Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Alex Killorn (7 years $4.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
How do you see that effecting the team? I don't watch TB all the time but to me Bishop is one of the best Goalies in the game. His size is incredible when habs played him in the playoffs I felt there would almost be no room to beat him.

I like all the guns you guys have upfront, but I don't know if your team can continue to win without strong goaltending. Hopefully Vas can prove to be elite as well but its a big difference to go from Vezna level goaltending to middle of the pack goaltending.

It's going to suck losing him, that's for sure. I'd much rather we'd resigned Bishop than Stamkos if we were going to keep one of the two, though ultimately I would have let them both walk given Bishop's injury history and Stammer's plethora of question marks. The problem with losing Bishop but keeping Stamkos (aside from the myriad issues intrinsic with Stammer and his contract) is that now we have to weaken our defense at the time when we're turning things over to a young goalie - at least if we'd let Stamkos walk as well as Bishop we could have had the cap space to improve or at least maintain our blue line.

So yeah, it's definitely a major concern.

Mad Brills*

It's going to suck losing him, that's for sure. I'd much rather we'd resigned Bishop than Stamkos if we were going to keep one of the two, though ultimately I would have let them both walk given Bishop's injury history and Stammer's plethora of question marks. The problem with losing Bishop but keeping Stamkos (aside from the myriad issues intrinsic with Stammer and his contract) is that now we have to weaken our defense at the time when we're turning things over to a young goalie - at least if we'd let Stamkos walk as well as Bishop we could have had the cap space to improve or at least maintain our blue line.

So yeah, it's definitely a major concern.

I do wonder if Johnson's on the way out with Stamkos staying.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
So they offered Hartnell to all 29 other teams and no team was willing to take him? Or maybe because he still has value they weren't willing to give him away for a crap return?

I mean really dude your making a lot of assumptions here.

Considering your entire argument for justifying this contract is that Killorn will be more productive with a bigger role, and that if the contract is a problem they can just trade him or buy him out in the future, I think you are the last person who needs to be worrying about others making assumptions.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I do wonder if Johnson's on the way out with Stamkos staying.

He very well could be. I figure Filppula, Garrison, Bishop, and one of Killorn, Palat, Johnson, or Drouin will have to go. Killorn would be my pick but clearing his salary may not be enough so it might require one of the other three be sacrificed. Drouin is the best of them all but will also be the most difficult to resign and if his attitude makes a return next season maybe Yzerman figures it's not worth breaking up the Triplets over a malcontent no matter how good he is. Between Johnson and Palat TJ is the better scorer but Palat's skillset is more difficult to replace; add in the fact that Johnson has durability concerns, will require more money to resign, and would bring in a better return and I think he's the choice assuming Killorn isn't sufficient and Drouin isn't a problem.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Disagree. IMHO 10 pts = 1 million. If you score 35 pts you should be paid about 3.5. If you can get 50 you should get 5 and so on. 4.45 for a 40 point player is decent, as I said maybe .5 overpaid. Playoffs and the chance for him to get an extra 5 points a year make up for that. Now its not a steal or discount like Stammer, but its a net value deal.
We will just have to agree to disagree there.

And these long contracts are starting to become the norm.
That comment is quite an embellishment. How many 15 goal/40 point forwards over the age of 25 have gotten a 7 year deal? This isn't a former top 10 pick who is 23 or 24. We are talking about a guy about to turn 27 who is probably the player he is at this point and at most will improve a little bit. Players like that do not get 7 year terms. Shaw is the closest comparison and he only got 6 years and just because Bergevin did something stupid doesn't justify Yzerman doing the same thing.

I am all for bridge deals, heck I think the NHL should of stuck to their guns and kept the 5 year max but as this summer has shown players want the long term security.
That is exactly why there have been TWO lockouts this century and another is likely on the way. Again, just because owners get carried away and give out stupid contracts doesn't make it smart for others to do the same. We have seen plenty of responsible contracts handed out this summer to restricted free agents such as Filip Forsberg, Kyle Palmieri, and Jaden Schwartz.

MTL just signed Shaw to a 6 year 3.9 deal. Killorn and Shaw aren't to different that is the going rate for these 40 pt players.
Like I said, that was a dumb move when Bergevin did it and it doesn't make it any less dumb for Yzerman to have done this deal. People will have their preferences and can squabble over the details but when you look at age, production, and intangibles Shaw and Killorn are extremely comparable players. Shaw's deal was bad, Killorn's is even worse.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yzerman is going to make it work. Watch. He is going to keep Johnson, Palat, Kucherov, and Drouin long term.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Too much money.

But it is Market Value considering what these 2nd/3rd line 40 point centers are getting

Definitely not a bargain like Steve Y negotiated with his other players.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Yzerman is going to make it work. Watch. He is going to keep Johnson, Palat, Kucherov, and Drouin long term.

I will be extremely impressed if he does so; I just don't see how he'll pull it off. Not unless he can convince Callahan to waive his NMC and convince somebody else to take him for little to no retention.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
In all seriousness, it makes you wonder how the same GM during the same summer can do so amazingly with contracts for elite players like Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman, and then turn around and do so poorly in signing a solid complimentary player like Alex Killorn.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I wasn't a fan of Brandon Sutter's contract.

But I have a feeling this is what they used as the closest comparable.

Bad contracts from other teams effect contracts on other teams.

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
Wonder what will happen next offseason when Drouin breaks out? I would flip one of the RFA:s (Johnson?) for picks or prospects!

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Surprised they went long term with Killorn since they've drafted a lot of guys that are comparable to him. Wonder what this means for Erne as well... if anything.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Since when does a complementary player get a 7 year contract? You should only take that risk with high end talent.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
dude cashed in. Works hard and gets to watch the top talent score until the post season :laugh: well for the last 3 anyways

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
If this deal makes them lose one of Kucherov/Jonhson/Palat then it's awful.

However, Stevie Y is a man with a plan. He'll keep all of them.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Everyone here mention him as a 3rd liner, but everytime I watch TB in the playoffs Killcorn plays like a top6 forward easily.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Wow. Are the Bolts going to have money for Kucherov? Outside of Hedman, he's their most important piece IMO.

I have first same thought, how Bolts afford to give Kucherov and next year Johnson, Palat, Drouin.

Does this mean Filppula is going to walk after 2-years or even traded next off-season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad