Olympics: Team USA 2022

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I'm feeling better about Eichel playing. I do think some players will opt out.
I have a feeling it's going to be a domino effect. A couple guys will, and then the rest will follow- at least all the top guys.

The risk of being stuck in China for two months while your team tries to make the playoffs without you is going to be too much.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Is it just me, or is this team not as sexy as our 2010 team?

For all the talk of how the game has grown in USA, and it definitely has, I don't think this team is going to be as good as our Silver 2010 club.

I think there are more USA players (percentage) than ever before in the NHL, and more ##1 overalls (Kane, Matthews, Hughes) than ever, but I still think that 2010 was better than what we can assenble currently.

Maybe I am wrong about that. I loved our 2010 team.

Granted Quick and Miller in their prime was great, but..
I honestly think this usa team wins 7 ot 8 out of 10 games against the 2010 team. Absolutely miles more talented.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
apparently Campbell was not on the long list of players submitted by USA hockey, so it makes him ineligible for the olympics according to serevalli.

This is strange cause I swear Sullivan said that they definitely had eye on him and he was in consideration for one the spots.
oh well, he been lights out this year

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Boeser is starting to warm up but I guess it is too little too late. It would be the best for all parties that NHL would just make their decision before Christmas. The whole 50 players list is a total nonsense when all best players can't even be picked to be there. My guess is that NHL is not going but I hope that USA Hockey will skip the whole event then.

Reactions: lawrence

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Yeah, the 2022 team would dominate the 2010 team. And I say that as someone who really liked the 2010 team.

"dominate"? What a strong word.

The 2010 USA team had a whole mess of Hall of Famers. Not to mention arguablythe three greatest USA goalies ever produced. Ryan Miller had one of the greatest performances I have ever seen a goalie produce against Canada in the prelims that year. The 2010 goalies alone would win 3 or 4 out of 10 against a 2022 USA team.

No idea to know how these teams would play against each other but just like everything else, society really does have short term memory and lives in the moment when it comes to things.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
No such risk of what? Testing positive and having to quarantine in China for weeks?

Has one NHL players (or any pro player from any pro hockey league anywhere - NHL, KHL, AHL, Euro pro leagues, etc) died from Covid? Genuinely curious - would like to know.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
"dominate"? What a strong word.

The 2010 USA team had a whole mess of Hall of Famers. Not to mention arguablythe three greatest USA goalies ever produced. Ryan Miller had one of the greatest performances I have ever seen a goalie produce against Canada in the prelims that year. The 2010 goalies alone would win 3 or 4 out of 10 against a 2022 USA team.

No idea to know how these teams would play against each other but just like everything else, society really does have short term memory and lives in the moment when it comes to things.

The 2010 team did not have a "whole mess of Hall of Famers." They had one guaranteed HOFer (Kane) and he'll be on the 2022 team. The 2022 will produce far more HOFers.

The 2022 team has excellent goalies, too. You're acting like Miller would be squaring off against Robert Esche.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
The 2010 team did not have a "whole mess of Hall of Famers." They had one guaranteed HOFer (Kane) and he'll be on the 2022 team. The 2022 will produce far more HOFers.

The 2022 team has excellent goalies, too. You're acting like Miller would be squaring off against Robert Esche.

"Dominate" is too strong a word. Like I said, people are WAY too in-the-moment when it comes to matters of sports and who is the "greatest".

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
"Dominate" is too strong a word. Like I said, people are WAY too in-the-moment when it comes to matters of sports and who is the "greatest".

I think they'd dominate them. Whether that'd be how it plays out is an unknown. But I don't see how people claiming the 2022 team would beat the 2010 team is any different than you claiming Miller would steal 3-4 games by himself.

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I think they'd dominate them. Whether that'd be how it plays out is an unknown. But I don't see how people claiming the 2022 team would beat the 2010 team is any different than you claiming Miller would steal 3-4 games by himself.

I wasn't saying just Miller.

Miller, Thomas and Quick just about in their prime in a hypothetical 10 game series.

Anyways, it's just our opinions either way.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think it would be incredibly foolish to of TEAM USA if Quinn Hughes isnt on the team.

Quinn has developed into a top line D man this season and is even playing in situations like the PK.

He leads ALL dmen in primary assists and has 26 pts in 30 games and is a +9 logging 25 minutes a night.

As i said before, 3rd period VS Canada, team USA down 3-1.....Theres no one in the world USA would want to play on Defence more than Hughes in that situation. Game Breaker. He would be an absolute breakout machine and almost impossible to forecheck on Olympic size ice.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Has one NHL players (or any pro player from any pro hockey league anywhere - NHL, KHL, AHL, Euro pro leagues, etc) died from Covid? Genuinely curious - would like to know.
Not that I know of. That's kind of irrelevant to my point, though.

Imagine what would happen to the Oilers' playoff chances if McDavid was stuck in China for 5-7 weeks after a positive test instead of just 2. That's the risk these guys are feeling when it comes to going to the olympics, not that they're afraid of getting COVID.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Not that I know of. That's kind of irrelevant to my point, though.

Imagine what would happen to the Oilers' playoff chances if McDavid was stuck in China for 5-7 weeks after a positive test instead of just 2. That's the risk these guys are feeling when it comes to going to the olympics, not that they're afraid of getting COVID.

They're not going. That is what my gut is telling me...

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Robertson has been the straw that stirs the drink in Dallas this year and he’s part of an elite two-way line, while Connor, good as he is, has always given up almost as much as he produces.

Time to revisit my own thought after the season so far.

After looking at the updated stats for this season, I think it's fair to start wondering how much of Connor's perceived bad defensive play was simply a result of being stapled to Scheifele for almost all of his career.

This is a pretty astounding difference in defensive results when playing with and playing without Scheifele.

WPG 2122 Scheifele With-or-Without You

A 42 vs. 57% xGF. :eek:

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think it would be incredibly foolish to of TEAM USA if Quinn Hughes isnt on the team.

Quinn has developed into a top line D man this season and is even playing in situations like the PK.

He leads ALL dmen in primary assists and has 26 pts in 30 games and is a +9 logging 25 minutes a night.

As i said before, 3rd period VS Canada, team USA down 3-1.....Theres no one in the world USA would want to play on Defence more than Hughes in that situation. Game Breaker. He would be an absolute breakout machine and almost impossible to forecheck on Olympic size ice.

Quinn is certainly a top contender for the team. One note is the plan is to play on NHL ice unless I missed a development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad