LeBrun: Teams Wondering if an Offer Sheet a Plausible Avenue for Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I am guessing you believe that MTL is a good team since you fired Bergevin?

2023-24: 28th best team in the NHL
2022-23: 28th best team in the NHL
2021-22: 32nd best team in the NHL

Oops I guess MTL still sucks. Or did you just make a stupid joke?
What a shortsighted take. Buffoon level.

Current management inherited the worst team in the league with lots of bad contracts and had to go through a proper rebuild for the first time in decades. Hope you're not making an argument that the Kent Hughes and co. staff are as incompetent as the Marc Bergevin management because they aren't competitive 2 years later.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
If the Canes can't get Guentzel re-signed and Necas gets inevitably traded, they need offense in the worst possible way. MTL fans are dreaming to think the Canes are trading their 50-60+pt speedy winger with much higher upside for a 30yr old LHD (which we have covered) with Slavin/Orlov. I will buy a MTL jersey with Matheson's name on it if he gets traded for Necas. I'm not sure why these two teams get mentioned together regarding Necas, but i've yet to see where Matheson is legitimately tied to it.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

Dude first couple years there it’s been about development. We had 5 rookie Ds two years ago. Five kids up front. This isn’t the Bergevin era anymore but you’ll see the fruits of that development probably as soon as this season

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Pagnotta was really wrong about everything with the Guentzel trade outside of Guentzel was going to Carolina after others said it.

Morrow was in the deal
The deal came with an extension
Etc.

Pagnotta doesn’t have an in with Carolina

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

I guess Montreal should miss the playoffs 9 seasons in a row and then they can be at Carolinas level.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
no one uses this very effective tool, to one, possibly find a way to upgrade your team without an upfront cost, and two, to put other teams in a tough position cap wise. I'm waiting for a new, young GM to come in and stir things up, but I've been waiting a long time.

Reactions: scholl

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I feel like any potential Necas trade with Montreal centers around one of Dach or Newhook if Carolina chooses to trade with them. Considering the long-term injuries, Dach is probably the more realistic add between the two.

In general, a highly-touted young player who has had some adjustment issues and/or injury issues, similar to Byram, is what the Canes are looking for in a Necas trade. Think Perfetti from the Jets, Dach from the Habs, or Quinn from the Sabres as the sort of targets that Carolina is looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatass

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I feel like any potential Necas trade with Montreal centers around one of Dach or Newhook if Carolina chooses to trade with them. Considering the long-term injuries, Dach is probably the more realistic add between the two.

In general, a highly-touted young player who has had some adjustment issues and/or injury issues, similar to Byram, is what the Canes are looking for in a Necas trade. Think Perfetti from the Jets, Dach from the Habs, or Quinn from the Sabres as the sort of targets that Carolina is looking for.
Dach was off the table for PLD last summer and would be for Necas as well. I don’t think Newhook has that kind of value and Guhle is definitely off limit. I’m not sure what else Carolina could ask for or want other than Matheson, which I don’t think Montreal could offer. It does look like unless Carolina change their ask - meaning they would accept future - then there’s really nothing Montreal could afford to give.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Dach was off the table for PLD last summer and would be for Necas as well. I don’t think Newhook has that kind of value and Guhle is definitely off limit. I’m not sure what else Carolina could ask for or want other than Matheson, which I don’t think Montreal could offer. It does look like unless Carolina change their ask - meaning they would accept future - then there’s really nothing Montreal could afford to give.

They should be able to get a guy like the ones I listed. Buffalo and Colorado already set the precedent, and Mittelstadt and Necas are similar offensive players with similar amounts of team control (2 years of RFA before UFA).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
They should be able to get a guy like the ones I listed. Buffalo and Colorado already set the precedent, and Mittelstadt and Necas are similar offensive players with similar amounts of team control (2 years of RFA before UFA).
Necas is on another tier offensively. Mittelstadt has seasons of 59 and 57, Necas has seasons of 53, 71, and another pacing for 63 in the Covid divisions.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
They might, just not from Montreal.

Necas is on another tier offensively. Mittelstadt has seasons of 59 and 57, Necas has seasons of 53, 71, and another pacing for 63 in the Covid divisions.

Mittelstadt is a C and Necas is not. That has added value to a team and GM because those are much harder to find than wingers.

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga

Quinn is not realistic.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Aren't they changing their defense?
Have Slavin and Orlov on the left side this year. Even at Matheson's great contract, we're not weakening our F corps to go 3 deep on the LHD side this year and our best spec is Nikishin, also a LHD, probably a year away.

So...no need for a LHD.

We have a RHD, RH 2C, and goal-scoring need.

Reactions: SlavinAway

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
i like necas but how high are teams willing to go with him. just offering market value isn't going to cut it.
what is his market value?
Carolina has shown they will match for a player they want. I think the reason you could theoretically expect an offersheet is Carolina doesn't actually want Necas.

The reason they haven't traded him is the think other teams view him as an impact top 6 forward, and want to be paid for that, but at the same time, the Hurricanes don't think he is that.

I don't expect an offersheet, but theoretically if you give him a contract that Carolina views as a "negative value" contract, you can undercut his perceived trade value in compensation.
I think there may be a trade already to go once the playoffs are over. Big trade with multiple players maybe.
Carolina has 23+ mil in cap space now but that might not be enough if they want to sign Guentzel to the rumoured offer.
They have quite a number of players that will expect a raise, they can't let that many get to July 1 or they are in big trouble.
They will want cost certainty for at least a year in player they get back.
They might want an offer sheet to save cap space and take the picks.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Hockey insiders have become women at the hairdressers in the 50's with the big dryer on their heads gossiping all the time about nothing. No shit Pierre teams are exploring possible offersheeting a rfa. Shocking

Post of the day. I love your comparison lol.

Reactions: DaveG

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hockey insiders have become women at the hairdressers in the 50's with the big dryer on their heads gossiping all the time about nothing. No shit Pierre teams are exploring possible offersheeting a rfa. Shocking

I don't know what's worse, the insiders saying these things to get clicks or the gullible fans believing it all the time.

Reactions: DaveG

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Why do I feel like Necas and Pesce will be Preds?
I do believe Pesce will be.

I'm just having trouble imagining how Necas would be? Because the Preds just don't have the kinds of players who would make for a "hockey trade"? I'm assuming the Canes don't need a goalie, so it wouldn't be for Saros. Past Saros, who else do the Preds even have? Spare parts like Tomasino or Fabbro, or prospects/picks aren't "hockey trade" material. And the Preds are too thin everywhere else and don't have legit NHL players to offer up in any Necas trade scenario? :dunno:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I do believe Pesce will be.

I'm just having trouble imagining how Necas would be? Because the Preds just don't have the kinds of players who would make for a "hockey trade"? I'm assuming the Canes don't need a goalie, so it wouldn't be for Saros. Past Saros, who else do the Preds even have? Spare parts like Tomasino or Fabbro, or prospects/picks aren't "hockey trade" material. And the Preds are too thin everywhere else and don't have legit NHL players to offer up in any Necas trade scenario? :dunno:
Ya - Canes and Preds are not good trading partners. Not seeing a good fit with Seattle or MTL either if it's a 'hockey trade' so I guess we'll see.

Maybe Seattle for McCann? Or Bjorkstrand?
I just don't see why Seattle would trade them. They are their best offensive players.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad