LeBrun: Teams Wondering if an Offer Sheet a Plausible Avenue for Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Good player but being pumped up more than what he is. Someone is going to pay him too much.

Not sure of the truth on this but my hunch tells me he's asking for too much and this is why the Canes are considering trades. Whoever trades for him (doubt the offer sheet happens), will have to trade big assets and sign him to a big contract. Without playing one game on their team. A little different than trading for someone who has a few RFA years left and you can bridge them and see how they look on your roster.

Very curious to see how the Necas situation unfolds. Canes are frugal so I don't see them overextending on a contract.
He’s told the team he wants out. There’s no secret going on. It’s not that he’s asking too much (though I’m sure his agent is). He wants a fresh start, doesn’t think the system fits him well and that another team would use him better. He’s generally right, though I wish there was a compromise on both sides.

Reactions: Tryamw and freester

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He’s told the team he wants out. There’s no secret going on. It’s not that he’s asking too much (though I’m sure his agent is). He wants a fresh start, doesn’t think the system fits him well and that another team would use him better. He’s generally right, though I wish there was a compromise on both sides.

Interesting situation. I would like to add him but both the trade price and his next contract is probably too much for me.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It would be funny if Carolina lost Necas to an offersheet considering their dumbass owner sent a retalitory offersheet to Montreal for Bustaniemi, who they then signed to an anchor of a deal.

I genuinely feel bad for anyone who roots for that organization…

You feel bad for fans of an organization that is consistently one of the best teams in the league?

Kind of funny coming from a fan of one of the most irrelevant teams in the league.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Interesting situation. I would like to add him but both the trade price and his next contract is probably too much for me.
It’s tough to evaluate value for a trade. He’s 25 and he’s a scorer. Even at his lower point production he has production, high speed, amazing three on three. Give him steady, reasonably talented linemates and pp time and you’re getting 60 pts. You might get 80. You get him for two years before the big contract and maybe you can buy some of those years now on this contract. Even if he’s only staying for two years he’s a very good player. He’s worth something good.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s tough to evaluate value for a trade. He’s 25 and he’s a scorer. Even at his lower point production he has production, high speed, amazing three on three. Give him steady, reasonably talented linemates and pp time and you’re getting 60 pts. You might get 80. You get him for two years before the big contract and maybe you can buy some of those years now on this contract. Even if he’s only staying for two years he’s a very good player. He’s worth something good.

No doubt. He's someone who skates very well and works hard every shift. Has a good shot. Good development and good production. How much more growth? That's subjective to who you ask.

I'd love to add him on the Habs but the cost to acquire and contract scares me. I prefer the Dach and Newhook adds because they were RFA with years left so we could bridge them and evaluate on our own roster. With Necas, you got to commit to the long contract right away.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Bergevin in Blake's office begging him to do it - for shits and giggles

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
No doubt. He's someone who skates very well and works hard every shift. Has a good shot. Good development and good production. How much more growth? That's subjective to who you ask.

I'd love to add him on the Habs but the cost to acquire and contract scares me. I prefer the Dach and Newhook adds because they were RFA with years left so we could bridge them and evaluate on our own roster. With Necas, you got to commit to the long contract right away.
I think Montreal has done well to add to their rebuild using those trades you referenced. Finding young guys that have maybe stalled where they are. I don’t know if there’s a match between the teams, but I do think Necas would fit in there. Any team that isn’t 100% defense first oriented could find a fit, though teams that have quick offenses and want to attack would make the most sense.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Standard tactic by GM's to try to reduce the asking price via trade, leak OS rumors to the media. GM's use the media so much its crazy. Could a OS happen, sure but highly unlikely.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Montreal has done well to add to their rebuild using those trades you referenced. Finding young guys that have maybe stalled where they are. I don’t know if there’s a match between the teams, but I do think Necas would fit in there. Any team that isn’t 100% defense first oriented could find a fit, though teams that have quick offenses and want to attack would make the most sense.

Well said. Necas does fit on that high tempo fast skating type strategy.

If you trade for him, you have two years until UFA to figure it out.

I was wondering about that. Wasn't sure if he had 1 or 2 years or RFA left. Problem is Necas/Agent are not looking for a 1 year deal at this point. 2 years doesn't work either because he can walk and then you are left with nothing.

Whoever trades for him, I suspect it will be a 6+ term.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think it's likely Necas would take a 1 year deal on a new team to prove himself and get a bigger long term payday in 2025. The alternative in 2025 is another 1 year deal walking himself to UFA.

So I don't think he's locked into a long term deal this year, especially if the team acquiring him is planning to play him 1RW or at center.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it's likely Necas would take a 1 year deal on a new team to prove himself and get a bigger long term payday in 2025. The alternative in 2025 is another 1 year deal walking himself to UFA.

So I don't think he's locked into a long term deal this year, especially if the team acquiring him is planning to play him 1RW or at center.

I don't think that has high probability. Changing teams could create some setbacks. I think he is after the long term deal. However, lets say he is open to the 1 year prove it deal. That's means something for me because he is confident

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

I think the challenge for any team who gives him a higher dollar 1 year deal is that then becomes the starting point for the qualifying offer in the last year of his contract.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Per CF, teams that can do a 123 offer sheet without having to reacquire any pick(s):

Buffalo
Chicago
Detroit
L.A.
Minnesota
Montreal
Nashville
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Seattle
St. Louis
Utah
Washington

Carolina was an elite team in 2021. The Kotkaniemi pick had limited downside risk. A number of the above would be crazy to give up an unprotected 2025 1st for Necas.

I could see Utah doing it to make a big splash.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The thing that would trouble me about trading for Necas is that he is demanding out of Carolina, seemingly because he wants to play C in a high octane system... but here's the thing... Carolina would LOVE for him to be able to play C, we need a 2C solution, but he hasn't shown a single thing that would lead you to believe that he would be effective at it.

Faceoffs = X
Two-way play = X
Effectively using linemates = X
On ice awareness = X
Takes bad penalties = ✓

This guy is maybe the best 3 on 3 OT player in the league or at least he would be in the conversation there. That is how he wants to play hockey and that seems to be why he wants to play C. Because C controls the ice and gets the puck and the players follow him.

To be on a team that has Aho, Jordan Staal as your Captain and Rod Brind'Amour as your head coach and you aren't taking steps to becoming a C at the NHL level or being given the opportunity in games... This is a huge red flag to me. You can throw Trocheck for his few years here as well into the mix. All of those guys do a lot of things very well between them that you want out of your C's.

The Canes system and team philosophy and Necas don't mix and that's obvious. I don't doubt Necas could score a bunch more points on a team like Edmonton, Colorado, Toronto, Tampa, NYR... but Carolina also was 7th in league scoring this year. It's not like he was playing with a roster of scrubs and bleeding points because of it. Yes, he wasn't getting the same amount of PP time so I get the frustration from his side but I think you'd prefer a player take steps to show that they deserve a bigger role and more responsibility rather than just bury their head in the sand and say 'this is the way I play hockey, take it or leave it'.

Reactions: Primetime8

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I don't think that has high probability. Changing teams could create some setbacks. I think he is after the long term deal. However, lets say he is open to the 1 year prove it deal. That's means something for me because he is confident
Especially if the team he winds up on lets him play C. I get he’s confident and thinks he can do it at the nhl level but it’s also risky and could cost him if it doesn’t go well.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Hockey insiders have become women at the hairdressers in the 50's with the big dryer on their heads gossiping all the time about nothing. No shit Pierre teams are exploring possible offersheeting a rfa. Shocking
I've always pictured them as basement-dwelling incel gamers, dreaming up trade rumors in the chat of World of Warcraft.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
From what I've read on this is Necas wants out of Carolina. I have no idea why, because they're a good team, but I guess he wants to be "the guy" somewhere else.

So why would he sign an offer sheet (presumably long term), that CAR could always just match?

Money talks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad