Olympics: Team USA 2022

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In what way? Filling the roster with middling pro league players isn't the answer. Going young, fast, and hungry is.
To me, it would make the most sense to go with the best players. But even if the policy is to go with the young and hungry, which is fair enough (although to me it seems like an easy excuse after these guys don't achieve anything), the selection of truly middling pro league players seems even more baffling.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
To me, it would make the most sense to go with the best players. But even if the policy is to go with the young and hungry, which is fair enough (although to me it seems like an easy excuse after these guys don't achieve anything), the selection of truly middling pro league players seems even more baffling.

Who are the best players that were bypassed?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
LoL last time 5'8" Lasch scored 20 goals in a pro hockey league was 2014. Scored a total of 6 goals in the AHL. Yah he'll help.
What an excellent argument when we are talking about the player who has 39 points in 32 SHL games at the end of the day. Excellent analysis, apt insight. You are probably qualified to work for the USA hockey, evidently.

I mean dumping on one of the best European hockey players of the past decade because you have nothing better to say is just sad.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lasch leads entire Champions League in points. 18 points in 12 games.

Lasch is small and dont fit on small rinks, but on big ice he is a very good player.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Considering how he did in Finland I'm not sure about the small rink thing either. Also from the "old guys" they took Agostino is the only one who is at least 6 feet tall so size obviously wasn't a priority anyway.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Schroeder, Lasch, Arcobello, Gunderson, maybe even T.J. Brennan. Not like it's a long list and USA is spoiled with choice but the names selected, especially on defense, as I said just don't make sense to me.

I think I was the first person to bring up Lasch. I think he should be on the team and there's a good case for Schroeder as well. Arcobello and Gunderson are doing well, too, but not in a top tier league.

I have a hard time reconciling this list though with your prior posts that the roster makes zero sense or that they went with middling pro players over..other middling pro players. I would have picked it slightly differently as well but I don't think you've done a great job validating the initial claims.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I think I was the first person to bring up Lasch. I think he should be on the team and there's a good case for Schroeder as well. Arcobello and Gunderson are doing well, too, but not in a top tier league.

I have a hard time reconciling this list though with your prior posts that the roster makes zero sense or that they went with middling pro players over..other middling pro players. I would have picked it slightly differently as well but I don't think you've done a great job validating the initial claims.

NLA is a top tier european league.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
What an excellent argument when we are talking about the player who has 39 points in 32 SHL games at the end of the day. Excellent analysis, apt insight. You are probably qualified to work for the USA hockey, evidently.

I mean dumping on one of the best European hockey players of the past decade because you have nothing better to say is just sad.

LoL a 34 year old with 7 goals and your being defensive. Undrafted and couldn't cut it even in the ECHL. What are you his agent ? Comical response about a player who is never coming back to succeed in the North America.

USA hockey, without NHL players being involved now, need developing players. I could say the same about Agostino being a dumb move as well. You gonna flip out about Kenny as well ?

Also my comments arent about diminishing European leagues either. What a childish response. Don't like my comments put me on ignore.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Lasch leads entire Champions League in points. 18 points in 12 games.

Lasch is small and dont fit on small rinks, but on big ice he is a very good player.
That's great he is accomplishing...finally something in his hockey career. Sorry I just disagree that Lasch should be on team USA. A 34 year old playing over in Europe probably isn't gonna be high on Team USA list.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think I explained myself well enough: they went with both dubious NCAA strategy AND made odd choices in the "veteran" slots. Therefore zero sense. I chose, however, not to discuss the first part because it's obviously a policy decision, whatever. They decided on the "young and hungry", so be it. The 2nd part, however, seems much more cut and dry. Player A is better than player B and that's all there is to it.

If a guy who succeeded in every major European league like Gunderson falls under the same umbrella of "middling pro player" as someone like Warsofsky who is like 3rd D on a mid-table DEL team, what can I tell you. I guess middling means different things to us.

That's great he is accomplishing...finally something in his hockey career. Sorry I just disagree that Lasch should be on team USA. A 34 year old playing over in Europe probably isn't gonna be high on Team USA list.
Did you even see the list before entering this thread? Or does O'Neill and Miele get a pass from you because they are 33 and not 34?

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Schroeder, Lasch, Arcobello, Gunderson, maybe even T.J. Brennan. Not like it's a long list and USA is spoiled with choice but the names selected, especially on defense, as I said just don't make sense to me.
well they think that NCAA players are better suited than Lash, Arcobello etc. to beat an euro pro team, as you certainly know anything outside NHL, AHL, KHL is beer league anyway and nobody will care if they fail because then it's a worthless tournament since it's not best on best which they would have won easily

Reactions: SoundAndFury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad