Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I wouldn't be shocked to see Elias traded at or around the draft. He's made thinly veiled comments on how he would like another shot at a Cup and it's not going to be here next season. I could see a deal where we take back a bad contract with short length and get a nice pick in return. Probably have to add something to it but I could see it happening and I would hope Patty wins another Cup and goes out on top.

I wouldn't be opposed to Patty being traded. He deserves to compete for one last cup and it isn't going to happen here. If we can accumulate picks and/or prospects, it makes sense to do it. If we have to eat some money on his contract to get better value we have the cap space to do it as well.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
If Hanifin falls to 6 do we take a deal like Rychel + 8th for the 6th or do we take him ourselves?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If Hanifin falls to 6 do we take a deal like Rychel + 8th for the 6th or do we take him ourselves?

If we trade Hanifin I'd like more than Rychel. It would have to include a 'surefire' 1st line forward.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
If both Barzal and Crouse were on the board and that offer come in, why not? You end up with Rychel and Crouse/Barzal, that's a nice haul.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
If both Barzal and Crouse were on the board and that offer come in, why not? You end up with Rychel and Crouse/Barzal, that's a nice haul.

I'd rather have us identify the best player available at that spot as thoroughly as possible and pull the trigger. We need a game changer, and if Hanifin is available at 6 I take him.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

I shop it around. I really like Rychel but for the cost of a #1D, I'm looking for a better player.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'd take Hanafin if he was available. Instantly a kid on D becomes expendable for some more pics or a young forward. Hanafin is the best young D man to come along in a while. Because the kids on D will take time to develop, it also allows more time to build the forward core through the draft in the coming years. Forwards seem to be able to make an impact quicker than D men.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Or you could take Hanifin and trade Merrill for a forward. Drafting Hanfin makes it easier to trade Merrill. There are a lot of scenarios where we could have a great night. Even if we just pick at 6 and take Barzal it's a good night.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
You're not getting a whole lot in the way of immediate help for Merrill. More value in letting him develop and seeing where he lands in the scenario you're describing.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Getting Hanifin makes both Merrill and Gelinas expendable. Our left side could roll Greene, Hanifin, and a FA. If one of Merrill and Gelinas are expendable now, adding another young LHD opens up trade possibilities for both.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You're not getting a whole lot in the way of immediate help for Merrill. More value in letting him develop and seeing where he lands in the scenario you're describing.

Most GMs aren't stupid, Shero knows it, and other teams know it. They know how much potential Merrill has even if this board wants to write him off and know he has a lot of value. If they ask for him, they know they will have to pay.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
Taking Hanifin would be a Jets-like move in the NFL draft, and not really in a 100% good way. "Best player available"(eh) but at the same time is he an upgrade over what they have? Does he fill a need for the club?

No D-men in the 1st rd. unless he gets traded immediately. Time to move on from that "only defensemen matter" image.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Taking Hanifin would be a Jets-like move in the NFL draft, and not really in a 100% good way. "Best player available"(eh) but at the same time is he an upgrade over what they have? Does he fill a need for the club?

No D-men in the 1st rd. unless he gets traded immediately. Time to move on from that "only defensemen matter" image.

Except in the Jets example you cite the player they picked was so far above anyone else on every draft board. In THAT case I'm fine with BPA, it'd be irresponsible not to take BPA when there's a clear difference like that. I don't really think that'll be the case with Hanifin or Provorov compared to the forwards left on the board though the people that love stocking up d-men will rate them much higher on a pro-d bias.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
In a way, Hanifin falling to us could be the best thing to happen to us. We're with two options there and both make us better. Keep the pick and further build what just might be the best D in the league in 2 years. That would allow us to explore more trade options to address the forward need. More likely though, someone is willing to pay very well to move up and grab their franchise Dman. I'd prefer this option as forward is obviously our problem area right now. Question is, what if a team offers a true high end young player and a 2nd rather than their first? Either way, I feel that would be the best scenario for us other than Marner falling to us which I just don't see happening.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Getting Hanifin makes both Merrill and Gelinas expendable. Our left side could roll Greene, Hanifin, and a FA. If one of Merrill and Gelinas are expendable now, adding another young LHD opens up trade possibilities for both.

It really doesn't though... The gaps in development time are significant... Hanifin could be as far 3 or 4 years away from being a regular 20+ minute NHL defenseman., I think even under the best circumstances you're still looking at two years. We're in year 4 going on year 5 with Larsson and we're just scratching the surface of a regular contributor.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
It really doesn't though... The gaps in development time are significant... Hanifin could be as far 3 or 4 years away from being a regular 20+ minute NHL defenseman., I think even under the best circumstances you're still looking at two years. We're in year 4 going on year 5 with Larsson and we're just scratching the surface of a regular contributor.

Hanifin would never get past Carolina. If he did, you run to the podium and take him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
lol

"Larsson is just scratching the surface of being a regular contributor"

just plain lies.

its pointless to debate. Hanifin is never going to be there at 6.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Most GMs aren't stupid, Shero knows it, and other teams know it. They know how much potential Merrill has even if this board wants to write him off and know he has a lot of value. If they ask for him, they know they will have to pay.

GMs aren't stupid and that's why "potential" is the operative word. You may get a good haul, but not in the form a young, semi cost-controlled "finished" product.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Then there are cases like Ekblad. Hanifin could be ready for minutes next year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Then there are cases like Ekblad. Hanifin could be ready for minutes next year.

It is very, very, very unusual for an 18/19 year old to have a season like that. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Hanifin back at college next season.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
It is very, very, very unusual for an 18/19 year old to have a season like that. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Hanifin back at college next season.

- Hanifin doesn't have to play to Ekblad's level to be NHL ready and productive
- If he did go back to college, we could put off trading a year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Going over the Toronto and Carolina board, it seems both fan base want Marner. Not sure what happened to the Strome love. Might be he's the player that falls?

Strome had a perceived bad playoff(nonsense). Some people see him falling...I would love it if it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad