Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I agree with the writer who's column was posted here last night.

We are not one or two players away from contending.

I'd rather not package our two 2nd rounders to move up to the late 1st.

Ideally, we draft 3 forwards through the first two rounds.
(1) top line highly skilled forward (Ex: Barzal/Marner/Zacha) and (2) 2nd tier forwards that were maybe overlooked due to nationality (Russian factor) or size (Ex: Dante Salituro).

Last edited:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I agree with the writer who's column was posted here last night.

We are not one or two players away from contending.

I'd rather not package our two 2nd rounders to move up to the late 1st.

Ideally, we draft 3 forwards through the first two rounds.
(1) top line highly skilled forward (Ex: Barzal/Marner/Zacha) and (2) 2nd tier forwards that were maybe overlooked due to nationality (Russian factor) or size (Ex: Dante Salituro).

What if the Devils can add more of a top6 upside prospect instead of two projects? If there is a stud we can jump up and get I say go for it. What we shouldn't be doing is trading those picks for short term veteran fixes.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What if the Devils can add more of a top6 upside prospect instead of two projects? If there is a stud we can jump up and get I say go for it. What we shouldn't be doing is trading those picks for short term veteran fixes.

It's a gamble, if the player drafted in the 20s busts you only walk away with 1 potential player out of the draft.

If we draft 3 players within the top-41 there is a good chance that at least 2 of them make it in the bigs and possibly 3.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
It's a gamble, if the player drafted in the 20s busts you only walk away with 1 potential player out of the draft.

If we draft 3 players within the top-41 there is a good chance that at least 2 of them make it in the bigs and possibly 3.

Honest question, how often does a team get 3 NHL players that score at that kind of rate?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Devils Dominion is definitely off on his odds.

http://www2.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960

Picks 6-10 have 74% odds to produce a player with 100+ GP.

Picks 36-40 have 32% odds.

Picks 41-45 have 26% odds.

And that's only for a player to play 100 games. Not for them to become a scorer.

We should be happy with one sure fire top six talent and one 2nd/3rd line tweener from our top three picks.

Using the above odds, the chances of getting three NHL players from our picks is 6.2%.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013

And that's only for a player to play 100 games. Not for them to become a scorer.

We should be happy with one sure fire top six talent and one 2nd/3rd line tweener from our top three picks.

Using the above odds, the chances of getting three NHL players from our picks is 6.2%.

Conveniently leaving out the fact that those figures are from 1995 to 2004.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Meh, those are simply general odds. On a draft-by-draft basis I like to think that our odds are greater than that. Especially in this draft which is a little deeper than average, guys that go early 2nd could normally make a case for 1st round material. Since we have 2 relatively early 2nd round picks we can really make out like bandits this year.

I like to think I'm optimistic with regards to drafting, so maybe take that with a grain of salt :laugh:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

but our chances of 2/3 is a lot higher. so the odds of getting AT LEAST 2 is 57.3% (assuming i did my math properly :x)

its not a fair set of stats anyway. after many years, those odds will even out to those numbers, but this draft pool is supposed to be deep

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Meh, those are simply general odds. On a draft-by-draft basis I like to think that our odds are greater than that. Especially in this draft which is a little deeper than average, guys that go early 2nd could normally make a case for 1st round material. Since we have 2 relatively early 2nd round picks we can really make out like bandits this year.

I like to think I'm optimistic with regards to drafting, so maybe take that with a grain of salt :laugh:

I think you're overly optimistic. We used late 1sts on guys like Matteau and Quenneville recently.

But we'll see. I'm not overly pessimistic either, just objective. If we get one really good forward out of our first three then I'm happy. Anything above that is gravy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think you're overly optimistic. We used late 1sts on guys like Matteau and Quenneville recently.

But we'll see. I'm not overly pessimistic either, just objective. If we get one really good forward out of our first three then I'm happy. Anything above that is gravy.

2 good NHL players in one draft is generally considered a pretty damn good draft. 3 is outstanding.

Think that is the perspective. IF we manage to fill two forward holes from this draft we did well.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I think I'm just optimistic this draft is really that good, and given our position those top 3 picks could be looked at as 3 first round picks in another draft (the latter 2 be late firsts).

I am confident we will be getting an amazing talent with the #6 pick though, that alone can go a long way to fixing this offense. We can finally have someone to "build around." If we draft Barzal, great now find competent goal scorers for him to feed.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Score at what rate?

Not sure what "rate" you are referring to?

The rate of being top 6 players because right now thats what we need.

Granted it was poorly worded by me in the beginning. :shakehead

To go into this draft "expecting" to land 3 forwards in our first 3 picks that go on to be in our top 6 for years to come is setting yourself up for disappointment. Its highly unlikely it takes 1 draft to fill our top 6 for the future. Its like the lottery its great to dream! As long as 1 hits it will be a good draft.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think I'm just optimistic this draft is really that good, and given our position those top 3 picks could be looked at as 3 first round picks in another draft (the latter 2 be late firsts).

I am confident we will be getting an amazing talent with the #6 pick though, that alone can go a long way to fixing this offense. We can finally have someone to "build around." If we draft Barzal, great now find competent goal scorers for him to feed.

I would be really interested to see how Barzal and Boucher work together. Put someone big on the other side and it could be a nice little like. Maybe Boucher Barzal Matteau/JQ clearly im talking about the future.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I would be really interested to see how Barzal and Boucher work together. Put someone big on the other side and it could be a nice little like. Maybe Boucher Barzal Matteau/JQ clearly im talking about the future.

I think Barzal and Boosh could work very well together. There's no doubt Boucher has an unreal shot, he just needs to work on finding/creating space for himself - which he did show some signs of improvement in my limited viewings of him with the big club.

I'd also be very interested in a Rantanen/Matteau combo. Their forechecking game would be incredible, pair them with a good center and it could be great.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The rate of being top 6 players because right now thats what we need.

Granted it was poorly worded by me in the beginning. :shakehead

To go into this draft "expecting" to land 3 forwards in our first 3 picks that go on to be in our top 6 for years to come is setting yourself up for disappointment. Its highly unlikely it takes 1 draft to fill our top 6 for the future. Its like the lottery its great to dream! As long as 1 hits it will be a good draft.

Typically yes but this is supposed to be a very deep draft.

It's not a stretch to expect 3 NHL players with our first 3 picks this June IMO.
A top line forward at 6th overall and then 2 more NHL quality players in the 2nd round.
Granted, I don't expect any of them to be in NJ this Fall and 2 out of the 3 at least for another 3 seasons.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Typically yes but this is supposed to be a very deep draft.

It's not a stretch to expect 3 NHL players with our first 3 picks this June IMO.
A top line forward at 6th overall and then 2 more NHL quality players in the 2nd round.
Granted, I don't expect any of them to be in NJ this Fall and 2 out of the 3 at least for another 3 seasons.

I mean dont get me wrong i would love it. Who knows, positive thoughts!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We are up. Looking at some rankings. Best that scouts say are left are roslovic, gagne, bitter, colon white, chlapik and it goes down from there. Guys like senyshyn and dergachyov still available too.

Who do you like at 36?

So I took Bitner. White, Roslovic, trenin and meloche were taken.

Rest I listed are still available. Who you guys like at 41?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad