Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Unfortunately we're in desperate need of both playmakers and goal scorers. If we get a playmaker we'll have no one for them to pass to, and if we get a goal scorer we'll have no one to pass it to them. Just draft the best forward and go from there.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Unfortunately we're in desperate need of both playmakers and goal scorers. If we get a playmaker we'll have no one for them to pass to, and if we get a goal scorer we'll have no one to pass it to them. Just draft the best forward and go from there.

Fair logic.

Barzal would be the best most highly skilled forward assuming Marner is gone, so he is the pick.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

the thing with goal scorers is that I feel like they're easy finds. I would argue that if we had a real 1C to pass to ryder, he would've put up huge points. imagine if barzal created space/used space like he did at the WJC in the NHL (not saying it'd be that easy for him to do, but just for arguments sake). ryder could float around like the ghost he is and probably still get some sick shots off. the thing with 1Cs with skill is that they're harder to find, IMO. which is why i'm on the barzal bandwagon too. zacha and rantanen can playmake too, but i don't think they're on the same playmaking level as barzal is

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
well, to be fair, giroux also had krejci with him and was playing in the Q, in a season where the highest point producer (after a quick search at least) was alex radulov with 2.45 ppg. the WHL that barzal is in this year, no one (from what I could tell) was making 1.5 ppg.

I don't know, I'm just not sold on using a 6th overall pick on a Center who scored 12 goals all year. Besides, there's a big difference between what percentage of Giroux's total points were goals and what percentage of Barzal's were goals. They really aren't comparable players at this point at all. Giroux was always far more well rounded.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We are up. Looking at some rankings. Best that scouts say are left are roslovic, gagne, bitter, colon white, chlapik and it goes down from there. Guys like senyshyn and dergachyov still available too.

Who do you like at 36?

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Why are you so focused on goals?.

Why are you so infatuated with Barzal? You do realize there are about six or seven players we could draft who are all very close in talent?

the thing with goal scorers is that I feel like they're easy finds. I would argue that if we had a real 1C to pass to ryder, he would've put up huge points.

If you really believe that then I just don't know what to say. :help:

GhostofKenKlee

In ideal world, the Devils take Ivan, however the best thing for them would be something like this:

Trade with San Jose swapping 1st. and picking up another 2nd.

Trading two 2nd. for another 1st.

Having a 2nd. as well.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
the thing with goal scorers is that I feel like they're easy finds. I would argue that if we had a real 1C to pass to ryder, he would've put up huge points. imagine if barzal created space/used space like he did at the WJC in the NHL (not saying it'd be that easy for him to do, but just for arguments sake). ryder could float around like the ghost he is and probably still get some sick shots off. the thing with 1Cs with skill is that they're harder to find, IMO. which is why i'm on the barzal bandwagon too. zacha and rantanen can playmake too, but i don't think they're on the same playmaking level as barzal is

There's a difference between an average goal scorer and a great goal scorer. The great scorers like Stamkos, Perry, Ovechkin, Kane, Kovalchuk, etc. create their own chances and are able to capitalize on them. They're a threat every time they touch the ice. The goal scorers who are "easy finds" like Ryder are a waste because they stand around waiting for someone to get them the puck. They're not a threat when they step on the ice and teams don't have to gameplan for them. More often than not, the cheap goal scorers are poor away from the puck and disappear for long periods of time.

It's obviously extremely difficult to get a Kane or Perry, but getting a goal scorer at 6th overall would be aiming to get a player closer to their abilities. Barzal could easily be the best player on the board at 6, but I get a Sam Gagner vibe from him. Typical "if he puts it all together..." guy where the whole never quite equals the sum of the parts.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
We are up. Looking at some rankings. Best that scouts say are left are roslovic, gagne, bitter, colon white, chlapik and it goes down from there. Guys like senyshyn and dergachyov still available too.

Who do you like at 36?

Roslovic and then Dergachyov at #41....

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Alright. Roslovic it is unless there is a last second objection.

I don't see any way you pass on Bittner if I'm reading your last post correctly with players available. Bittner and Colin White would be my top 2, but I go Bittner at 36. That's a complete steal.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
There's a difference between an average goal scorer and a great goal scorer. The great scorers like Stamkos, Perry, Ovechkin, Kane, Kovalchuk, etc. create their own chances and are able to capitalize on them. They're a threat every time they touch the ice. The goal scorers who are "easy finds" like Ryder are a waste because they stand around waiting for someone to get them the puck. They're not a threat when they step on the ice and teams don't have to gameplan for them. More often than not, the cheap goal scorers are poor away from the puck and disappear for long periods of time.

It's obviously extremely difficult to get a Kane or Perry, but getting a goal scorer at 6th overall would be aiming to get a player closer to their abilities. Barzal could easily be the best player on the board at 6, but I get a Sam Gagner vibe from him. Typical "if he puts it all together..." guy where the whole never quite equals the sum of the parts.

fair points. but then is there even an argument for a talented goal scorer in that sense? just tryin to pick yours (and everyone else's) brain a little.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I don't see any way you pass on Bittner if I'm reading your last post correctly with players available. Bittner and Colin White would be my top 2, but I go Bittner at 36. That's a complete steal.

That's a good call - Bitner is a big boy and is slated to go mid 1st - him being available at #36 is a major oversight...and at least one of the other guys mentioned will still be there at #41 anyway -

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Sorry. Ya Bittner and White are both still available.

Yeah, I would definitely go with Bittner. I doubt he'll get out of the first round. Well over a ppg pace with Portland, was ranked in the top 10 prior to this season. Currently ranked 17 by ISS and 20 by McKeen's. Big boy with speed and goal scoring abilities.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Well thats the problem with the draft. Like a box of Choclates you never know what your going to get.

Barzal, on the small side has the talent but doesnt seem to score goals on a regular basis.

Zacha, low point totals on NA ice, is that because it was a first year on NA ice or is there something else like his game doesnt translate well. Has an issue with FO at the moment. Also seems to not always be in the play when he isnt carrying the puck.

Rantanen, Seems to be a choppy skater and lot point totals have people worried about whether he can produce in the NHL.

Everyone has question marks and this is just the basic versions of those questions. Barzal is likely to be something of use in the NHL Sam Gagner is now but clearly not what people thought he would become. Zacha is the biggest bust/boom of all of them. Rantanen seems to be a safest player in my eyes he becomes a goal scorer if not then you get a Zubrus type player.

Is a crap shoot, hopefully we just hit with which ever player we draft.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
As we get closer to the draft I'm now at the point where my top three are: 1. Marner 2. Barzal 3. Crouse. I know he isn't real popular on our board, however, when so many scouts love this kid for a number of reasons, from size, skating ability to leadership ability, they all can't be wrong. I would have no problem with the Devils if they select Crouse.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If Zacha is still around when they get into the 25 range (he wont be) then Shero should do anything possible. lol

Was going to post this. Unless there is something we don't know, if Zacha turns into a faller then those two seconds need to be traded to get us into the 1st round to snag him.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
So in this mock we are now the happy owners of Barzal and Bittner with one more pick left in the 2nd round.

If only this was reality, that's already a great draft with only the first 2 picks. Basically just got our 2 best forward prospects :laugh:

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad