Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Cap writeup on the Rangers, inspired by the news that Shesterkin said no to 8 years x $11M. Good news is I can't see them maintaining as good of a roster in subsequent years. They don't have a great farm team.

Assuming they ink Shesterkin to a similar deal, here's how I see the roster shaping up for 2025-2026.

Panarin (11.64) - Trocheck (5.63) - Lafreniere (RFA)
Kreider (6.5) - Zibanejad (8.5) - Kakko (RFA)
Cuylle (RFA) - Chytil (4.44) - Brodzinski (0.79)
Edstrom (RFA) - Carrick (1) - Rempe (RFA)

Miller (RFA) - Fox (9.5)
Schneider (2.2) - Trouba (8)
Jones (RFA) - Othmann (0.86)

Shesterkin (UFA)
Quick (UFA)

They have $58.2M committed next year. Projected cap next year is $92.5M, which leaves a boatload of space ($34.3M). That's the good news.

The bad news is almost all of the free agents require raises. I could see this playing out.

Lafreniere: $6M
Kakko: $3M
Edstrom and Rempe - $0.9M each
Add $0.8M for 13F

Miller: $6M
Jones: $2M
7D: $0.8M

Shesterkin: $12M
Backup: $1M

That adds up to $33.4M. If they find a taker for Trouba, say Columbus, they have flexibility to really go shopping. Otherwise, I think status quo is about the best this roster can do to fit under the cap as they don't have as much ELC talent coming in and have to pay up some players on bridge deals.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Commenters on the Seattle-Blues game are saying that powerplays on fresh ice at the beginning of periods are actually statistically less effective than later in the period. My entire life I've believed a lie.
btw: nice to see ESPN broadcasting without the ticker at the bottom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad