Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think I would accept the Sharks 1st and 2nd round picks for #6.

I probably would also do a deal centering around Columbus' pick if we can add a good young forward, even if we have to add a little bit back as well.

I would trade back to Columbus if we could get them to give up William Karlsson along with their 1st.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I would trade back to Columbus if we could get them to give up William Karlsson along with their 1st.

Columbus wants defense, they know we're going forward and Philly likely is as well. They have no incentive to give up William Karlsson.

Also, I'm not moving below Philly for a 2nd round pick. The odds of hitting on a 2nd round pick are only about 30% and I would hate to see them take a guy like Barzal or Marner who kills us for 15 years.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Columbus wants defense, they know we're going forward and Philly likely is as well. They have no incentive to give up William Karlsson.

Also, I'm not moving below Philly for a 2nd round pick. The odds of hitting on a 2nd round pick are only about 30% and I would hate to see them take a guy like Barzal or Marner who kills us for 15 years.

It depends on the defensemen available. We don't know if they have someone they really want on their board. They 'know' we want a forward but it's a big poker game. No reason not to bluff.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I will be pissed if we take HAnifin at 6

if we take ANY OTHER DMAN BUT Hanifin, I will lose it

They're likely to be the BPAs when we draft -- Hanifin or Provorov. If the Devils really don't want them, and in some ways we can use a very good LHD. Then we should absolutely consider trading because other teams will.

Philly is a total wild card. And that's exactly why San Jose is an interesting option. They could likely want to beat Columbus to one of the higher D if they're available. If the Devils and San Jose are talking to move up, you know damn sure Columbus will be in discussions with the Devils as well.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

You dont move down if Marner is available.

And they are going to get a chance at hitting with Provorov, Rantanen, Barzal, Zacha or Crouse. They have nearly the same player options we do so they are getting 1. Their odds are nearly zero of landing Marner.

You cant go to the draft and be scared about making moves because ur worried about a division rival taking a player. All of the guys are good players we debate all the time about which we should take, face it whether the Devils draft 6 or 9 or 29 the Flyers are going to come out of this draft with a good player. You worry about your team and what you think is best.

30% huh i like those odds better with 3 2nd round picks then just 2.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
They're likely to be the BPAs when we draft -- Hanifin or Provorov. If the Devils really don't want them, and in some ways we can use a very good LHD. Then we should absolutely consider trading because other teams will.

Philly is a total wild card. And that's exactly why San Jose is an interesting option. They could likely want to beat Columbus to one of the higher D if they're available. If the Devils and San Jose are talking to move up, you know damn sure Columbus will be in discussions with the Devils as well.

I love this thinking. San Jose is more likely to want to move up to get the better DMan because of their position. If they're willing to move up we can play Columbus to try to get them to beat the offer.

San Jose likely offers #9 and their 2nd. At worst, Columbus matches that if they know SJS is going to take 'their' guy. We'd at least get an additional 2nd and only have to move down one spot, essentially getting a free pick. I'd still like to bluff CLB, let them think we'll take our chances at #9 unless they cough up Rychel.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I love this thinking. San Jose is more likely to want to move up to get the better DMan. If they're willing to move up we can play Columbus to try to get them to beat the offer.

That's the plan, in my opinion. Any way I twist it I still see an opportunity to get a good forward also.

You still get a guy like Rantanen or Barzal or Zacha as well. If you can't decide between them or if you feel the difference isn't that large but you can pick up a few assets, there is no reason not to do something like this.

If you turn to Columbus and say San Jose is offering me #9 and #39 to move up, the ball is in the Devils court -- or the puck is on the Devils ice :laugh: -- to try to pull as much as they can out of Columbus. Not that it will happen, but we can try to get them to part with Rychel or Karlsson or maybe even Dano. It won't hurt to try and we would have leverage.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

The idea is this.

McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, and Hanifin go in the top five. Order doesn't really matter. The next tier is Provorov, Barzal, Rantanen, Zacha, and Crouse.

Let's say the Devils don't have a particular favorite forward. They like Barzal, Rantanen, Zacha, and Crouse. They might have a favorite, but they don't think one particular guy is head over heels better than the rest. It's almost a sure guarantee that Columbus wants a D, same thing goes for San Jose. If you trade back with San Jose, that likely means that two D are gone. San Jose takes Provorov and Columbus takes Werenski or whoever they like. That would mean you still would have Barzal, Rantanen, Zacha, and Crouse to choose from -- depending on who Philly picks. Even if Columbus picks a forward, you still have two of Barzal, Rantanen, Crouse, and Zacha. It's very likely we could pick a player at 9 that we would have originally tried to get at 6.

Not only that, but we would pick up a third high second round pick. For a team devoid on forward prospects and assets, we now have three very valuable second round picks. If we use them all, we are going to have some very good forward prospects. If we trade them, we could get a good young NHL player. I just don't see what there is to lose.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The "next tier" idea is an easy way to rationalize things, but overall it's not based in fact.

It's pretty much the overwhelming consensus. However, it is true that some teams rate players higher than others. I think I read somewhere that some scouts and teams think Provorov is the better player than Hanifin. If a team like San Jose thinks that, then they are likely very, very high on Provorov. I think you get the point.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I also dont believe at all that the Flyers will pass on either Crouse or Provorov. I have no idea which they would prefer thats for sure.

But i know that 1 of them will not make it to Columbus and damn sure wont get to San Jose. Columbus may value Provorov and want to make the jump. I really dunno if we would get a player out of it but i can see us getting another 2nd out of it.

If that happens i see the Flyers going Crouse. Devils back on the clock at 8 with Barzal, Zacha, Rantanen plus another 2nd looking really smart.

The good thing is the Devils dont need to be the ones threating to take Provorov. All the Blue Jackets and Sharks need is a little seed that the Flyers might do it and that will force them to make a move.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Hanifin, Marner, or Provorov will be the BPA at 6, unless people think Crouse belongs in there too. Since Provorov is the most likely to be available, that is who I wouldn't be surprised with drafting.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I think trading up should be a consideration, too. Marner is totally worth it. He could easily be the next Elias or better.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Wonder if we should look into trying to acquire pick #18? Both our 2nds and Merrill to edm for 18?

Edmonton doesn't need LHD. They have plenty.

Klefbom, Marincin, Nurse, and I'm forgetting a couple. I like Merrill but he's not as good as those guys and the ones that he is, he's not that much better that Edmonton trades #18 for Merrill. They could definitely use a RHD though.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not trading any of our guys for draft picks.

thats counter intuitive

Especially to move up in the draft. I am not against moving one but I want it to be for a player who can help us next year. Gelinas + Florida's 2nd would be ideal for someone like Sharp. Can be in the top 6 immediately. Otherwise keep the picks and stockpile our forward prospects.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Especially to move up in the draft. I am not against moving one but I want it to be for a player who can help us next year. Gelinas + Florida's 2nd would be ideal for someone like Sharp. Can be in the top 6 immediately. Otherwise keep the picks and stockpile our forward prospects.

Sharp is going on 34. As Shero said, I don't want us trading futures on a move that won't make sense three or four years down the road.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I'm not trading any of our guys for draft picks.

thats counter intuitive

I don't think it's counter intuitive. We're looking at several years before we can realistically compete for a cup again. If an option becomes available that helps us reach that goal, I think you consider it.

We should keep our options open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad