Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
what's the most important is taking BPA.

if Marner is on the board there is no way you can pass on him unless they have him as some concussion prone guy.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
yeah and I wouldn't have a problem with that. They have still have 2 second round picks for forwards, Merrill and Gelinas become extremely expendable. And most likely the Devils are going to have another top 10 pick next year and then they could actually just go BFA.

I would be fine with Crouse if we were a team assembled like the Avalanche or Flyers but I just don't think it makes sense to pick him for the Devils, it's not like he's heads and shoulders above everyone in our range.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I think if you have Barzal, Provorov, Crouse at 6, you have to take Barzal. Barzal at his worst, could probably be shifted to a winger and even if he doesn't become a stud center, he should at least provide enough as a 2nd line playmaking winger.

While I like Provorov's ability, I'm just a bit leery about how long it might take him to really fill out. Crouse I'm not averse to, I just see a guy who might only be "okay" even at best.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Marner or Barzal for me.

Either guy might be the best thing to ever happen to Reid Boucher.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
See there is logic to this because after Strome, Barzal is most likely the next best true center on the board.

Marner, Zacha, and down the line all seem destined for the wing.

So what is more important taking the more skilled player, or taking a slight step down for a potential 1C?

During the Devil's Cup years, their best offensive player was never a center, so I wouldn't want to get pigeon holed into taking a player just because he's a center. IMO, a deep top 9 is the most important thing to contending for a Stanley Cup.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The thing that's nice about a Marner or Barzal, regardless of whether they become a C or a W, is that they seem to draw the coverage and make it easy for teammates to find the seams. And then they can gift-wrap goals with sharp passing. Like a (poor man's) Jagr who can actually skate.

There's no question a player who retains the puck and buys time is what works in the NJ system. If it still exists under Shero.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
The thing that's nice about a Marner or Barzal, regardless of whether they become a C or a W, is that they seem to draw the coverage and make it easy for teammates to find the seams. And then they can gift-wrap goals with sharp passing. Like a (poor man's) Jagr who can actually skate.

There's no question a player who retains the puck and buys time is what works in the NJ system. If it still exists under Shero.

I think Provorov can also ignite the scoring in his own way. He is a breakout catalyst, probably the thing we need most in the world right now.

The one problem I can see him running into is that he transitions too fast and the elderly men on the ice are still behind the red line.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
This is a good article on what the Devils should be looking to do in the draft.

https://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-...rst-devils-draft-is-crucial-for-teams-future/

Really, really good article and I pretty much agree with nearly the entire thing...other than the author mixing up the Seattle Thunderbirds and the Portland Winterhawks) and if given the opportunity to pick a Strome or Marner, we should still take Barzal. But I agree, if the top 5 go as expected, then Barzal needs to be our pick at #6.

Good callouts for the 2nd round - Roslovic, Guranayov, Bracco, Dergachyov - add in Boeser and IMHO Fischer. - Get two of those guys along with Marner/Barzal, and we could be in very nice shape - add Korostelev at #67 and we've added some talent up front!

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I have no issue if they can get a good defender in the second round or flip both picks to move back into the first.

Also still not sure between Zacha or Barzal. I'll change my mind on that pretty much every time I think about it.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I know the need for a home run forward pick but I still can't help getting excited about the thought of Provorov getting selected. Then again I don't know enough about these prospects outside of what everyone says and hightlight vids so idk...

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
It would be utterly irresponsible to allow Boucher (who hasn't even proven he's any better than Tedenby) to be a determining factor in who we pick.

It would be. However, if you look at our entire prospect group of forwards they could all be much better with a great playmaker between them. Because some lack the playmaking skills.

I think the idea is that we need to try and fill that playmaker spot now. Not only that but the odds are by the time the draft comes around those will be our two best options anyway.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
if barzal is anything like Giroux, take him unless someone higher shockingly slides. that's the way I am leaning at this point.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It would be. However, if you look at our entire prospect group of forwards they could all be much better with a great playmaker between them. Because some lack the playmaking skills.

I think the idea is that we need to try and fill that playmaker spot now. Not only that but the odds are by the time the draft comes around those will be our two best options anyway.

Even a good playmaker can't turn crap into gold. Having a great playmaker and grinders on the wings just means you see a lot of great passes turn into shots wide of the net or into the goalie's crest. Finishers are always more valuable than playmakers.

if barzal is anything like Giroux, take him unless someone higher shockingly slides. that's the way I am leaning at this point.

Giroux scored 39 goals in his draft year. Barzal scored 12. I'm not sure it's a very valid comparison.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Giroux scored 39 goals in his draft year. Barzal scored 12. I'm not sure it's a very valid comparison.

well, to be fair, giroux also had krejci with him and was playing in the Q, in a season where the highest point producer (after a quick search at least) was alex radulov with 2.45 ppg. the WHL that barzal is in this year, no one (from what I could tell) was making 1.5 ppg.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Even a good playmaker can't turn crap into gold. Having a great playmaker and grinders on the wings just means you see a lot of great passes turn into shots wide of the net or into the goalie's crest. Finishers are always more valuable than playmakers.

Why are you so focused on goals? Henrik Sedin is a great player and doesn't score many goals. Same with Nick Backstrom and Joe Thornton.

The Devils need a player who can hold onto the puck and distribute it creatively.

By the way, statistics would have said Giroux was a top 10 pick in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad