Olympics: Team USA 2022

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The relative firepower of what Canada WJC 2021 had pales in comparison to what Canada OG will have, but I see your point. To go back to the the comment that you had replied to, I find the American top 6 to be a 9/10, second or third along with the Russians. The weak spot for me is two forwards which is why I would have Trochek or someone like Pavelski on my team

I could see some offensive firepower sacrificed for two way play. A guy like Brian Rust might make the team as a result.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
The Men's Olympic Hockey Tournament is the best in the world. Disclaimer- hockey fan first and Islander fan second. Any scenario that either Brock Nelson or Anders Lee get a look?

I am conflicted either way. There is always risk and I want to see Anders and Brock raise some silver in the spring. Lee- not the greatest skater with an international size rink and coming off of major knee surgery. He is a beast in front of the net and on the boards.

Nelson as someone who could slot in if Eichel can't go or an injury. He's a solid pivot.

Let's Roll!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Men's Olympic Hockey Tournament is the best in the world. Disclaimer- hockey fan first and Islander fan second. Any scenario that either Brock Nelson or Anders Lee get a look?

I am conflicted either way. There is always risk and I want to see Anders and Brock raise some silver in the spring. Lee- not the greatest skater with an international size rink and coming off of major knee surgery. He is a beast in front of the net and on the boards.

Nelson as someone who could slot in if Eichel can't go or an injury. He's a solid pivot.

Let's Roll!

Lee has done well in international competition before. I think if he's fully recovered from his injury he will be in contention for a spot. Not sure if you can have too many of guys like he and Pavelski though. I'm a big fan of Nelson and wouldn't mind seeing him on the team regardless (in a 3rd or 4th line role).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This is the lineup I’d go with. I think Jack Hughes will have a strong start to the year and get a spot, but could see Larkin there if not. I would take Brady Tkachuk for the 4th line. Boeser/Wheeler could be options in that spot, but with this tournament being played on NHL ice, I think Tkachuk brings a pretty unique skill-set.

Guentzel - Matthews - Kane
Debrincat - Eichel - Connor
Gaudreau - Hughes - Pacioretty
Robertson - Pavelski - B. Tkachuk

Slavin - Fox
Hughes - McAvoy
Carlson - Jones

Hellebuyck
Demko

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Let's Roll!
Rabid Ranger has made the case for Brock Nelson previously - during the playoff run.

I'm pretty sure it will be an NHL sized rink. Others can correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
On the Eichel front...

Supposedly - as per the Eichel thread in the Buffalo forum, Eichel's salary will only be covered by insurance if he gets Fusion surgery. That's the reason the Sabres won't entertain the idea of another kind of operation - they'd be on the hook for the entire $50M if things go wrong.

If a player with a $750,000 contract wanted the disc replacement surgery, the Sabres might say, "Go for it", but $50M is too big a cheque to cut.

No team, Sabres or otherwise, are likely to allow Eichel anything but Fusion. So, given Fusion's recovery time, the window for surgery prior to the Olympics is closing fast.

Edit : Kris Letang had similar surgery and was cleared to play after 5 months...

Penguins' Letang cleared to play after neck surgery | CBC Sports

Edit 2 : Olympics start on Feb 4th so we are about 4.75 months away.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t even consider Quinn Hughes. We have so many first pair two-way defenseman. We are also already taking Carlson for the PP.

Jack Hughes has a chance to make the team, but he must improve his face offs significantly. If he’s not above 45%, I wouldn’t consider him. He also must get better compared to the other center options because currently he’s not one of our four or five best at the position.

Reactions: John Snow

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Lee has done well in international competition before. I think if he's fully recovered from his injury he will be in contention for a spot. Not sure if you can have too many of guys like he and Pavelski though. I'm a big fan of Nelson and wouldn't mind seeing him on the team regardless (in a 3rd or 4th line role).
Thanks for the response

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If fully healthy this team is much deeper. That team had some all time greats but this team might also when it's all said and done. There simply has never been a U.S. roster with this much talent from top to bottom.
I disagree.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Debrincat-Matthews-Kane (C)
Gaudreau-Eichel-Guentzel
Connor-Larkin-Wheeler (A)
B Tkachuk-Miller-Boeser
Pavelski (A)

McAvoy-Fox
Werenski-Jones (reunited)
Slavin-Carlson (A)
Q Hughes

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

Taxi Squad
Trocheck, Pacioretty, McDonagh, Petry, Campbell

Wheeler, Pavelski, Carlson, Kane veteran leadership on this team.

On paper they are the biggest threat to Canada for Gold.
As a Nuck fan and Canadian, team USA will be testing my loyalty if all four of them make the team.
I think Quinn and Demko force themselves into prominent roles despite their age.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Good chance a handful of Canucks make this team. I'll be cheering for the red/white/blue this time around!
Yup and Sweden Second. Lots of internal bets between the Americans and Swedes on our nucks, hopefully Horvat gets in as well.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
This is the lineup I’d go with. I think Jack Hughes will have a strong start to the year and get a spot, but could see Larkin there if not. I would take Brady Tkachuk for the 4th line. Boeser/Wheeler could be options in that spot, but with this tournament being played on NHL ice, I think Tkachuk brings a pretty unique skill-set.

Guentzel - Matthews - Kane
Debrincat - Eichel - Connor
Gaudreau - Hughes - Pacioretty
Robertson - Pavelski - B. Tkachuk

Slavin - Fox
Hughes - McAvoy
Carlson - Jones

Hellebuyck
Demko
Boeser and JT from the nucks need to be there but like the list overall.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Boeser and JT from the nucks need to be there but like the list overall.

NO John Tavares !!!! Too old and slow !!!!

I know this is the U.S. thread but I'm so use to posting that every time I see "JT" in the Canadian thread, I couldn't help myself. ;)

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Debrincat-Matthews-Kane (C)
Gaudreau-Eichel-Tkachuk
Guentzel-JT Miller-Boeser
Connor-Larkin-Wheeler
X: Nelson

McDonagh (A)-Carlson (A)
Slavin-McAvoy
Petry-Fox
X: Hughes

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Another week and no word on Jack Eichel.

My gut tells me Eichel's scared to get fusion surgery on his neck - I'd be scared, too. If he doesn't get surgery, the Sabres may not clear him to play.

The longer this goes, the less likely Eichel plays in China and Jack is a key to the U.S winning Gold.

Certainly one of the more interesting off season stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORHawksFan

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I wouldn’t even consider Quinn Hughes. We have so many first pair two-way defenseman. We are also already taking Carlson for the PP.

Jack Hughes has a chance to make the team, but he must improve his face offs significantly. If he’s not above 45%, I wouldn’t consider him. He also must get better compared to the other center options because currently he’s not one of our four or five best at the position.

I like Quinn Hughes as a player and think he has a bright future, in particular as the team around him get better but I'm inclined to agree with you about a spot on this Olympic Team. There's just no need for the risk. There are several more established/capable d-men that can play a similar role.

As for Jack Hughes, I think if he takes another step forward this upcoming season he will be considered, especially if Eichel is out/doubtful. He's an excellent playmaker and drives the play. Put some wingers with size/strength on both sides and I think some of his weaknesses could be minimized. I think a Tkachuk brother or someone like J.T. Miller would look good for instance.

We're likely to feature a somewhat "smallish", finesse oriented lineup though so there might be some concern bringing a guy like Hughes though.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Quinn Hughes as a player and think he has a bright future, in particular as the team around him get better but I'm inclined to agree with you about a spot on this Olympic Team. There's just no need for the risk. There are several more established/capable d-men that can play a similar role.

As for Jack Hughes, I think if he takes another step forward this upcoming season he will be considered, especially if Eichel is out/doubtful. He's an excellent playmaker and drives the play. Put some wingers with size/strength on both sides and I think some of his weaknesses could be minimized. I think a Tkachuk brother or someone like J.T. Miller would look good for instance.

We're likely to feature a somewhat "smallish", finesse oriented lineup though so there might be some concern bringing a guy like Hughes though.

I think with all the young players they have to be at least as good as older less discussed options to deserve a spot. This tournament is once every four years. I want to win. Bringing youth because they are young is stupid. All these guys must show it helps us win games that they are on the team. That’s why I say Jack Hughes has to show he can win face offs. He may be way more talented than Nelson, Dvorak, Norris, or someone else in consideration, but if he’s only scoring at the same rate as them and he’s losing 60% of his face offs, that’s a big mark against him. There is no big advantage to the young players. They must show they are as good or better hockey players to make the team, in my opinion. Scoring a similar amount of points doesn’t mean we need to include them in the Olympic team over better hockey players. I’m not doubting Hughes may deserve a spot when the team is picked, but I think the improvements he needs to show go beyond offense.

I also think we should be focusing on adding size, speed, net front elements, PK’ers, players who win board battles. I don’t want traditional grinders, but I’d much rather have guys that can play a role and win in different ways than think we could put DeBrincat or Hughes on the fourth line and go best skill against best skill against Canada.

Last edited:

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
USA's D is stacked, but let me create a bit of controversy here... I believe Brian Dumoulin has an outside chance of making the team. Big strong stay at home dmen who has cup resume playing on the first pair, perfect to get paired with one of the offensive juggernauts the US have...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
USA's D is stacked, but let me create a bit of controversy here... I believe Brian Dumoulin has an outside chance of making the team. Big strong stay at home dmen who has cup resume playing on the first pair, perfect to get paired with one of the offensive juggernauts the US have...

I think he has a chance because 1) he plays for Sullivan which might also give the inside track to guys like Guentzel and Rust and 2) he is a very good defensive d-man. A lot of options for the U.S. on the blueline.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think with all the young players they have to be at least as good as older less discussed options to deserve a spot. This tournament is once every four years. I want to win. Bringing youth because they are young is stupid. All these guys must show it helps us win games that they are on the team. That’s why I say Jack Hughes has to show he can win face offs. He may be way more talented than Nelson, Dvorak, Norris, or someone else in consideration, but if he’s only scoring at the same rate as them and he’s losing 60% of his face offs, that’s a big mark against him. There is no big advantage to the young players. They must show they are as good or better hockey players to make the team, in my opinion. Scoring a similar amount of points doesn’t mean we need to include them in the Olympic team over better hockey players. I’m not doubting Hughes may deserve a spot when the team is picked, but I think the improvements he needs to show go beyond offense.

I also think we should be focusing on adding size, speed, net front elements, PK’ers, players who win board battles. I don’t want traditional grinders, but I’d much rather have guys that can play a role and win in different ways than think we could put DeBrincat or Hughes on the fourth line and go best skill against best skill against Canada.

I don't disagree but anyway you shake it we're not that big up front, at least on the wings. It's why I hope Eichel can play because then we'll at least have size up the middle with he, Matthews, Larkin (asking he returns to form), and maybe a guy like Nelson.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad