Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Cap writeup on the Rangers, inspired by the news that Shesterkin said no to 8 years x $11M. Good news is I can't see them maintaining as good of a roster in subsequent years. They don't have a great farm team.

Assuming they ink Shesterkin to a similar deal, here's how I see the roster shaping up for 2025-2026.

Panarin (11.64) - Trocheck (5.63) - Lafreniere (RFA)
Kreider (6.5) - Zibanejad (8.5) - Kakko (RFA)
Cuylle (RFA) - Chytil (4.44) - Brodzinski (0.79)
Edstrom (RFA) - Carrick (1) - Rempe (RFA)

Miller (RFA) - Fox (9.5)
Schneider (2.2) - Trouba (8)
Jones (RFA) - Othmann (0.86)

Shesterkin (UFA)
Quick (UFA)

They have $58.2M committed next year. Projected cap next year is $92.5M, which leaves a boatload of space ($34.3M). That's the good news.

The bad news is almost all of the free agents require raises. I could see this playing out.

Lafreniere: $6M
Kakko: $3M
Edstrom and Rempe - $0.9M each
Add $0.8M for 13F

Miller: $6M
Jones: $2M
7D: $0.8M

Shesterkin: $12M
Backup: $1M

That adds up to $33.4M. If they find a taker for Trouba, say Columbus, they have flexibility to really go shopping. Otherwise, I think status quo is about the best this roster can do to fit under the cap as they don't have as much ELC talent coming in and have to pay up some players on bridge deals.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Commenters on the Seattle-Blues game are saying that powerplays on fresh ice at the beginning of periods are actually statistically less effective than later in the period. My entire life I've believed a lie.
20230106_124705.jpg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I see the Blackhawks are already in midseason form

They're going to be total garbage for at least another season too, then it will be time to pay Bedard

He had done well as their minor league coach. Worked his way back onto the radar. Has been vocal about developing as a coach and learning from his mistakes, presumably the Buffalo experience.

Well best of luck to him, at he doesn't have Jack Eichel to deal with

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Verhaeghe, 8 years at $7M per & mostly in bonuses.

Just turned 29 in August.

Verhaeghe took a significant discount relative to UFA value. With value-added cap hits to Forsling/Reinhart/Tkachuk/Verhaeghe, Florida is going to stay excellent for many years to come.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Commenters on the Seattle-Blues game are saying that powerplays on fresh ice at the beginning of periods are actually statistically less effective than later in the period. My entire life I've believed a lie.
I wonder if that number gets skewed more so because the faceoff on the PP is at center ice at the start of the period. So there’s a statical disadvantage right there.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I wonder if that number gets skewed more so because the faceoff on the PP is at center ice at the start of the period. So there’s a statical disadvantage right there.
I'd guess it has more to do with the PKers being rested. I also wouldn't be sure that the predictability of fresh ice is an advantage for the attackers, odd bounces often create opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad