Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Going over the Toronto and Carolina board, it seems both fan base want Marner. Not sure what happened to the Strome love. Might be he's the player that falls?

Maybe. If Hanifin and Marner go 3 & 4, it depends on if Carolina wants another C other than the Staal's.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hanafin is far closer to being able to be a contributor than Merrill, Gelinas, Severson or any other young D man in the system, with the possible exception of Larsson, were when they were drafted. And again, it gives time to get forwards in the coming years drafts since D men take longer to develop.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Going over the Toronto and Carolina board, it seems both fan base want Marner. Not sure what happened to the Strome love. Might be he's the player that falls?

Seems like he had a good but not great playoff. Probably a case where the latest memories are creating too big of an impression for us armchair scouts.

Maybe. If Hanifin and Marner go 3 & 4, it depends on if Carolina wants another C other than the Staal's.

I'd expect them to take Strome and sort it out later. Eric Staal is entering his last year, so who knows how the Hurricanes roster is going to look ten months from now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hanafin is far closer to being able to be a contributor than Merrill, Gelinas, Severson or any other young D man in the system, with the possible exception of Larsson, we're when they were drafted. And again, it gives time to get forwards in the coming years drafts since D men take longer to develop.
I'm not sure of that...based on lackluster showing at the WJC it's not certain he's ready to take the next step. It's easy to dismiss a short tournament but it was a step up in overall talent level and his performance wasn't standout.

Hanifin is going to be good, I'm just not sure he's ready for the NHL right now.

And I'm not even going to get into our current Dmen, the numbers speak for themselves.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Strome started the playoffs well but really wasn't playing well in the last couple rounds. I only saw two games but he didn't look 100% or just kind of dogging it. Who knows?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm not sure of that...based on lackluster showing at the WJC it's not certain he's ready to take the next step. It's easy to dismiss a short tournament but it was a step up in overall talent level and his performance wasn't standout.

Hanifin is going to be good, I'm just not sure he's ready for the NHL right now.

And I'm not even going to get into our current Dmen, the numbers speak for themselves.

I'm not saying he's ready now. And I like our current D men. However, if you can get Hanafin and sell high on one of the other kids, I'd do it. The current D are still a few years away. I think Hanafin could be ready in that time. In the mean time you draft the hell out of forwards. I think the forwards have potential to be ready in a shorter time. The goal is to have as many players on cheap contracts contributing at the same time before you have to get rid of some.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not saying he's ready now. And I like our current D men. However, if you can get Hanafin and sell high on one of the other kids, I'd do it. The current D are still a few years away. I think Hanafin could be ready in that time. In the mean time you draft the hell out of forwards. I think the forwards have potential to be ready in a shorter time. The goal is to have as many players on cheap contracts contributing at the same time before you have to get rid of some.
I guess the thing is I don't think our current D is "years" away...I think Merrill needs another year of refinement, Severson is a bit of an unknown as far as development curve, but based on his current trajectory, you've got to be encouraged that we are on the verge of something very special with him. I don't know what to think about Gelinas there is so much raw goodness but it's very uncertain it'll ever come together, Gelinas is probably the furthest away from full potential.

I'd prefer not to talk about Larsson because an honest conversation can't be had. But I don't know how anyone can deny that his development has been painfully slow...for whatever reason.

All that being said adding a Hanifin to the mix doesn't immediately change anything. You'll still need to wait some time for Hanifin to be fully ready and in the meantime you use the people that are further along. A two year gap in development is huge and doesn't effect the existing lineup much at all. A lot of the problems we have today is because of a readiness gap and to continue to do that is Edmonton dumb.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
If Hanifin is available at 6, and I really don't believe he will be, I don't know how you can't take him unless Marner is available. I just can't justify passing on him for Barzal/Crouse/Zacha/Rantanen. What if one or two of Merril/Gelinas/Santini don't pan out and become AHL/bottom pairing dmen and we passed up Hanifin?

I think we should take him since I think he is head and shoulders above the second group of prospects. Hanifin is a legit #1 potential guy. Merrill/Gelinas I believe have 2/3 potential. Severson and Larsson both have #1 potential but both of them reaching is hard. Having 3 guys who could be #1 dmen means we (hopefully) get a Suter-Weber kind of pairing with two number ones.

Hanifin also gives us more opportunity to look to deal prospects. Merrill, Gelinas, Santini and Jacobs all become expendable with little hesitation. The probability everyone pans out is too low. Yes we have a logjam but some of the guys we're high on won't make it, just the way of the game.

On a semi-related note,
My rankings from watching and reading opinions:
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Hanifin
4. Marner
5. Strome
6. Barzal
7. Provorov
8. Rantanen
9. Crouse
10. Zacha
11. Werenski
12. Konecny

I'm higher on Konecny than a lot of guys because I think that he's going to be a really good player. Kind of just a hunch I guess, although he's a really great/fast skater.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I guess the thing is I don't think our current D is "years" away...I think Merrill needs another year of refinement, Severson is a bit of an unknown as far as development curve, but based on his current trajectory, you've got to be encouraged that we are on the verge of something very special with him. I don't know what to think about Gelinas there is so much raw goodness but it's very uncertain it'll ever come together, Gelinas is probably the furthest away from full potential.

I'd prefer not to talk about Larsson because an honest conversation can't be had. But I don't know how anyone can deny that his development has been painfully slow...for whatever reason.

All that being said adding a Hanifin to the mix doesn't immediately change anything. You'll still need to wait some time for Hanifin to be fully ready and in the meantime you use the people that are further along. A two year gap in development is huge and doesn't effect the existing lineup much at all. A lot of the problems we have today is because of a readiness gap and to continue to do that is Edmonton dumb.

I agree with the readiness gap and definitely want to minimize it. I think we just differ on when players will be "ready".

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just can not accept the rational that says we should draft a d-man. If Hanifin is there, trade the pick.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

U mean it was painfully slow. Then Deboer was fired. Then his development took off.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
yea that's because Deboer's usage for him in the first half was terrible. Second half he was playing 22-23+ minutes a game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
yea that's because Deboer's usage for him in the first half was terrible. Second half he was playing 22-23+ minutes a game.

Under DeBoer it was about 20 games, under the new staff it was about 45....the averages should've worked themselves out. He only played 65 games.

Fact is he still wasn't trusted for about the first 10 games under the new staff...so we are talking about 30/35 good games at best - if you combine his strong rookie start, you're looking at about 60 good games out of close to 200 over 4 years. Check out the numbers....not opinion.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
or they worked him in into more time?

under the new staff he went from 16 minutes to 17 to 19 to 26. And then he only had 2 games under 20 after that(19:55 and 19:27).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
or they worked him in into more time?

under the new staff he went from 16 minutes to 17 to 19 to 26. And then he only had 2 games under 20 after that(19:55 and 19:27).

May very well be the case...but there was also a relationship to being paired with Greene and we are still talking about 4 years after his draft for a #4 overall....and still he's not averaging over 20 minutes a game for his career. If that is not slow development, painfully slow, I'm not sure what is. That was my entire point.

It's a tough argument to make that the coach was the problem when others have past him with the same coach and his best season in terms of minutes is still to this day under the previous coach.

It's going to be very interesting seeing him in a more dynamic system because I honestly believe his 35 game success was in large part due to a bit more experience,
playing with Greene under a sit-back system that hide the flaws in his skating. We'll see, but continued progress next season will be critical and telling.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Hockey News Draft preview has hit newsstands.

I bought two copies, one for me to peruse and one that I will put in the mail tomorrow to 165 Mulberry St in Newark Attn David Conte.

Intetesting that they have Zacha ahead of Barzal but think the Czech import will move to wing in the NHL.

They are also high on Connor.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I bought two copies, one for me to peruse and one that I will put in the mail tomorrow to 165 Mulberry St in Newark Attn David Conte.

Intetesting that they have Zacha ahead of Barzal but think the Czech import will move to wing in the NHL.

Where do they have Zacha, Barzal, and Connor if you don't mind me asking?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This thread's about the draft, if you want to debate Larsson the team thread's there for that.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Seems like he had a good but not great playoff. Probably a case where the latest memories are creating too big of an impression for us armchair scouts.

I'd expect them to take Strome and sort it out later. Eric Staal is entering his last year, so who knows how the Hurricanes roster is going to look ten months from now.

He is, but Jordan is signed long term there and the brothers seem pretty intent on staying together.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Thank you. Interesting they have Zacha that much higher than Barzal and Connor hot on his heels. Who do they have between Zacha and Barzal?

Werenski, saying he's the best defenseman with the puck in the draft.

An anonymous scout was quoted comparing Connor to Gaborik.

Go to a Barnes & Noble for a copy, it's a good read.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Zacha does seem to be more of a scorer than a playmaker, but with his size, defense, and overall skillset I think he can stay in the middle. I know everyone here loves Barzal but I think Zacha will be the not-so-distant future 1C of this team if drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad