LeBrun: Teams Wondering if an Offer Sheet a Plausible Avenue for Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Forgive me for not following here but the ask is too high, so teams want to give a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd for Necas, because there’s no way he gets less than 6.5…?

Love him on the Leafs but unless he’s a part of a Marner return which is probably not going down because CAR would probably want Knies, a 1st and a +.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Forgive me for not following here but the ask is too high, so teams want to give a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd for Necas, because there’s no way he gets less than 6.5…?

Love him on the Leafs but unless he’s a part of a Marner return which is probably not going down because CAR would probably want Knies, a 1st and a +.
Don't see Necas to the Leafs making much sense but the two teams have made trades and CAR has dealt with Tre in the past so I wouldn't rule it out.

Reactions: Tryamw

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
What a shortsighted take. Buffoon level.

Current management inherited the worst team in the league with lots of bad contracts and had to go through a proper rebuild for the first time in decades. Hope you're not making an argument that the Kent Hughes and co. staff are as incompetent as the Marc Bergevin management because they aren't competitive 2 years later.
I don't get the love for this rebuild at all and their have been far worse situations GMs have walked into.
Jim Benning inherited a team with one, literally one prospect in Horvat no good players under 27 and a roster loaded with old guys with full NMC's, a mandate to get younger and build up the prospect pool all while being a playoff team.

Hughes was able to LTIR his two biggest contracts and had players that had trade value in guys like Pageau, Lekhonen, Petty, etc.

He trade for an injury prone Dach, a useless Newhook etc.

His drafting has been disappointing imo,considering the draft position, the amount of spins people say about Slaf to justify him make me Dizzy. He drafted the most Vanilla dman in Reinbacher, in a forward heavy draft and didn't even take the best one since the coyotes and Vancouver picks have much higher ceilings, knowing this draft had a great defensive crop. passing on Matvei because of fear of the "Russian factor and his KHL contract was so short-sighted made even worse because the habs have not one dynamic offensive game breaker.

If I end up being wrong I'll eat crow but the fact that they still don't have the necessary tentpoles in a 1c ,1D and #1 goalie is a big problem.

Their current 1c is not even a ppg, Hutson ever being a legit #1 is very unlikely, Monty is a good goalie but big deal, he's not a great goalie and likely never will be.
Caufield is terrible defensively and 5on5 isnt great.

Hughes with his trades and picks, strikes me as a guy who thinks he's smarter than all the other GMs but trading for young guys that have underachieved on other teams,

I know I'm being a bit over the top in my assessments but I'm half French and while the habs arent my #1 team, I grew up one and seeing the team being assembled reminds me of the Wild before Kaprizov and Boldy. A terribly boring team that nobody enjoyed watching and were the definition of a middling team and after suffering through the MB era, I had really hoped that Hughes was going to be the guy to build a team capable of not only winning but also be exciting to watch.
Is their even another team that has gone as long as the habs without a 40 goal scorer or above a ppg?

Reactions: Theodore450

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
We’ve already shown we’d match so it would have to be a legit big offer. I love me some Necas but I don’t think a team would do that. If you did go big I doubt we’d match.
Or at least use a modicum of intellect in using the offer sheet. They gave him an offer sheet on July 1, the day free agency opened. That's when teams have the most payroll flexibility to work around it, while at the same time occupying cap space of the offering team when they may need it most if they are in the market for other assets. If they were going to do this, do it in late July or early August when teams have set their rosters. Yeah, you might not get your offer sheet accepted, but at the end of the day, that's what will likely occur while handicapping your team in the process. Idiots.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I know offer sheets are quite rare, but it does seem conceivable to me for the Habs to make a 123 offer sheet for Necas.

With a healthy Dach and Necas on board, and progression of their young D, the Habs probably end up in the 10-15 draft position range for 2025. Given all the other draft picks the Habs have this year and next, I think I'd be find giving up that value for Necas.

I'm not sure what assets Carolina would be looking for to make a "hockey trade" with Montreal. A third team would probably need to be involved.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I know offer sheets are quite rare, but it does seem conceivable to me for the Habs to make a 123 offer sheet for Necas.

With a healthy Dach and Necas on board, and progression of their young D, the Habs probably end up in the 10-15 draft position range for 2025. Given all the other draft picks the Habs have this year and next, I think I'd be find giving up that value for Necas.

I'm not sure what assets Carolina would be looking for to make a "hockey trade" with Montreal. A third team would probably need to be involved.
I would be surprised if MTL isn't a bottom 10 team next year.

Out of the east maybe they are better than Ottawa next year but that still puts them bottom 3 in the conference.

If they leapfrog UTA, SEA, CAL next year that still puts them at 9OA. Could they do better? Sure, but MTL is just not overall a very talented team at this point and I don't think next year changes that a ton even getting a player like Necas.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Is Ottawa allowed to offer sheet with the pick they have to forfeit?
The forfeited pick can be either 2025 or 2026 (Ottawa’s choice). So yes they can. If they go to the 2 1sts or 4 1sts levels they get an extra year (2 picks in 3 years or 4 picks in 5), so they could still do those too.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I would be surprised if MTL isn't a bottom 10 team next year.

Out of the east maybe they are better than Ottawa next year but that still puts them bottom 3 in the conference.

If they leapfrog UTA, SEA, CAL next year that still puts them at 9OA. Could they do better? Sure, but MTL is just not overall a very talented team at this point and I don't think next year changes that a ton even getting a player like Necas.

I would guess the Habs to be in the 8 - 11 range for their pick next year. Slafkovsky looks to be progressing, Dach will be back, our young D should improve. (3-4 more wins would facilitate this).

If Necas is added I would expect to be more in the 10-13 range. (This would be about 5-6 more wins)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would guess the Habs to be in the 8 - 11 range for their pick next year. Slafkovsky looks to be progressing, Dach will be back, our young D should improve. (3-4 more wins would facilitate this).

If Necas is added I would expect to be more in the 10-13 range. (This would be about 5-6 more wins)
Absolutely possible. I could see them getting to 9OA.

SJ
CHI
ANA
CBJ
UTA
OTT
SEA
CAL

If you told me that next year they finish ahead of all these teams I would buy it. To leap frog anyone else in the league is going to require MTL playing above their expectations and a combination of other teams having worse years than expected. Totally possible but to me I would peg them for 7-9OA.

NJ will be better for sure. BUF probably better. Maybe Minnesota drops? I just think that tier of bubble teams are clearly better than MTL so I wouldn't expect it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad