Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Alex Killorn (7 years $4.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ForSpareParts*

I am really surprised at the term.

I suppose he could never quite get the right price so Tampa offered term instead.

I like Killorn. Good player.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
1 million for every 10 points unless you bring some crazy intangibles.

So right now at 4.45 he is about .45 overpaid, but his great playoffs make up for that. Also all he needs to do is avg 45 points and the deal will be fine. Killhorn isn't some 35 year old he can still grow a bit.

The problem is he is overpaid in general, considering he got a 7 year term the cap hit should have been a bargain rate for a player like him and it is not. Yeah I get he has had some good playoff runs and he's a responsible two-way player, but we are talking about a guy who averages 15 goals and 40 points.

This is a bad deal no matter how you slice it, but for some reason the majority of people on HFboards seem to think every deal is a good one when it is signed.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I'm guessing that Tampa Bay thinks that he'll figure out the regular season sometime soon and was afraid that, after he does, they wouldn't be able to afford to keep him once a shorter contract ended. Based on his abilities, playoff success and entering his prime, it's not a stretch for him to become a consistent 25-goal guy in the regular season. If he reaches that, especially soon, $4.45M would seem very fair, perhaps even a bit of a bargain. Even if he never reaches that, but simply continues being a playoff performer, I doubt that Tampa Bay will mind.

This is probably part of it. One reason Killorn's game has stepped up in the playoffs is because we've consistently played him in the top six at that point, while in the regular season he's usually played a shutdown role with non-scorers like Filppula and Callahan. A full year on a line with either Johnson and Kucherov or Stamkos and Drouin and his production could easily increase.

I understand the cap situation, but I don't know about trading Bishop from a TB perspective. I am a habs fan so only see Bishop a few times a year but to me he seems like a very important piece of the team. I almost put him at Price level for TB. I just cant imagine the team not missing a Vezna goalie if he is traded. And there is also the point that TB has yet to win in the playoffs (with Cooper) without Bishop.

Most of us have resigned ourselves to losing Bishop to free agency next summer. That said there's no reason to move him before then unless the return is substantial. If Dallas gives in on Honka we'd probably move him early, but otherwise we can easily trade Garrison now and let Bishop walk in 2017.

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
7 years for Killorn!? He's a pretty good player but these contract lengths are getting ridiculous.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Killorn is one of my favorites bottom 6 forwards in the league but that seems like a really big contract for him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The problem is he is overpaid in general, considering he got a 7 year term the cap hit should have been a bargain rate for a player like him and it is not. Yeah I get he has had some good playoff runs and he's a responsible two-way player, but we are talking about a guy who averages 15 goals and 40 points.

This is a bad deal no matter how you slice it, but for some reason the majority of people on HFboards seem to think every deal is a good one when it is signed.

But if you look what TB fans are saying, is that if Killorn plays in the top 6, they expect the points to go up. And again, if he was a 45 point guy, he is right on par with the 10pts per million. So to hope off a 5 point increase is reasonable.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Idk what the TBL's cap situation is but they cant possibly sign everyone. Who gets sacrificed in the long run besides Bishop? Kucherov?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Considering how HF grades Yzerman on moves right after they happen I expect a Conn Smythe in Killorn future.

The funny thing is that it is not out of the question completely. It will be tough for him to find the net more than Kucherov though.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Idk what the TBL's cap situation is but they cant possibly sign everyone. Who gets sacrificed in the long run besides Bishop? Kucherov?

Bishop, Filppula, Garrison, and one of Killorn, Palat, Johnson, or Drouin (preferably either Killorn or Johnson depending on how much cap space we need - Drouin is too good and Palat too synergistic with everybody he plays with.) Kucherov won't be going anywhere.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
The funny thing is that it is not out of the question completely. It will be tough for him to find the net more than Kucherov though.

Yeah, I think people really do overlook what a beast he is during the playoffs. I'm not sure that he'll be worth the money for the entire term, but it's not the worst deal in the league.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
How is Tampa gonna pay everyone with Johnson, Palat Sustr and Drouin all RFA next year.

Also Kucherov and Namestnikov needing deals right now

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
That Callahan contract is looking amazing right now :sarcasm:

Kadri just got 6 years at 4.5 and he is a much better player than Killorn.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
This is probably part of it. One reason Killorn's game has stepped up in the playoffs is because we've consistently played him in the top six at that point, while in the regular season he's usually played a shutdown role with non-scorers like Filppula and Callahan. A full year on a line with either Johnson and Kucherov or Stamkos and Drouin and his production could easily increase.

I'm pretty sure Killorn already plays on the top 6 consistently. Seems weird that you don't know that as a Tampa fan. He spent around 90% of his ice time EVS with at least one of Johnson, Kucherov or Stamkos last season. If Killorn and not Drouin is on Stamkos' wing, Cooper is doing something wrong.

There really isn't anything wrong with the AAV per se as long as he maintains his play as a 40pt forward, but his play could easily see a fall off. The fact that he gets so much ice time lined up with star players and doesn't produce a lot should be concerning moving forward.

If nothing else, players like Brown or Callahan should serve as a warning that these fall offs or declines happen quickly and swiftly. That's why you should never sign these type of players to long term contracts.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
That Callahan contract is looking amazing right now :sarcasm:

Kadri just got 6 years at 4.5 and he is a much better player than Killorn.

Yeah, but Killorn has more playoff points over the past few seasons than the Leafs' entire roster combined.;)

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
How's that Kadri guy in the playoffs? :sarcasm:

That has nothing to do with the fact that both Callahan and Killorn are both repetitively overpaid.

Yeah, but Killorn has more playoff points over the past few seasons than the Leafs' entire roster combined.;)

The Leafs suck, and have for a long time, what the hell does that have to do with Killorn making more money than he should and Callahan being an anchor?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

No he isn't good middle six players get paid 4+ million a year now. As the salary cap goes up so do salaries, I mean really all of you saying this is an overpayment. Do you not understand how this works?

The term may be a bit much, but there are multiple ways around that if his contract becomes an anchor, I mean the leafs traded the Clarkson contract for god sakes.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
just do bishop for niemi and honka

As open to that as I'd be, I really think Honka is off the table.

What about something like Niemi, Eakin, and a non eligible expansion prospect (Hintz is the first to come to mind) for Bishop and Filppula? An Eakin-Filpp swap saves Tampa around 1.2 million, plus whatever the exact savings are on Niemi and Bishop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad