Olympics: Team USA 2022

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Even as USAH player depth has grown, our coaching depth hasn't at the same time. Sullivan was the likely choice, so not surprised at the choice. I'm more interested in the assistant coaches. There are some creative and interesting options to consider. Would they go with guys like Greg Carvel or Nate Leaman?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Even as USAH player depth has grown, our coaching depth hasn't at the same time. Sullivan was the likely choice, so not surprised at the choice. I'm more interested in the assistant coaches. There are some creative and interesting options to consider. Would they go with guys like Greg Carvel or Nate Leaman?

I wouldn’t mind Quinn as an assistant. He’s not a great NHL Head Coach, but some Rangers fans scapegoat him to a ridiculous degree. He’s also coached a number of players that’ll be on the team (Eichel, McAvoy, Fox). I think he’d make a good assistant. The other obvious point is that with Sullivan picking the staff, Quinn seems very likely. They are former teammates at BU.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

I know not everyone has him in the squad but 6 months will take Tuch right up to the Olympics, barring a speedy recovery.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eichel might never again get a chance to play in the Olympics.

If he has the surgery Buffalo wants him to have or this drags out another few months, he may not be able to play. I don’t think we can win without Eichel. Center is our weakest position already with him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Eichel might never again get a chance to play in the Olympics.

If he has the surgery Buffalo wants him to have or this drags out another few months, he may not be able to play. I don’t think we can win without Eichel. Center is our weakest position already with him.

It would be a blow for sure. You'd be looking at Matthews at #1 and then guys like Larkin, Miller, and Trocheck for the #2 and 3 spot. Maybe guys like Zegras or Hughes if they come out guns blazing. Then guys like Nelson in the #4 spot.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not anti-Jones, and I would absolutely have him on the team. I think the fact that you could pair him with Werenski, who he has familiarity with, works to his benefit.

But he’s also competing for playing time with Fox, McAvoy, and Carlson. Each of those guys have been in better form than him the last few seasons. I’m not sure Jones is or should be guaranteed a big role. I think he’ll be on the team, but if he doesn’t show his top form to start next season, he may find himself in a small role.

I expect him to play better in Chicago where they play more to his strengths. But regardless, at this moment, I'd take Jones over John Carlson. Carlson is one of those guys, like say Chabot for Canada, who is an awkward fit on the national teams because the main thing he has to offer isn't especially needed. There will be other PP QBs and other guys to lead the attack at 5 v 5. And you certainly don't pick him for his lackadaisical defense.

Slavin - Fox
Werenski - Jones
McDonagh - McAvoy
Pesce

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
DeBrincat - Matthews - Kane
Guentzel - Eichel - M.Tkachuk
Pacioretty - Larkin - J.Robertson
B.Tkachuk - Pavelski - Garland
Connor
Trocheck

Slavin - Fox
Werenski - Jones
McDonagh - McAvoy
Pesce

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Knight​

Reactions: John Snow

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I expect him to play better in Chicago where they play more to his strengths. But regardless, at this moment, I'd take Jones over John Carlson. Carlson is one of those guys, like say Chabot for Canada, who is an awkward fit on the national teams because the main thing he has to offer isn't especially needed. There will be other PP QBs and other guys to lead the attack at 5 v 5. And you certainly don't pick him for his lackadaisical defense.

Slavin - Fox
Werenski - Jones
McDonagh - McAvoy
Pesce

I don’t disagree. I’m not a big Carlson fan either, but with 8 allowed, I’d bring him to QB PP1, and he can play bottom pairing minutes at ES.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Take a shot at it:

M. Tkachuk - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Eichel (if healthy) - DeBrincat
Guentzal - Larkin - Boeser
B. Tkachuk- Paveleski/Trocheck - Connor
Max Pac

Slavin - Fox
Chychrun - Carlson
Werenski - McAvoy
Pesce/McD

Hellybuck
Gibson
Demko

They have a lot of good options on Defense which could be interchangeable with who I picked. Like Werenski could be Hughes. Carlson Jones etc

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Take a shot at it:

M. Tkachuk - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Eichel (if healthy) - DeBrincat
Guentzal - Larkin - Boeser
B. Tkachuk- Paveleski/Trocheck - Connor
Max Pac

Slavin - Fox
Chychrun - Carlson
Werenski - McAvoy
Pesce/McD

Hellybuck
Gibson
Demko

They have a lot of good options on Defense which could be interchangeable with who I picked. Like Werenski could be Hughes. Carlson Jones etc

Chychrun represents Canada internationally.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Hopefully NHL is not in these China game's must be boycotted. And in Olympics i think they should not even play regular hockey pond hockey 4v4 with best amateurs would be good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Buffalo Sabres prospects should be boycotted by USAH for the World Juniors in upcoming years with what they’ve done about Eichel. We are done without Eichel.

Reactions: nickp91

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Team USA Looking for Olympic Buy-in

“According to USA Hockey executive director Pat Kelleher, the team is hoping to hold an orientation camp in the summer, with a roster named around Jan. 1. Bowman said there's no rush on the coach, but it goes without saying that will be another big news story.”

A summer camp will be exciting to get an idea of who’s going. Bowman and Guerin are fine choices to build the team just need to nail the coach.
I guess this orientation camp never came to fruition. I know Sweden has had a camp of sorts this summer.

Bee Holder

Jul 3, 2017
Montreal
So reading a lot of that thread… is no one actually considering Caufield? I mean if he starts next season the same way he played in the playoffs (or maybe even better considering age and development), shouldn’t he be considered as a lethal offensive threat for the US team?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
So reading a lot of that thread… is no one actually considering Caufield? I mean if he starts next season the same way he played in the playoffs (or maybe even better considering age and development), shouldn’t he be considered as a lethal offensive threat for the US team?

He had 12 points in 20 games, is that a big deal?

Guentzal had 21 points in 25 games as a rookie, next season he had 21 points in 12 games. No one would have put him on team USA

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad