Olympics: Team USA 2022

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Now this is ignorant.

Why is that ignorant? Canada and Germany are going to be really hard to beat with a mainly NCAA roster. They will have some top euro league players, at least I expect Canada to pick their players mainly from the Europe and not go the "send the kids" route like US.

Germany was in the final too and their team will be largely the same. Who else than China is USA beating in, to get out of first round? You have to be top 2 in your first round group to advance. Canada, Germany, USA, China.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
You have to be top 2 in your first round group to advance. Canada, Germany, USA, China.
This is not exactly true. Everybody advances. The three group winners and the best runner-up get an auto bye to the quarterfinal. The remaining eight play an extra elimination game to determine the other four QF participants.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Germany is essentially the favorite against the US, as is Canada. There's nothing "totally dumb" about the statement. Of course, no one knows who would the US face in the qualification playoffs.
Predictable…Urbanskog doesn’t like the US team. Usually you wait till the World Championships. I’m in shock you don’t think USA will do well in an international tournament.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Why is that ignorant? Canada and Germany are going to be really hard to beat with a mainly NCAA roster. They will have some top euro league players, at least I expect Canada to pick their players mainly from the Europe and not go the "send the kids" route like US.

Germany was in the final too and their team will be largely the same. Who else than China is USA beating in, to get out of first round? You have to be top 2 in your first round group to advance. Canada, Germany, USA, China.
The obsession with NCAA players is comical. The so-called kids will do just fine.

Think ill go over to other countries n bash there rosters. Nah got better things to do than TROLL.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The obsession with NCAA players is comical. The so-called kids will do just fine.

Think ill go over to other countries n bash there rosters. Nah got better things to do than TROLL.

I am not trying to troll anyone. I admire your blind optimism and faith in the roster. I try to analyze honestly without hopes and wishes, from that perspective I don't see wins against anyone else but China. I hope you're right, everyone loves an underdog story. I don't want to rain on your parade, I just want to keep a realistic view in my own posts. I also agree that they will "do just fine", as long as "just fine" is win against China and get the young players some experience of international games on mens level.

There is no obsession with NCAA players. I'm trying to explain to you that your local NCAA star might not be very comparable to NHL veterans and world champions or olympic finalists. You could be underestimating the level of rosters some are bringing, and the familiarity and experience of winning together some of them have. We're talking Stanley cup winners etc against non professional youth players.

Last edited:

swissdude

May 18, 2019
It's not about not acknowledging the strength of NCAA players. I just think that the level of the top European leagues is somewhat underestimated in North America. There are hundreds of posts where people think that a U20 team would be competitive at a WHC or Olympics. And yes there are some players (e.g. Power etc) where this is true but to believe that a junior team will win against seasoned professionals who have won medals at WHC is illusory. So the scepticism about Team USA's chances of success is not due to ignorance of the strength of the junior leagues but to recognition that there is decent hockey being played outside North America.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I am not trying to troll anyone. I admire your blind optimism and faith in the roster. I try to analyze honestly without hopes and wishes, from that perspective I don't see wins against anyone else but China. I hope you're right, everyone loves an underdog story. I don't want to rain on your parade, I just want to keep a realistic view in my own posts. I also agree that they will "do just fine", as long as "just fine" is win against China and get the young players some experience of international games on mens level.

There is no obsession with NCAA players. I'm trying to explain to you that your local NCAA star might not be very comparable to NHL veterans and world champions or olympic finalists. You could be underestimating the level of rosters some are bringing, and the familiarity and experience of winning together some of them have. We're talking Stanley cup winners etc against non professional youth players.
LoL false I’ve watched quite a bit of the rosters players.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
It's not about not acknowledging the strength of NCAA players. I just think that the level of the top European leagues is somewhat underestimated in North America. There are hundreds of posts where people think that a U20 team would be competitive at a WHC or Olympics. And yes there are some players (e.g. Power etc) where this is true but to believe that a junior team will win against seasoned professionals who have won medals at WHC is illusory. So the scepticism about Team USA's chances of success is not due to ignorance of the strength of the junior leagues but to recognition that there is decent hockey being played outside North America.
False…North American fans do believe excellent hockey is being played overseas. I can speak for myself I believe it. The insecurity about European hockey being relevant or good is just mind boggling.

Reactions: adsfan

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
My 2 cents again.lol.

9 teams can realistically medal. Expect upsets... Expect close games.

Some of you are talking like the US team will be losing games 7-0. Expect their games (and almost all the games) to be much closer. It's the beauty of this tournament... It is quite balanced.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Why is everyone so mad about all the college kids? Did the Russians not send there u20 team to that mens tournament last year and win it? I wish Canada would have sent a younger team like the states I think they will be fun to watch.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Wasn't that just a single EHT event? Not comparable to an Olympic tournament
Yes it was. But would the rosters not be similar since no NHLers are going? Either way I’m looking more forward to watching you guys play than our Canadians if we are just sending a euro league roster

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lines?

Agostino - Miele - O Neill
Farell - Shore - Beniers
Meyers - Smith - Abruzzese
Hentges - Mclaughlin - Cates
Brisson, Knies

Cooper - Kampfer
Ness - Warsofsky
Sanderson - Perbix
Faber - Helleson

I assume Mann is nr 1 goalie.

Not many RW on this team.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Eliteprospects has USAs average age at 24.64. The defending champions and considered favourites to win gold again, Russias only 25.94. I think this team is going to surpise a lot of you I won’t be surprised if you guys beat us (Canada) all these kids are used to playing on the small ice which is what they are playing on in China.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
More excited for this team than the Canadian one and might watch their games instead... maybe because I was so used to the star power of the typical Canadian team, even at the WHCs that following a different team with some familiar names and upcoming top talents just seems a lot more exciting. Hope this team medals!

Reactions: peconcan

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Anyone here have a handle on the goalies and if you think they are capable of getting the job done? A lot of games will depend on that in the end anyway, not so much whether the team is young or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad