TDL wish list, who, what, how many?

What should the Leafs do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I don't use twitter, and I can't offer a report on everyone. But Wennberg is what he's always been. A guy who takes pride and puts effort into his defensive game. He's responsible and sound, the definition of dependable.

But he refuses to shoot the puck. To the point of being maddening, he just doesn't shoot. That means he sometimes makes crazy pretty passing plays to a linemate that make you think he's a premier #2 center. But the long term reality is that he often kills his line by never shooting, and he can never be used on the powerplay.
cool, I am interested.

Reactions: banks

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
With Tanev gone I would say two right D of the list below would be a good mix of short and long term additions with min to moderate cost. Mo, T.J and McCabe on the Left side with Benoit at the 6/7.
If we can get a top four LD that is signed and plays like a youger TJ I would spend on them.

Borgen
Carrier
Bush
E.Johnson
Dumba
Durzi
Roy
Middleton
 Jensen
Savard
Bogo

Reactions: Gilmour1996

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
we have a "proper chance at the cup" every year 👍
That’s what Shanahan promised, I couldn’t of imagined things going this bad when he said that considering all the talent that’s been wasted

[looking at roster with a 26-year-old on pace for 70 goals] hopefully we write off the next 2 seasons and focus on 2025/26
Why not, what’s a couple of more years in the greater scheme of things……

I've always liked Matt Dumba. I wanted him instead of Klingberg in free agency. If he can come cheaper than Tanev, then I'd be fine sending a 3rd + 4th or a low level prospect.

Or how about some real dumpster diving for cheap?

Justin Schultz from Seattle?
Marc Staal from Philly?
I like the Nick Seeler suggestion from this thread.
Reunite with Calle Rosen?
Does Robert Hagg still play hockey?
Puke

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
With Tanev gone I would say two right D of the list below would be a good mix of short and long term additions with min to moderate cost. Mo, T.J and McCabe on the Left side with Benoit at the 6/7.
If we can get a top four LD that is signed and plays like a youger TJ I would spend on them.

Borgen
Carrier
Bush
E.Johnson
Dumba
Durzi
Roy
Middleton
 Jensen
Savard
Bogo
No Peeke?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I would go after Rutta in San Jose he still has year after this season on contract. He's not really young at 33 but he has experience with 2 cups. He can play 1-3 of the defense pairings and probably would not cost a ton to get. The other suggestion is shelling out to get Weegar(Flames taking on at least 2 million on the contract ofcourse). Would not even try to get Andersson as think the cost be to much! If looking for goalie Saros be perfect but preds have to be out of playoffs range before that happens! So maybe Markstrom might be better choice! As Flames chances are slim to make the playoffs now.

Last edited:

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Either go big and get Hanifin if possible or just don’t do anything. We aren’t a couple minor depth additions away from the Cup. Worst thing to do is trade picks and prospects for guys who won’t move the needle whatsoever

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
There is nothing that the Leafs can acquire this year that puts them over the top. Need 2 RHD that play solid in their own end and a forward who excels on the PK.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Both are pretty solid but we don't have the assets to get them and an effective forward who plays PK . I didn't even mention getting a solid goalie as our goalies are mixed bag as of right now.
I assume Peeke would come cheap, Borgen not so much, but add McCann or Gourde and you holes are filled, at what cost, not sure about that…….

Sep 18, 2009
Both are pretty solid but we don't have the assets to get them and an effective forward who plays PK . I didn't even mention getting a solid goalie as our goalies are mixed bag as of right now.
You have to go for it
Last chance for this franchise

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
You have to go for it
Last chance for this franchise
I think we still have 2-3 before our window closes significantly. When JTs contract is up for renewal, we should have more money and draft capital to play with. As much as I hate to say it, it would be wise to stay put this year unless we can rob a couple of GMs via trade.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The reality is we don't have the pieces to make the big splash. This will be the last chance for the big 4. They will have to carry this team and finally earn those big bucks. I expect no big splash this year. Years of own rentals and throwing away picks finally caught up to us. I highly doubt the first gets moved so its depth additions at reasonable prices.

Reactions: torontoblood

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
Thinking about this more, it is quite crazy and incredibly frustrating how the rebuild went down.

The tear down was excellent. No complaints whatsoever. And they hit home runs on early early 1st round pick (not always the case).

They had prospects at all levels, youth and cap space. So much cap space to work with.

The incredibly frustrating part, and to be fair, there were some fans I saw here that could see what was coming, everything just happened 12 months too early. They just couldn't quite see it through to the full resolution.

Obviously we know now how it went down, but the Tavares signing had massive, cascading impacts on the team. And the same year, they traded for Muzzin. If they just could've held on for 12 more months, the outlook would've been so different.

We'd, I think most would agree, have gotten the big 3 at a reduced rate. How much? No one knows for sure. But there would've been a savings there.

Marleau could've just walked, amd we could've drafted a Jarvis or a Mercer. Not world beaters, but solid players that contribute.

We could have gotten a Pinto, Kalyiev, Tomasino with the Muzzin trade.

But more than that, Hyman could've been kept, and we could've traded for more players that had term. We seem to have been trading for rentals for the last few seasons and have very little of those guys still with the organization.

Nearly every trade had to have an additional draft pick thrown in because everything needed retention. All those extra picks add up.

And now, we have very little assets to work trades with. We may get some cheap impending UFAs, but we can't really bring anyone in with term.

It is really hard to envision how to turn this team into a true contender. We are just so thin at certain positions.

What could've been if we just decided to hold on for one more season.
You are right that exceptional and clutch goaltending performances make the difference in the playoffs. But before trading our first round draft pick, let’s see what Joseph Woll can do for us in nets. So far, he’s been very solid and consistent from game to game. I want him to get back as our #1 for the rest of this season and the playoffs.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If they make a trade it has to be for a player with years left on the contract. They aren't a rental piece away from a cup, they are a miracle away from the cup sadly
From a cup yes. But lady luck(Woll goes psycho and channels Patrick Roy) could win 2 rounds. Leafs have always had flagrantly bad refs and horrible luck with injuries. If they make semis it will be called progress. Then let's all your ufas walk and load up this summer. One round in 5 years isn't time after you power loaded Ror, accari, Schenn. If this team can't win 2 rounds, the experiment ends and heads roll.

If they make a trade it has to be for a player with years left on the contract. They aren't a rental piece away from a cup, they are a miracle away from the cup sadly
From a cup yes. But lady luck(Woll goes psycho and channels Patrick Roy) could win 2 rounds. Leafs have always had flagrantly bad refs and horrible luck with injuries. If they make semis it will be called progress. Then let's all your ufas walk and load up this summer. One round in 5 years isn't time after you power loaded Ror, accari, Schenn. If this team can't win 2 rounds, the experiment ends and heads roll.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
No, but people were happy signing JT to a contract everyone knew would be ugly in the last two years, overjoyed to give Nylander a contract that will be just as ugly on the backend, so why break with tradition?
Nylander is a better player for a lower cap hit, who will almost certainly age much better.

Not a good comparison.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nylander is a better player for a lower cap hit, who will almost certainly age much better.

Not a good comparison.
88 will age better, but JT does have the desire to win, Styles not so much, JT’s abilities have declined, but not his passion for the game, 88’s
Not what I’d call a passionate guy. Regardless history will tell who’s right or wrong in this assessment…….

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
88 will age better, but JT does have the desire to win, Styles not so much, JT’s abilities have declined, but not his passion for the game, 88’s
Not what I’d call a passionate guy. Regardless history will tell who’s right or wrong in this assessment…….
I'm not sure I believe roboman has more desire to win, and if that's your only justification for thinking their contracts are comparable, you're on thin ice.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not sure I believe roboman has more desire to win, and if that's your only justification for thinking their contracts are comparable, you're on thin ice.

For starters…….

Awards and honours​

AwardYear
OHL
CHL
NHL
International
Jack Ferguson Award2005
OHL First All-Rookie Team2006
OHL rookie goal scoring lead (45)2006
Emms Family Award2006
OHL first All-Star team2007
Red Tilson Trophy2007
OHL goal scoring leader2007, 2009
Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy2009
OHL second All-Star team2009
CHL All-Rookie Team2006
CHL Rookie of the Year2006
CHL first All-Star team2007, 2009
CHL Player of the Year2007
CHL Top Draft Prospect Award2009
CHL Top Prospects Game Invitee2009
NHL All-Rookie Team2010
NHL All-Star2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
First NHL All-Star team2015
U17 WHC All-Star team2006
WJC gold medal2008, 2009
WJC All-Star team2009
WJC Best Forward2009
WJC Most Valuable Player2009
Spengler Cup winner2012
Winter Olympics gold medal2014
World Cup of Hockey winner2016

Awards and honours​

AwardsYearRef
J20 SuperElit
AHL
NHL
International
J20 SuperElit most points by under-18 junior (43)2012–13[37]
All-Star Classic2016[38]
Rookie of the MonthOctober 2016, March 2017[12]
NHL All-Star Game2024[30]
World U-17 Hockey Challenge gold medal2013[39]
IIHF World Championship MVP2017[40]
IIHF World Championship leading scorer (points)2019[41]
IIHF World Championship media All-Star team2019[41]

References​

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
For starters…….

Awards and honours​

AwardYear
OHL
CHL
NHL
International
Jack Ferguson Award2005
OHL First All-Rookie Team2006
OHL rookie goal scoring lead (45)2006
Emms Family Award2006
OHL first All-Star team2007
Red Tilson Trophy2007
OHL goal scoring leader2007, 2009
Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy2009
OHL second All-Star team2009
CHL All-Rookie Team2006
CHL Rookie of the Year2006
CHL first All-Star team2007, 2009
CHL Player of the Year2007
CHL Top Draft Prospect Award2009
CHL Top Prospects Game Invitee2009
NHL All-Rookie Team2010
NHL All-Star2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
First NHL All-Star team2015
U17 WHC All-Star team2006
WJC gold medal2008, 2009
WJC All-Star team2009
WJC Best Forward2009
WJC Most Valuable Player2009
Spengler Cup winner2012
Winter Olympics gold medal2014
World Cup of Hockey winner2016

Awards and honours​

AwardsYearRef
J20 SuperElit
AHL
NHL
International
J20 SuperElit most points by under-18 junior (43)2012–13[37]
All-Star Classic2016[38]
Rookie of the MonthOctober 2016, March 2017[12]
NHL All-Star Game2024[30]
World U-17 Hockey Challenge gold medal2013[39]
IIHF World Championship MVP2017[40]
IIHF World Championship leading scorer (points)2019[41]
IIHF World Championship media All-Star team2019[41]

References​

Yes, JT has been around longer and played on some very good teams and can score.

Not sure what your point is.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yes, JT has been around longer and played on some very good teams and can score.

Not sure what your point is.
Perhaps just that JT earned his bloated overpayment while Willy hasn’t done jack, in fact his only claims to fame are elite zone entries and putting up more playoff points then his counterparts 34 and 16, which isn’t hard to do since they’ve thus far been playoff chokers………

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Perhaps just that JT earned his bloated overpayment while Willy hasn’t done jack, in fact his only claims to fame are elite zone entries and putting up more playoff points then his counterparts 34 and 16, which isn’t hard to do since they’ve thus far been playoff chokers………
So because JT played for Canada he has done more than Nylander?

International achievments are difficult to use because Canada still has the upper hand so often.

Nylander has been impressive internationally, and never played in the CHL, so we can't know what he would have done.

They have had pretty equal playoff success at the NHL level.

JT has the edge on career right now. It will be interesting to see how it all ends up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad