed by a down one this past season.

In 2013 I wanted DLR in the 2nd (trade up if necessary) and he would've been great to have, but, I'm not complaing about Santini.

Last year I wanted Bleackley (who didn't make it to us) and then more forwards. Comparatively I'm happy with Quenneville but I'm still chapped about drafting Jacobs over a forward. I also hoped they'd take a later flyer on Mistele and he's performed well this year.

This year, given where we are, I want Zacha and a move back if possible to still come away with him and get another 2nd. I want a trade for Rychel and I'd like to see a move back into the first to get Boeser - Sizable RW, great shot, good skater, solid playmaker. After that a complimentary forward. No D until later on.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I would be more than happy to draft Connor, just as long that we're getting an additional 2nd. Trade down with San Jose, aren't they interested in one of the top three defensemen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad