Olympics: Team USA 2022

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I think the U.S. has a puncher's chance if the kids come together. There is a lot of talent on this team even though it's young.

This is team displays an excellent mixiture of future star NHL prospects and above average KHL/SHL players. I have a healthy respect for European based hockey leagues but I think there is a general lack of respect for the quality of play in the NCAA from many posters here. I think it's safe to say that most of the college players listed on this team will be playing and doing well in the NHL within the next 12 months. This team has as good a shot as any for a medal...even a gold one.

Reactions: PWiz30 and MNRube

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think it's safe to say that most of the college players listed on this team will be playing and doing well in the NHL within the next 12 months.
That's just delusional if you really mean it. I think you lack general respect for what it takes to play in the NHL.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
That's just delusional if you really mean it. I think you lack general respect for what it takes to play in the NHL.

Beniers, Sanderson, Brisson, Faber, and Helleson all stand an excellent chance of making their NHL debuts within the next year. Farrell and Knies are not that far off. Nothing delusional about it.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Beniers, Sanderson, Brisson, Faber, and Helleson all stand an excellent chance of making their NHL debuts within the next year. Farrell and Knies are not that far off. Nothing delusional about it.
I wouldn't call 5/15 "most of them"

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm picturing you as your avatar when saying this. So many angry people on HF these days.
I don't think there is anything angry about what I'm saying. It's hard to break into the NHL. It's even harder to make it straight from NCAA. If out of the group of 15 guys one expects most to make that jump in a single year that's not going to happen. That's neither realistic in the general sense, nor going case-by-case. It doesn't even seem completely certain to me most of those guys will even play pro hockey next year and most of the guys who graduated will start in the AHL.
You are just confirming what I said. I'd say there is ~20% chance Farrell and Knies are both even signed to the NHL deal next year, not to mention them actually playing in the NHL. Brisson and Faber fall into a similar category, 50/50 chance to sign an ELC. Colorado is extremely unlikely to play Helleson as well as they most likely want at least some veteran presence on that D. You truly seem to lack appreciation for how few players jump from the NCAA to the NHL.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Lasch and others good americans in SHL, NLA; KHL is top players in their leagues. Being a top player in NCAA is not as impressing as being a top player in SHL, NLA; KHL. Most of the NCAA guys on this team will be lucky to ever have a career as Lasch had. Lasch and others you know what u will get, they are not prospects. Picking so many young NCAA players is a shot in the dark.

Its unfortunate that the NHL has their draft at 18.
Would be awesome to see what Team USA and Team Canada would look like if draft was at basically your senior year in college like the NFL. Some of the players you would be watching.

G Knight

D - York - Jones

F - Farabee Hughes Boldy
Wahlstrom Zegras Kaliyev
Turcotte

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Correct and they end up having good careers over in Europe. Never to return to North America.

Those NCAA beat a great CCCP team by playing better hockey.

They also smoked a good Czech ( except goalie)
team.

The guys that never played in the NHL were
Suter, Eruzione, Schneider, Wells, Strobel, Verchota
and Harrington. 6 F and 1 D man. If today's NHL
environment were replicated in the early 80's Strobel, Harrington and Verchota absolutely play in the NHL and with the exception of Suter the others
get cups of coffee.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Speaks volumes about how informed you are about the realities.
You have zero basic concepts or knowledge about anything when it comes to US hockey. Except to stop by n bash USA hockey threads around WC and Olympic time. Its all about your insecurities in regards to European hockey leagues. No one cares what you think about NCAA hockey.

Reactions: TheBigFour

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
You have zero basic concepts or knowledge about anything when it comes to US hockey. Except to stop by n bash USA hockey threads around WC and Olympic time. Its all about your insecurities in regards to European hockey leagues. No one cares what you think about NCAA hockey.
I'm very curious how have I "bashed" USA Hockey unless stating that this US team winning one game in the group stage is a realistic prediction counts as such.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Some people still harken NCAA hockey being what it was in the 80s, but that's simply not true now a days. It's arguably the best development league in hockey, the amount of star NHL players coming out of the NCAA is ludicrous compared to what it was in 1980.

I think this US team will do fine, and also has the potential to win gold.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Update on Sanderson:

UND defenseman Jake Sanderson has cleared COVID-19 protocol and is set to depart Los Angeles for Beijing and the 2022 Winter Olympics on Wednesday.

Sanderson produced negative tests on four consecutive days and will now be able to join his American teammates, who arrived in China last week.

The UND blue liner is not expected to play in Team USA's opener at 7:10 a.m. Thursday against China.

Also, Justin Abdelkader was officially registered with the IIHF so he's available to play.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Some people still harken NCAA hockey being what it was in the 80s, but that's simply not true now a days. It's arguably the best development league in hockey, the amount of star NHL players coming out of the NCAA is ludicrous compared to what it was in 1980.

I think this US team will do fine, and also has the potential to win gold.

I wouldn't go that far saying ludicrous. The late
70's and 80's produced some great NHL players.

IMO the 1980's US Olympic Team produced
fabulous players like Richter, Chelios, Leetch, Ramsay, Stevens, Janney and lost out on 2 HOF players in Langway and Mullen.

Will be tough for the current group of US NCAA D men born say
98-01 to have better careers than the group of players who could have had NCAA eligibility and been on the 1980 team.

Langway-Ramsay-Morrow-Baker-O'Callahan-Suter

Canada produced Ed Belfour, Glenn Anderson, Adam Oates and Joe Nieuwendyk in the 1980's.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad