Olympics: Team USA 2022

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Why do people keep putting Matthew Tkachuk on this team? The guy lacks the foot speed to be effective in a best on best like this, and he was pretty awful this year in Calgary.
I would leave both brothers at home. Too much high scoring talent is available - but most of it is on the older side.

Posters who want the Tkachuk brothers, want a young team.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
* I can't see the Sabres trading Eichel unless they get a boatload in return.

* I can't see the Sabres getting a "boatload" unless Jack is healthy.

* I can't see Eichel being healthy without surgery.

* Eichel and the Sabres can't agree on the type of surgery.

Something has to give.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Losing Eichel would be a blow but I think the U.S. would still be a strong contender. We have an abundance of playmaking wingers so may you just bring some stronger centers defensively who can score some goals.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Losing Eichel would be a blow but I think the U.S. would still be a strong contender. We have an abundance of playmaking wingers do may you just bring some stronger centers defensively.
Of course. On paper, only Canada is better. Just saying Eichel could be a difference maker.

While I expect Russia to surprise ("Win one for Ovi / Gino!!!!") and Finland is ALWAYS strong, on paper it is a 2 team race.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Of course. On paper, only Canada is better. Just saying Eichel could be a difference maker.

While I expect Russia to surprise ("Win one for Ovi / Gino!!!!") and Finland is ALWAYS strong, on paper it is a 2 team race.

Yes, I think any of Canada, the U.S., Sweden, Russia, or Finland could win.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Shawn Simpson - Twitter
@TSNSimmer · Aug 31

Hearing Eichel could have surgery very soon, and December would be the earliest return. The asking price is extremely high at this point, between 4 and 6 pieces. With Brisson now repping this process will get moving.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Shawn Simpson
@TSNSimmer · Aug 31

Hearing Eichel could have surgery very soon, and December would be the earliest return. The asking price is extremely high at this point, between 4 and 6 pieces. With Brisson now repping this process will get moving.
Assuming it is fusion surgery, December seems optimistic.

The tweet is 1+ weeks old. Not sure what they are waiting for.

SportsFan94

Jan 11, 2017
Cambridge, Ontario.
Debrincat-Matthews-Kane (C)
Gaudreau-Eichel-Guentzel
Connor-Larkin-Wheeler (A)
B Tkachuk-Miller-Boeser
Pavelski (A)

McAvoy-Fox
Werenski-Jones (reunited)
Slavin-Carlson (A)
Q Hughes

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

Taxi Squad
Trocheck, Pacioretty, McDonagh, M Tkachuk, Campbell

Wheeler, Pavelski, Carlson, Kane veteran leadership on this team.

On paper they are the biggest threat to Canada for Gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: flying v 604 and um

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Impressive d men and goalies, it’ll be interesting how they fair against the waves of offence by Canada’s forwards

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I'll be shocked if Oshie doesn't make the team. His powerplay production and shooting percentage have been terrific the past few seasons.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Tkachuk Matthews Kane
Guentzel Eichel Boeser
Connor Larkin Pavelski
Miller Trochek Tkachuk
Robertson
DeBrincat

Slavin Fox
Hughes McAvoy
Petry Carlson
Werenski Jones

Hellebyuck
Gibson
Demko

Reactions: flying v 604

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Debrincat-Matthews-Kane (C)
Gaudreau-Eichel-Guentzel
Connor-Larkin-Wheeler (A)
B Tkachuk-Miller-Boeser
Pavelski (A)

On paper they are the biggest threat to Canada for Gold.
The first line is terrific. Kane can't be stopped - he will be on a mission. If I was another team, I would look to frustrate Matthews - as a Leaf fan, I've seen it done effectively.

The second line depends on Eichel - whether he is 100% or even available. If he's not 100% or you replace him with another center, it will make a big difference.

3rd and 4th lines are solid but Canada's 3rd and 4th are a step (or 2) above. Other teams 3rd and 4th lines look to be equally effective - given how much of a dud Wheeler has been in the past on Team USA.

The D and the goaltending are great.

As I have said before, Eichel is the key. A great Eichel and the U.S. wins Gold.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Impressive d men and goalies, it’ll be interesting how they fair against the waves of offence by Canada’s forwards
This. USA forwards are atrocious compared to Canada. Nobody on their bottom 6 would make Canada's B team and their top 6 is a joke compared to Canada's. I'm not seeing the threat you guys are seeing.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This. USA forwards are atrocious compared to Canada. Nobody on their bottom 6 would make Canada's B team and their top 6 is a joke compared to Canada's. I'm not seeing the threat you guys are seeing.
You are being too hard on the U.S. team. It's a fine lineup - I agree, it's not as good as Canada.

As I have said before, if Eichel doesn't play (at 100%), the team's chances drop considerably.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopCheese

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

How long have you been watching hockey? I have seen plenty of offensive power house teams come to a screeching halt to a really good defense and goalie. Their plan isn't to play offensive fire wagon hockey against Canada. We see this same flawed argument often including this year at the WJC and guess exactly what was used to shut them down and close out the game... The USA has plenty of offensive from the forward area, they don't need to rack up gaudy point totals, though you probably have the best current goal scorer in the world, one of the greatest offensive wingers in the history of the game and a bunch of really productive players most of which actually have good defensive tendencies. Which means they are asking them to play a style that fits the group. Anyway I guess we will see.

This is going to be the best American team of my lifetime though, I can tell you that. Losing Eichel would be massive though, that would hurt unless Jack Hughes explodes this year which very well could happen.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
How long have you been watching hockey? I have seen plenty of offensive power house teams come to a screeching halt to a really good defense and goalie. Their plan isn't to play offensive fire wagon hockey against Canada. We see this same flawed argument often including this year at the WJC and guess exactly what was used to shut them down and close out the game... The USA has plenty of offensive from the forward area, they don't need to rack up gaudy point totals, though you probably have the best current goal scorer in the world, one of the greatest offensive wingers in the history of the game and a bunch of really productive players most of which actually have good defensive tendencies. Which means they are asking them to play a style that fits the group. Anyway I guess we will see.

This is going to be the best American team of my lifetime though, I can tell you that. Losing Eichel would be massive though, that would hurt unless Jack Hughes explodes this year which very well could happen.
The relative firepower of what Canada WJC 2021 had pales in comparison to what Canada OG will have, but I see your point. To go back to the the comment that you had replied to, I find the American top 6 to be a 9/10, second or third along with the Russians. The weak spot for me is two forwards which is why I would have Trochek or someone like Pavelski on my team

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Good chance a handful of Canucks make this team. I'll be cheering for the red/white/blue this time around!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad