Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I mean I don't think it's a real bad idea to draft Provorov.

Draft 2 forwards with the 2nd round picks(Korotstelev, Guryanov, Beauvillier, Sprong etc.) and then trading both Merrill and Gelinas for forwards becomes an option because at that point the top 4 is Larsson, Greene, Severson, and Provorov.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think it's counter intuitive. We're looking at several years before we can realistically compete for a cup again. If an option becomes available that helps us reach that goal, I think you consider it.

We should keep our options open.

if we're talking about trading old players, sure, yea, I'm with you. but what good does trading 23 year old DMEn for picks do? none whatsoever. its nonsense.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I'm not trading any of our guys for draft picks.

thats counter intuitive

if we're talking about trading old players, sure, yea, I'm with you. but what good does trading 23 year old DMEn for picks do? none whatsoever. its nonsense.

I'd only consider it for a top 5 pick, given how deep this one is. Probably won't happen, but we never thought Schneider would be available either.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'd only consider it for a top 5 pick, given how deep this one is. Probably won't happen, but we never thought Schneider would be available either.

Gelinas and our 2 2nds could get a nice pick in the teens and I wouldn't be that upset with that.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
rather just use all 3 picks and keep Gelinas

we need to maximize assets not consolidate them

I tend to agree here.

If we can get a young up and coming player with Gelly or Merrill that is in line with their age and progression i would like it better. I dont really want to trade into the early teens giving up both 2nds.

I would consider 1 of them and 1 2nd but im not sure about that. It also depends on if the Devils move down and again other picks.

Lots can happen.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The only way I'm moving Gelinas or Merrill is if we get a forward under 25. Trading it for picks can work but odds are it doesn't. We know what Merrill and Gelinas are, picks are a crapshoot.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I mean I don't think it's a real bad idea to draft Provorov.

Draft 2 forwards with the 2nd round picks(Korotstelev, Guryanov, Beauvillier, Sprong etc.) and then trading both Merrill and Gelinas for forwards becomes an option because at that point the top 4 is Larsson, Greene, Severson, and Provorov.

I would love that as a D core but our forwards are so bad that we can't afford that.

I'm also not confident that Merrill or Gelinas can fetch what we would need if we draft Provorov. It seems like most teams don't need LHD, and those that do aren't good trading partners. In a nutshell, it seems as if we would get a better forward prospect that fits how this team is headed by drafting then we would by trading Gelinas or Merrill. The only way around that is like a lateral trade like the Shattenkirk and Erik Johnson one.

I only say that because Merrill and Gelinas will likely return us someone like Backes or Oshie or Sharp or Eriksson. I would love every one of those guys on this team but we don't have young talent to supplement them. It would make no sense from a current or future standpoint. The only way around that is drafting Provorov, letting Merrill and Gelinas boost their value next season, and then trade them next off season when hopefully some guys like our 2015 pick, Blandisi, Coleman, Matteau, and Boucher would give us a strong enough forward group that it makes sense. That would mean we would be in for another long low-scoring season.

All things considered the Devils are just in a really weird situation right now. I'm curious to see how Shero approaches it.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I would love that as a D core but our forwards are so bad that we can't afford that.

I'm also not confident that Merrill or Gelinas can fetch what we would need if we draft Provorov. It seems like most teams don't need LHD, and those that do aren't good trading partners. In a nutshell, it seems as if we would get a better forward prospect that fits how this team is headed by drafting then we would by trading Gelinas or Merrill. The only way around that is like a lateral trade like the Shattenkirk and Erik Johnson one.

I only say that because Merrill and Gelinas will likely return us someone like Backes or Oshie or Sharp or Eriksson. I would love every one of those guys on this team but we don't have young talent to supplement them. It would make no sense from a current or future standpoint. The only way around that is drafting Provorov, letting Merrill and Gelinas boost their value next season, and then trade them next off season when hopefully some guys like our 2015 pick, Blandisi, Coleman, Matteau, and Boucher would give us a strong enough forward group that it makes sense. That would mean we would be in for another long low-scoring season.

All things considered the Devils are just in a really weird situation right now. I'm curious to see how Shero approaches it.

Any player over 25 should be out of the question unless it's an unrestricted free agent who doesn't cost assets. Parting with someone like Gelinas or Merrill should return a player like Kadri who is similar in age and ability. I'm not opposed to Hanifin or even Provorov, but only in the case that they're far and away the top player on our board.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Any player over 25 should be out of the question unless it's an unrestricted free agent who doesn't cost assets. Parting with someone like Gelinas or Merrill should return a player like Kadri who is similar in age and ability. I'm not opposed to Hanifin or even Provorov, but only in the case that they're far and away the top player on our board.

That is exactly my point. It makes no sense for the Devils to trade for a guy over 25. However, a deal like Merrill for Kadri for example is so risky. It takes serious balls for a GM to make a trade like that because one team can make out like bandits while the other team gets screwed over. Trades that involve young players and risk like that usually involve more pieces. I always go back to this trade because it's the last one I can remember with this similar risk:

Shattenkirk + Stewart + conditional 2nd for Erik Johnson + Jay McClement + conditional 1st

That was a ballsy trade for both teams. I don't think the Devils could afford to do a trade like that. Guys like Merrill are typically packaged with picks for a team that either wants to rebuild or to get assets for an older player and get a new infusion of youth. Youth + picks generally gets you older players, especially quality players. The Devils aren't in a position to make that kind of trade. Drafting Provorov almost makes us have to trade Gelinas or Merrill and I can't think of a deal that would make sense for us right now by trading them.

Right now, Merrill is likely not going to be traded on an ELC. Gelinas after this past season probably gets us someone like Chiasson. A nice young player, but not a difference maker. I feel like it wouldn't be worth it to draft Provorov when we likely wouldn't be able to get a high end forward prospect or player from Gelinas or Merrill.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think I rather draft a D in the second even if we plan to trade one of the kids.

We have a good track record in the 2nd round already. Don't mind using one on D and one on a forward or in a trade for a forward.

Then use the 1st on a forward as well (Marner/Strome if we get lucky if not then Barzal)

I don't think it's impossible that Strome is the one kicked out of the top 5 and not Marner.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I'd say 30% chance Marner falls to us, if not I want Barzal

My sentiments. I think what our prospect pool is lacking are two things.. speed and creativity - both of which Marner exemplifies and if he's available at #5, I'm not positive that Carolina takes him, however, if they are meh, they might be temped to move back one place knowing that we want him for a small price. I would think that carolina, with their smallish, unphysical prospects, could use a guy like Crouse or Rantannen, or even Zacha instead. Why not offer up our 3rd (pick 67) or a prospect like Pietila? Doesn't seem like much but Carolina gets something for nothing and we can guarantee we get our guy.

Otherwise, I agree that we SHOULD grab Barzal at #6. Again, he has that creativity that we severely lack from our prospects, especially at center. Tel me that this team couldn't use a circa 2000 Scott Gomez? The ONLY guy other than Marner/Barzal that I'd be tempted to consider would be Provorov. I like what he brings and again, I don;t think our depth of defensive prospects or current youth bring what he does. He could be our next Neidermeyer. I agree that a move like this would almost scream the need to make a trade for a forward - i this case, they Merrill or Gelinas MUST be moved.

I'd talk to detroit about a move for Merrill, (a Michigan boy) and they have a treasure chest full of offensive youth - try to pry out a guy like Mantha for Merrill and a pick. Also can talk to San Jose or Dallas. Gelinas for Brett Ritchie? We can afford to move one of these two and then stop gap by signing Oduya for 2/3 years. Allows time for Santini to also come up and we have Hrbarenka and Helgeson not far off As 5/6 dmen.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What's just amusing to me is after an inordinate number of expert mocks and poster mocks we all think the draft's going to break in certain patterns...but it seldom works out that way on draft day. Nobody thought Larsson would drop to 4, or the Russian winger everyone wanted before the Cory trade to 11. Nine million NFL Draft mocks in publication and none of them had that DT from USC falling to the Jets at 6 just a couple weeks ago. It'll probably be the same thing here, someone we won't expect to fall to us will.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
What's just amusing to me is after an inordinate number of expert mocks and poster mocks we all think the draft's going to break in certain patterns...but it seldom works out that way on draft day. Nobody thought Larsson would drop to 4, or the Russian winger everyone wanted before the Cory trade to 11. Nine million NFL Draft mocks in publication and none of them had that DT from USC falling to the Jets at 6 just a couple weeks ago. It'll probably be the same thing here, someone we won't expect to fall to us will.

I feel like the first 10 or 12 players is a lock its just a matter of the order in which they go. I dont see anyone jumping up or anyone reaching or anyone outside the top 10 or 12 guys.

McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner, Barzal, Provorov, Crouse, Rantanen, Zacha, Werenski. I do believe those will be the first 11 picks i just dunno the order. That group is just a slightly more talented then the next tier.

What i want to happen in a bad way is for someone in the teens like Kyle Connor to start dropping into the mid-20's and Shero take a shot a jumping up for him. Walking out of the Draft with Marner or Barzal and Connor would be HUGE. No idea what it would take something around 36 and a 2016 3rd is where i would start and got from there.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It'd probably take both our 2nds to jump back into the first round. The Ho-Sang trade for the Isles is a comparable one...they gave up #35 and #57 to jump to #28. Our 2nds are higher so maybe you could get back a 3rd or something.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
It'd probably take both our 2nds to jump back into the first round. The Ho-Sang trade for the Isles is a comparable one...they gave up #35 and #57 to jump to #28. Our 2nds are higher so maybe you could get back a 3rd or something.

If it was for the right player like Kyle Connor i would trade our high 2nd and our 3rd to grab him and wouldnt think twice.

Hell if i can add a 2016 3rd just to get up higher then 28 id be ok with that also.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

It was really clear there was a possibility Larsson would drop to us. The only thing really keeping it from being next to a sure thing was whether the Oilers would take him. The Avs could of picked him but they had I think the 11th pick as well which was probably going to be used on a defenseman (and was), and the Panthers didn't really need a defenseman.

Anyway, http://thehockeywriters.com/mikko-rantanen-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/ there's a nice little blurb on Rantanen.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I was gonna say too, I don't know if I was that surprised to see nichushkin fall either.

The draft mocks are never going to be perfect but if you listen for some of the whispers from the community, they can occasionally contain some insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad