Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I think there's a good chance we get Marner to be honest. I could see Crouse going at 5 to Carolina and and having Marner fall right to 6. It'd be a dream come true, kind of like when Larsson fell to us.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I think there's a good chance we get Marner to be honest. I could see Crouse going at 5 to Carolina and and having Marner fall right to 6. It'd be a dream come true, kind of like when Larsson fell to us.

I was expecting Larsson to be there for us, I was hoping for Landeskog to fall. You knew Florida was going with a forward, so it really came down to whether Colorado was taking Landeskog or Larsson. The rumor leading up to the draft was that they were taking Landeskog, so the Larsson scenario wasn't as shocking as Marner (or Strome/Hanifin) would be.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008

Yeah, I agree think Carolina could actually be looking at any number of options - Crouse, Zacha, and Rantannen all give them the size upfront they so severely lack in their prospect pool. Provorov could be the bet DMan in he draft but with Fauk and Murphy, he may be redundant. Marner may be the highest risk/reward but he is also similar to guys like Skinner and Lindholm.

If Hanifin or Strome are there at #5, the pick is easy but otherwise it' really a crap shoot and I'd say we have a 50/50 chance at Marner - but with our drafting, we'd pick Kyle Conner and Marner will fall to the Flyers and the burn us for years.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Amazing to me how many services have Crouse over Marner. It's almost universal across the board from the major scouting services (ISS, NHL Central Scouting, etc.)

I forget who posed it, but some analyst posed the question about how Marner/Crouse would have done if they had swapped teams. London is loaded with talent and they usually have a bit of a competitive advantage compared to other OHL squads. Kingston wasn't nearly as deep and they were missing Sam Bennett for the majority of the year.

Coincidentally, Kingston originally drafted Max Domi. Domi and his dad requested a trade (Kingston's GM is Doug Gilmour) or else they had the University of Michigan as an option.

I was expecting Larsson to be there for us, I was hoping for Landeskog to fall. You knew Florida was going with a forward, so it really came down to whether Colorado was taking Landeskog or Larsson. The rumor leading up to the draft was that they were taking Landeskog, so the Larsson scenario wasn't as shocking as Marner (or Strome/Hanifin) would be.

I remember a few paranoid scenarios when I was there:

- It seemed like Colorado was leaning towards Landeskog, but they had signed Joakim Lindstrom ~10 days before the draft. Lindstrom had led the Swedish league in scoring and was also a teammate with Larsson at Skelleftea. There was one thought that they were bringing in Lindstrom as a familiar face to help acclimate Larsson.

- There was a late rumor that the Devils were going to take Mika Zibanejad. Before the draft, Zibanejad was standing near me. Most scouting reports had him at 6'1 or 6'2. I remember one had him at 6'3. I'm 5'9 (5'10 on a good day) and he was slightly taller than me. At the time I was talking with my buddy who had passed on Zibanejad in our fantasy draft the previous week. Friend said something like "I don't think Zibanejad has that much offensive upside" and I laughed since my friend was oblivious that Zibanejad was standing next to him. [/coolstorybro]

- My other paranoid scenario was Florida trading out of #3. I thought the Islanders might be interested in moving up for Larsson from #5. If Florida moved down, they would be assured that one of Huberdeau/Couturier would have been there. But I wasn't aware that Tavares and Strome were friends/trained together.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I forget who posed it, but some analyst posed the question about how Marner/Crouse would have done if they had swapped teams. London is loaded with talent and they usually have a bit of a competitive advantage compared to other OHL squads. Kingston wasn't nearly as deep and they were missing Sam Bennett for the majority of the year.

Coincidentally, Kingston originally drafted Max Domi. Domi and his dad requested a trade (Kingston's GM is Doug Gilmour) or else they had the University of Michigan as an option.

I remember a few paranoid scenarios when I was there:

- It seemed like Colorado was leaning towards Landeskog, but they had signed Joakim Lindstrom ~10 days before the draft. Lindstrom had led the Swedish league in scoring and was also a teammate with Larsson at Skelleftea. There was one thought that they were bringing in Lindstrom as a familiar face to help acclimate Larsson.

- There was a late rumor that the Devils were going to take Mika Zibanejad. Before the draft, Zibanejad was standing near me. Most scouting reports had him at 6'1 or 6'2. I remember one had him at 6'3. I'm 5'9 (5'10 on a good day) and he was slightly taller than me. At the time I was talking with my buddy who had passed on Zibanejad in our fantasy draft the previous week. Friend said something like "I don't think Zibanejad has that much offensive upside" and I laughed since my friend was oblivious that Zibanejad was standing next to him. [/coolstorybro]

- My other paranoid scenario was Florida trading out of #3. I thought the Islanders might be interested in moving up for Larsson from #5. If Florida moved down, they would be assured that one of Huberdeau/Couturier would have been there. But I wasn't aware that Tavares and Strome were friends/trained together.

But Bennett still manages over a point per game when he's with Kingston, even though they're a shallow team. I also have a hard time thinking that switching Marner and Crouse would result in a 60 point reduction in Marner's point totals (again, just looking at the stats).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
But Bennett still manages over a point per game when he's with Kingston, even though they're a shallow team. I also have a hard time thinking that switching Marner and Crouse would result in a 60 point reduction in Marner's point totals (again, just looking at the stats).

One Kingston STH mentioned that they had Bennett/Crouse on separate lines initially when Bennett came back. And that Bennett really hit his stride when they were put on the same line. It was a small sample size but after Bennett came back, Crouse was on an ~85 point pace for a full season.

I don't think anybody is arguing that Marner has better offensive capabilities than Crouse (and personally I'm taking Marner before Crouse). But now we get into how much teams value a physical 6'4 winger with a reasonable amount of skill. Might be somewhat similar to whether you wanted Gabriel Landeskog (66 points), Jonathan Huberdeau (105 points), or Ryan Strome (106 points) in 2011.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If Marner busts and Crouse becomes a star 5 years down the line and you try the hindsight stuff again I am resurrecting this thread immediately.

Even the best of the best will miss, once in a while. ;)

But, if that actually happens I would deserve the criticism.
Same with my Rags guarantee tomorrow night.
I am strongly bullish on both though.

Now, in the hockey world, when the whiffs become more frequent and prevalent, a scouting staff needs to be re-examined.

GhostofKenKlee

I have seen mocks of Marmer to Toronto and Strome to Carolina. Who do the Devils than take?

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
What about Brock Boeser or Alexander Dergachyov?
Others include Denis Guryanov, Jack Roslovich, Filip Chlapik, Thomas Novak

All good choices - prefer maybe Roslovic but also consider Rasmus Anderson (unless you chose a D in the 1st round).

Late second, maybe Christian Fischer - Big right winger...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I have also seen Crowse in top fives, you don't think the Devils take Ivan?

I think they should trade back with Columbus, Philly, or San Jose. Unless they wholeheartedly think that one of Barzal, Zacha, or Rantanen is way better then the other two.

If the Devils can start a bidding war for #6, they may be able to get some pretty good deals. Provorov is a really hot commodity in some people's eyes, hopefully one of those teams thinks that as well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think they should trade back with Columbus, Philly, or San Jose. Unless they wholeheartedly think that one of Barzal, Zacha, or Rantanen is way better then the other two.

If the Devils can start a bidding war for #6, they may be able to get some pretty good deals. Provorov is a really hot commodity in some people's eyes, hopefully one of those teams thinks that as well.

Crouse went 7th to Philly in this mock (it is HF mods with help).

Top 5 was the obvious two. 3. Marner 4. Hanafin 5. Strome and I took Barzal.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This is a good article on what the Devils should be looking to do in the draft.

https://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-...rst-devils-draft-is-crucial-for-teams-future/

Simply put, the Devils must use their sixth overall pick to find a future franchise center. They can draft for other positions later on. We are saying they will be able to. Top centers Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel are as as much a lock to go with the top two picks as any pair in NHL draft history, and while next-highest rated pivot Dylan Strome is certain to be gone by the fifth pick, the Devils can still find their guy at #6.

Let’s say the draft goes like this: after Edmonton and Buffalo take McDavid and Eichel, then Arizona and Toronto take Hanifin and Strome. The Carolina Hurricanes pick fifth, and they will likely be deciding between Mitch Marner, an undersized offensive dynamo who will be the highest-rated player on the board, and the bruising Lawson Crouse, who can fill the ‘Canes pressing team need for toughness and physicality on the scoring lines.

Whichever one the Hurricanes choose should not affect the Ray Shero’s choice, because the Devils need to take Mathew Barzal.

Going into the 2014-15 campaign, Seattle Winterhawks’ top center Barzal was ranked as high as third (behind, of course, McDavid and Eichel) on some scouts’ boards. Then he broke his kneecap, and he plummeted down the rankings. When Barzal finally returned to WHL play, his play seemed to improve with every game as his health and skating returned to 100%. He scored 34 points in his team’s final 22 games, then utterly dominated the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament.

Barzal is an outstanding skater, a sublime stickhandler and a dazzling playmaker. He has a laser-beam of a wrist shot, although he has been criticized for being a bit of a pass-first guy when he has the potential to score more goals. He shows ferocious effort on every shift, and though his defensive game needs work, it is not for lack of hustle.

His style has been compared to that of Claude Giroux, though Barzal is more willing to create offense from the dirty areas and is less of a perimeter player. The only real knock on Barzal’s potential to become a top-line NHL center is his size, but at 5’11†and 180 pounds, he can not exactly be described as “small.â€

Were it not for Barzal’s knee injury, it is possible he would be a top-five pick. The Devils absolutely must use this to their advantage and take Barzal sixth.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There's no way we should pass on Marner if he's still on the board.

Barzal is my choice if Marner is off the board, but give the choice between the two of them it's painfully obvious who the universal choice for better player is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad