Olympics: Team USA 2022

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
is there a reason Johnny Gaudreau not on the team other than you are a Nucks fan? He’ll be there before Boeser and Miller.
A lot of American posters have not included him. If I had a team, J.G. would be on it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
While the U.S. is relatively thin at center there are a lot of quality wings to choose from. A guy like Gaudreau has a very good chance of making it but isn't a lock. I wonder if he's competing with a guy like Garland? Not quite as skilled, but close and has a non-stop motor and is gritty?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
While the U.S. is relatively thin at center there are a lot of quality wings to choose from. A guy like Gaudreau has a very good chance of making it but isn't a lock. I wonder if he's competing with a guy like Garland? Not quite as skilled, but close and has a non-stop motor and is gritty?

Gaudreau had consecutive less than impressive WC
with pretty stacked US Teams up front. I believe Eichel, Larkin, Kane, Kreider & Lee were on maybe both Teams.

Now on one, he played I believe while his Dad was very ill so you can give him some points towards a spot but
if he makes it a guy like Garland absolutely wont.
You would have potentially Hughes, JG, Kane, DeBrincat, Guentzel and Garland as small or light high skill guys and thats at least one to many for me.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Gaudreau's issue is he's too easy to fluster. It's one of the reasons he's been average at the WCs and playoffs. The stakes are elevated and the hacking and slashing increases and he mentally doesn't handle it well. He's likely to be on the team but I worry about his usefulness unless he's been working on addressing his mental approach to that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Gaudreau had consecutive less than impressive WC
with pretty stacked US Teams up front. I believe Eichel, Larkin, Kane, Kreider & Lee were on maybe both Teams.

Now on one, he played I believe while his Dad was very ill so you can give him some points towards a spot but
if he makes it a guy like Garland absolutely wont.
You would have potentially Hughes, JG, Kane, DeBrincat, Guentzel and Garland as small or light high skill guys and thats at least one to many for me.

Agreed. I actually think Garland has a great chance to make the team. He's small but never backs down. He also showed very well for the U.S. at this past WCs.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
USA has really bright future. I can easily see them winning Olympics in 2026 or 2030 if not next year.

That D line & Goalie position is stacked with prospects. Canada on other hand look shaky in Goalie position.

On paper it looks like it's going to come down to the superior Canadian offence against the superior American Defence/Goaltending. Canada can roll 4 lines of star talent which will be a tough challenge for the Americans to stop.

Reactions: User9992

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I know there’s been a massive shift in how people view Seth Jones the last couple years. From looking like a future Norris candidate to what it’s at now. But I just never watched many blue jackets games and thought the change in opinion of his play must have been exaggerated. But watching this Chicago Detroit game tonight man. He is a huge liability for any amount of money, much less 10m a year.

I thought even if he has dropped off in form he’s still probably good enough to make the team, but man USA hockey and Bowman are gonna force him into this team with their arrogance and playing favorites. There are absolutely 7 better American D-men and they are going to be left offf.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
At this point I believe there are 20 American defenders out there better than Jones. And that’s not an overreaction to this season - I would have said the same last year.
Defenseman is the one position on the team that the US is right up there with the best in the world right now. If Jones plays much because of his GM's professional agenda it'll be an embarrassment.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This would be my team right now. I’m operating under the idea of no Eichel, but I hope he’s capable of playing.

deBrincat-Matthews-Kane
Connor-Larkin-M.Tkachuk
Farabee-Miller-Garland
Guentzel-Pavelski-B. Tkachuk
Norris

Gaudreau/Hughes/Eichel/Pacioretty

Farabee, Miller, and Garland are three of the biggest winners early this season for me. I think they all make it right now. I also like that they all play very hard and with a lot of energy. We can’t afford to not outwork teams like Canada when we have a talent deficit. We have enough offensive floaters already on the team. I’m not penalizing deBrincat for the team he plays for. I think if we put him with Kane and Matthews, he’ll score goals. I’d add Norris as the 13th forward for now. I like his versatility in what he could bring. He could play many different roles.

Gaudreau is on the radar due to that he’s very good, but I don’t see the spot for a player of his type. If he’s one of the best hockey players in the world this season, maybe I reconsider in January. Hughes injury has him off the team for now because I still think he needs to prove himself, but when he gets healthy, he’ll have his chance. Pacioretty is similarly off the team due to an injury for now. He’s more proven than Hughes, but it’s a tough team to make. You have to be playing, unless you are a star of the team.

Slavin-Fox
Werenski-McAvoy
McDonagh-Carlson
Jones

Pesce/Petry

I guess you could go with Pesce instead of McDonagh. I think McDonagh is more proven at this level and the NHL level. You need some veteran leaders. Jones has to be hidden. 7th defenseman. I was thinking months back that I’d prefer to hide Carlson, and not give him a regular shift, but Jones is a much bigger liability right now. McDonagh or Pesce could babysit Carlson well enough. I’ll also list Petry if one of the other RHD spots somehow opens up.

Gibson
Hellebuyck
Knight

Demko/Campbell/Peterson

I’ve always preferred Gibson to Hellebuyck, so as long as Gibson’s playing well, he’s the starter. I want Knight to be the third goalie. I think the experience will be good for him and it could help him in four years when he’ll likely be the starter. He’s also good enough now to play, if the third goalie was needed. Demko is probably next. Good young goalie, but we have a lot of depth. I think Campbell and Peterson could also do a good job, but I would put them as a distant 5th and 6th right now.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This would be my team right now. I’m operating under the idea of no Eichel, but I hope he’s capable of playing.

deBrincat-Matthews-Kane
Connor-Larkin-M.Tkachuk
Farabee-Miller-Garland
Norris

Farabee, Miller, and Garland are three of the biggest winners early this season for me. I think they all make it right now. I also like that they all play very hard and with a lot of energy. We can’t afford to not outwork teams like Canada when we have a talent deficit. We have enough offensive floaters already on the team. I’m not penalizing deBrincat for the team he plays for. I think if we put him with Kane and Matthews, he’ll score goals. I’d add Norris as the 13th forward for now. I like his versatility in what he could bring. He could play many different roles.

Gaudreau is on the radar due to that he’s very good, but I don’t see the spot for a player of his type. If he’s one of the best hockey players in the world this season, maybe I reconsider in January. Hughes injury has him off the team for now because I still think he needs to prove himself, but when he gets healthy, he’ll have his chance. Pacioretty is similarly off the team due to an injury for now. He’s more proven than Hughes, but it’s a tough team to make. You have to be playing, unless you are a star of the team.

Slavin-Fox
Werenski-McAvoy
McDonagh-Carlson
Jones

Pesce/Petry

I guess you could go with Pesce instead of McDonagh. I think McDonagh is more proven at this level and the NHL level. You need some veteran leaders. Jones has to be hidden. 7th defenseman. I was thinking months back that I’d prefer to hide Carlson, and not give him a regular shift, but Jones is a much bigger liability right now. McDonagh or Pesce could babysit Carlson well enough. I’ll also list Petry if one of the other RHD spots somehow opens up.

Gibson
Hellebuyck
Knight

Demko/Campbell/Peterson

I’ve always preferred Gibson to Hellebuyck, so as long as Gibson’s playing well, he’s the starter. I want Knight to be the third goalie. I think the experience will be good for him and it could help him in four years when he’ll likely be the starter. He’s also good enough now to play, if the third goalie was needed. Demko is probably next. Good young goalie, but we have a lot of depth. I think Campbell and Peterson could also do a good job, but I would put them as a distant 5th and 6th right now.
I'm not sold on M.Tkachuk but still a very good lineup.

As for Eichel not playing... It is really getting tight. Most Sabres fans never thought we'd get to November without surgery. Plus, would USA Hockey want someone that rusty?

Odds of Eichel being available : 20%.
Odds of Eichel playing in China : 10%.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

deBrincat-Matthews-Kane
Connor-Larkin-M.Tkachuk
Farabee-Miller-Garland
Norris

Slavin-Fox
Werenski-McAvoy
McDonagh-Carlson
Jones

Pesce/Petry

Gibson
Hellebuyck
Knight

Demko/Campbell/Peterson

I like your team and wouldn't have a problem if that's who we put out there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau is 2nd in the league in ES points since being freed from Sean Monahan:

NHL Stats

It would be monumentally stupid to leave him off this team.

I’m not either, but if I’m taking a player I’m not sold on, I’m taking a guy that’ll play hard, physical, and go to the net over offensive floaters. USA isn’t going to out-talent Canada.

I take it you haven't been watching Tkachuk in the last year and a half? He's been the epitome of a floater.

Including guys like M Tkachuk, Norris, and Farabee on your team over Gaudreau would be incredibly short sighted.

Gaudreau's issue is he's too easy to fluster. It's one of the reasons he's been average at the WCs and playoffs. The stakes are elevated and the hacking and slashing increases and he mentally doesn't handle it well. He's likely to be on the team but I worry about his usefulness unless he's been working on addressing his mental approach to that.
This is not at all why he has "struggled" in the playoffs. He has struggled because it's been too easy to double team him and ignore his linemates. Given any level of talent to play with and he'd put up numbers just like he has in the regular season.

I'll also point out that he's got 32 points in 32 career WC games.

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Gaudreau really did go after the international refs at his last WC appearance. It did throw him off his game. Having said that I do want him on the Olympic team. Too much offensive creativity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad