LeBrun: Teams Wondering if an Offer Sheet a Plausible Avenue for Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What would be the compensation for 7.5 x 7?

Offer sheets longer than five years get calculated differently. It'd be the total contract divided by 5 to figure out the compensation bucket. So in this case: 7.5 x 7 / 5 is 10.5 mil which would fall into the two first round picks (2025+2026), and 2026 2nd + 3rd rounders.

Thought I saw the RFA threshold get announced a few weeks ago but I'm not sure if that was before the cap number got adjusted to be slightly higher.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
I think the greatest risk to Carolina is if a team signs him to a 1-year offer sheet with a NMC that walks him to unrestricted free agency. A team could sign him to a 6.5 M one year deal and if Carolina doesn't match it's a 1st and 3rd. If they do match then they probably lose him next season for nothing. Teams should do this on a regular basis.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
From what I've read on this is Necas wants out of Carolina. I have no idea why, because they're a good team, but I guess he wants to be "the guy" somewhere else.

So why would he sign an offer sheet (presumably long term), that CAR could always just match?
Settles his money and contract. Not everyone wants to drag that stuff out

Reactions: Canadienna

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think the greatest risk to Carolina is if a team signs him to a 1-year offer sheet with a NMC that walks him to unrestricted free agency. A team could sign him to a 6.5 M one year deal and if Carolina doesn't match it's a 1st and 3rd. If they do match then they probably lose him next season for nothing. Teams should do this on a regular basis.
He has 2 years before UFA

19 year olds in the AHL contracts still roll a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chan790

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
They didn't do any offer sheets during the flat cap area when there were multiple opportunitys where teams wouldn't be able to match, now they will do one when the cap finally goes up and everybody has cap space?

Can they put NMC in an offer sheet deal?
Only for the years when he has UFA status, he is not eligble before that.

Reactions: DaveG and Chan790

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Let me guess…Montreal signs Necas to a team friendly offer sheet which Carolina immediately accepts after 6 days and 23 hours.

The quality of both hockey players and storylines out of the province of Quebec has really taken a nosedive lately. Get it together. Get some new, original material guys.

Let's see like a retaliatory offer sheet of $6M for Arber Xhekaj or something. Get it rolling.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
We’ve already shown we’d match so it would have to be a legit big offer. I love me some Necas but I don’t think a team would do that. If you did go big I doubt we’d match.
Also wouldn't the cost of the offer sheet be too rich for the signing team?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
And then the player has the team that offer-sheeted by the balls. They either pay his demands or he walks and they paid a 1st + 3rd for a rental and he can't be traded.

Most teams that have the assets and cap space to offer sheet a player need some certainty or else it's the equivalent of trading for a pending UFA.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Could always sign him to a reasonable cap hit for a two year term and walk him to UFA. If Carolina matches it significantly shortens their cup window.
He wants out. We can safely assume he will not sign any offer sheet he knows will be matched, no matter how terrible for Carolina it is. Because it will be matched and based on history, we can also assume Carolina returns fire at a later date.

OSing Necas is going to require someone to gamble by paying him a salary his current performance doesn't justify, then overpay their own RFAs to not risk losing them.

The OS talk is posturing to try to lower Carolina's asking price more than a credible threat

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good player but being pumped up more than what he is. Someone is going to pay him too much.

Not sure of the truth on this but my hunch tells me he's asking for too much and this is why the Canes are considering trades. Whoever trades for him (doubt the offer sheet happens), will have to trade big assets and sign him to a big contract. Without playing one game on their team. A little different than trading for someone who has a few RFA years left and you can bridge them and see how they look on your roster.

Very curious to see how the Necas situation unfolds. Canes are frugal so I don't see them overextending on a contract.

Reactions: freester

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad