TDL wish list, who, what, how many?

What should the Leafs do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
With the early bird GM's already activated and apparently highly motivated to buy what should Treliving do?
It's a divided camp here but there does seem to be considerable interest in making our own purchases. So what/who do posters believe we should target and if successful what result would be considered satisfactory?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Stand pat-ish.

If you can land a Saros, Andersson, Parayko then GRAB EM.

If you can land a 1st for Bert then go ahead - assuming he won't be interested in resigning next year at half price.

Otherwise just grab a cheap Dman. We can't play out the rest of the season and playoffs without replacing Kling and an already shattered defence, that would be ridiculous. Even of its just a Seeler type.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Needs
- Top 6 LW
- Bottom 6 Winger
- Top 4 RHD

Wants
- Another top 6 LW
- 3C
- Top 4 LHD
- Starting Goalie

I’d also want another 2C, because Tavares sure as hell ain’t one, especially come playoff time, as he is a 3C, but I know this one won’t happen so I won’t put it in either list

However I’d only buy with term, even 2 years is fine, but no 1 year rental like orielly or foligno

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Just stand pat. I don’t think a 34 year old Tanev will move the needle. The big 4 will have to do it all on their own, and deal with it. They have not carried this anywhere with help at the TDL before. What’s the point of trading assets just to lose in the 1st or 2nd round?
He is leaps and bounds better than Brodie. I am hesitent to give up anything for him, outside of dollars next offseason but if it was a 3rd and a meh prospect I would consider

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Needs
- Top 6 LW
- Bottom 6 Winger
- Top 4 RHD

Wants
- Another top 6 LW
- 3C
- Top 4 LHD
- Starting Goalie

I’d also want another 2C, because Tavares sure as hell ain’t one, especially come playoff time, as he is a 3C, but I know this one won’t happen so I won’t put it in either list

However I’d only buy with term, even 2 years is fine, but no 1 year rental like orielly or foligno

Quite possibly one of the hottest takes I've read lols

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The team doesn't have enough depth right now to just add 1 or 2 small pieces. My vote was just to stand pat and figure it out next off-season.

If Treliving wants to make an impact, he's going to need to add 2 quality defensemen and probably 2 impact forwards.

Looking at the defense from Vegas that won it last year or even any other competitive team, they had a very good top 4 defense. Right now, the Leafs have 1 defenseman in the top 4 that would even compare to what Vegas had last year.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes they should be looking to make moves. At this stage of the rebuild they should be looking at young Dmen and a 2C. I would hold off on the goalie unless it’s a cant miss like Saros.

The question is, how and with what?

Reactions: TMLife17

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If they make a trade it has to be for a player with years left on the contract. They aren't a rental piece away from a cup, they are a miracle away from the cup sadly

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Don't think we can afford to stand pat and waste another prime Matthews year, you gotta try and get better. Ideally not a rental, but we should be looking to add. Goaltending is still a huge question mark, Jones/Samsonov are extremely inconsistent and Woll hurt.

My wish list would be Tanev + Markstrom or Fleury + high energy bottom 6 forward that finishes his checks. Not sure who who fits the description.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
We don't have much to trade for anything decent. We could add a million Abruzzese's, Steeves' and Voit's together and it won't add up to much.

I'd look into moving the Albatross contracts out like Tavares, but it's nigh on impossible.

I don't even want to build the team through FA because you always have to overpay for anyone in demand.

I have no idea how management is going to fix this.

Sep 18, 2009
Needs
- Top 6 LW
- Bottom 6 Winger
- Top 4 RHD

Wants
- Another top 6 LW
- 3C
- Top 4 LHD
- Starting Goalie

Need
# 1D
# 1G
# 2C

horner

May 22, 2007
Just stand pat. I don’t think a 34 year old Tanev will move the needle. The big 4 will have to do it all on their own, and deal with it. They have not carried this anywhere with help at the TDL before. What’s the point of trading assets just to lose in the 1st or 2nd round?
For once carry this team on your back.
If you can't then changes in the off season
Trade
JT - retain 3 mil will will get a return o
Marner - retain 3 mil we will get a better return

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Nylander and Matthews stay left.

# 1G first keeper
# 1C first lineup
# 1D to powerplay
# 1RW to bottom lineup

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
you know what they say- 99% of gamblers quit right before they hit it big- why stop gambling now?

In all seriousness if Monahan is returning a 1st, stay the hell away from any trades and force the core 4 to actually do it themselves

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
With the prices, I'd prefer to stay out of the buyer market.

I wouldn't mind flipping one of Bertuzzi/Domi, and rock the young guys. Maybe add a RHD.

Seeing Monahan got a 1st + 3rd............ Lindholm got a 1st + a b prospect + a c prospect + a former 74 point forward and another pick. ...... This is a sellers market

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
we need a couple of quality top 4 D , hell we probably need 3 of them since the only one we have now is Rielly

problem is the golden boy moved almost all of our top picks last year and we're really not in a position to move the very few prospects we have

i'd sell and see of we if can re load in the summer and if not then sign some more guys to one year deals and sell next year as well

we're pretty much f***ed until Tavares expires , hopefully Tre has some balls and gets him to waive so we don't waste next season as well

Last edited:

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
I’m not that convinced that buying at the deadline equates to success. I think almost everybody liked/loved last year’s TDL additions and that (coupled with an injured Hedman and shaky Vasilevski) only got them to the second round. I just don’t see any deals to be made that can drastically improve the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad