Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Alex Killorn (7 years $4.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
So yah just totally ignore the whole bigger role thing
I am not ignoring it at all. I am simply pointing out to just assume that a 27 year old is going to all of a sudden become significantly more productive and factor that into his contract is playing with fire.

once again the contract is fair value right now, as in he is being paid what he deserves as a middle sixer.
It's actually not. When you factor in the fact that he got a 7 year term which middle six players basically never got (unless they are under 25 and have huge upside) the AAV should have been at a discounted rate. He's making more than Sean Couturier and got two years more term/security.

Once again if it becomes an anchor can they not trade/buy out/ bury his contract?
Trade is possible but I doubt teams will be lining up to give up value for a 29 year old 15 goal/40 point guy in 2 years with 5 years of remaining term IF Tampa ends up with buyers remorse as you are suggesting. As far as buy out or burying his contract. To buy Killorn out at some point would result in a dead cap hit for several years so that's not even a realistic option for several years. Also, teams haven't been able to bury bad contracts in the AHL since the last CBA was agreed upon. So again, IF Tampa were to have buyers remores in 2 or 3 years they would likely be stuck with Killorn and that is what makes the combination of a 7 year term, along with AAV he got a risky proposition.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't like this contract. A case can be made for the AAV for sure. But that term is disgusting.

EXACTLY, and this is all I am trying to say and for some reason people just won't listen. A 4.45 million AAV for Killorn might be a little high but if it's on a 3 or 4 year deal you can justify it. When you combine the 7 year term which players like him simply do not get, along with the AAV it makes for a very questionable contract.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
If we're giving him that kind of term and a potential NMC in later years (I think that's what I read), I'm shocked that the lowest we could go is $4.45 million AAV. I wonder what he would have been awarded in arbitration.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Generalizing is fun. It's pretty well known that the Gudas trade was not good value.

It's not generalizing if it's usually true. Certain teams like the Leafs, Flyers, Rangers, etc will often get criticized no matter what moves or signings they make. Where as certain GM's or teams throughout periods of time will always seem to get a pass regardless of what they do. Yzerman is one of those current darlings who can do no wrong, along with the NHL's newest darlings the Florida Panthers.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
So yah just totally ignore the whole bigger role thing, once again the contract is fair value right now, as in he is being paid what he deserves as a middle sixer. Once again if it becomes an anchor can they not trade/buy out/ bury his contract?

Scotty Hartnell has AVERAGED 24 goals / 54 points the last three seasons and is owed an AAV of 4.75 million for the next three years. His paid salary also goes down to only 3 million during the last of those three years. Columbus has tried and couldn't move him this summer. So no, it's not just as simple is moving the player if he doesn't live up to the contract, especially when dealing with a 7 year term.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
No one is taking Filppula or Garrison without sending serious cash the other way, and both have either a NMC or NTC.

Last edited:

Mad Brills*

yeah, no one's taking filppula unless you add prosepcts/picks to him.

Can't just dump him for free

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Scotty Hartnell has AVERAGED 24 goals / 54 points the last three seasons and is owed an AAV of 4.75 million for the next three years. His paid salary also goes down to only 3 million during the last of those three years. Columbus has tried and couldn't move him this summer. So no, it's not just as simple is moving the player if he doesn't live up to the contract, especially when dealing with a 7 year term.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how Tampa will move some of their bad contracts out to keep their core intact. Chicago had to trade Teravainen just for one year cap relief of Bickell. Clarkson was traded, but it was a fair exchange in terms of money being exchanged.

My bet is on one of the triplets or Drouin gone based on Killorn's contract.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Seems like a bit too much cash and term for a complementary player, granted he's a very good complimentary player. One also has to wonder how much more development there is left for him as he will be turning 27 at the start of the year.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014

Lol... doesn't seem like it right now.

I assumed the AAV would be around there but 7 years? I guess he assumes he is going to improve his regular season play then to make it look like he took less money in the future. He certainly didn't take much less than market value today though.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
It's not generalizing if it's usually true. Certain teams like the Leafs, Flyers, Rangers, etc will often get criticized no matter what moves or signings they make. Where as certain GM's or teams throughout periods of time will always seem to get a pass regardless of what they do. Yzerman is one of those current darlings who can do no wrong, along with the NHL's newest darlings the Florida Panthers.

No, some fan bases are just more blind followers than others, leading 29 other teams to correct them when they are thrilled with a stupid move. (See: Leafs)

The Callahan contract is bad, Filppula is overpaid, and the Carle contract was absolute ****. Literally no one will deny any of these claims. Is this enough for you?

Yzerman thinks Killorn took LESS average annual value to stay? Wow, talk about overvaluing your own player.

Please, show me where it says this. This is hilariously misinterpreted.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

So they offered Hartnell to all 29 other teams and no team was willing to take him? Or maybe because he still has value they weren't willing to give him away for a crap return?

I mean really dude your making a lot of assumptions here.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014

Have you been living under a rock for the past year or two?

There are few GMs that have been taken as much **** on here as Yzerman for losing Marty and "almost" losing Drouin and Stamkos. It's just that Yzerman came out on top and managed to sign his core players to very good deals. People like Benning and Bergevin have done nothing of sort to deserve any kind of praise.

Same goes for Pittsburgh. The management have taken a lot of **** over the past couple of years, especially on here and rightfuly so but guess what they did? They made key acquisitions during the off season and prior to the trade deadline along with firing of their coach and hiring a guy who managed to get the best out of players like Crosby, Kessel in a very short amount of time. As a sweetener, they also won the cup.

Give credit where it's due, mate. I know it sounds distant, but maybe, just maybe... one day your team gets there too. I know you will be showing it down our throats when that time comes. Do you want us to act the same way you do now at that moment? :)

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Don't think the term is bad at all. Killorn is as consistent as they come should still be in the 15 - 25 - 40 area most of this deal. He doesn't play a game that leads to early deterioration. The AAV is low enough that even if in years 5-7 he's a 25-30 point player it doesn't hurt. Jamie Benn is the same age and signed for an additional year at a huge AAV. If in years 6-8 he 50-60 point player that's going to sting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad