Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Alex Killorn (7 years $4.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Didn't think he'd get 7 years (figured it would be 5 or 6 years), but figured he'd get 4.5m. Tough spot for Tampa, but no surprise they signed him. That will be a really interesting team over the next 2 years to see what they do roster wise when it comes to signing JT, Palat and Drouin.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Don't think the term is bad at all. Killorn is as consistent as they come should still be in the 15 - 25 - 40 area most of this deal. He doesn't play a game that leads to early deterioration. The AAV is low enough that even if in years 5-7 he's a 25-30 point player it doesn't hurt. Jamie Benn is the same age and signed for an additional year at a huge AAV. If in years 6-8 he 50-60 point player that's going to sting.[/
I agree with most of your post, but this is garbage, in a league that is already really tough to score in 50-60 point players are invaluable.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yzerman thinks Killorn took LESS average annual value to stay? Wow, talk about overvaluing your own player.

Agreed. I think him taking less would have been him taking 4m or so. Taking 50k less then the 4.5m or so many figured he'd get is nothing. I highly doubt that a lot of teams would have been lining up to offer him 4.75-5m over 7 years.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Have you been living under a rock for the past year or two?

There are few GMs that have been taken as much **** on here as Yzerman for losing Marty and "almost" losing Drouin and Stamkos.

Hell, I'm still giving him **** for not losing Stamkos. That deal scares me a lot more than Killorn's considering it's an extra $4M per AND an extra year for a guy who scores less in the playoffs, isn't as good defensively, and has serious health concerns - not to mention the NMC every season which keeps us from moving him next summer if necessary to resign Drouin, Johnson, and Palat. If a contract screws us over going forward it'll be Stammer's, not Killorn's.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Been a good playoff performer for them. Just gotta hope that keeps up.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Does Tampa have enough money left to re-sign Kucherov?

Possibly, but if not Garrison is an easy sell to clear space. There's always demand for a solid 2/3D with some offensive pop and we'd have to move him next summer anyway so it's not a huge loss if we have to do so a year early. That's assuming Bishop doesn't get traded by next season and Yzerman can't find a taker for Filppula. So we won't have a problem getting Kucherov under the cap this summer; next er is when the real cap crunch hits us.

Dallas1960

Oct 26, 2015
Cap Crunch

Ouch, on this contract. I am not familiar with Tampa Bay players except for the obvious ones..Stamkos, Drouin, etc. But based on the other RFA's and UFA's to be, where do most of the others fit financially as a guess? I am always curious about money management, but wow these salaries are mind boggling. :amazed:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
:laugh: He's a 40 point player who just signed a 30 million dollar contract, no money was left on the table.

Yeah, he's a very good player with an alright cap hit...but in no world do I see Killorn as a $5 million player. I don't think the term really bought much of anything off his cap hit for what I think he's worth. I think he's a $4.5 million player for 5 years...I don't think 2 extra years is worth a $50k decrease.

It's an alright contract, but I certainly don't see this as a discounted deal in any way.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
so ya, the reign has definitely tilted towards the East

Washington, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay are stacked

Chicago, Los Angeles, and Anaheim have weakened significantly

pretty much one of WSH PIT TB are likely to win the cup this season, still early but they seem to be heavy favorites in my view

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The problem is he is overpaid in general, considering he got a 7 year term the cap hit should have been a bargain rate for a player like him and it is not. Yeah I get he has had some good playoff runs and he's a responsible two-way player, but we are talking about a guy who averages 15 goals and 40 points.

This is a bad deal no matter how you slice it, but for some reason the majority of people on HFboards seem to think every deal is a good one when it is signed.

Disagree. IMHO 10 pts = 1 million. If you score 35 pts you should be paid about 3.5. If you can get 50 you should get 5 and so on. 4.45 for a 40 point player is decent, as I said maybe .5 overpaid. Playoffs and the chance for him to get an extra 5 points a year make up for that. Now its not a steal or discount like Stammer, but its a net value deal.

And these long contracts are starting to become the norm. I am all for bridge deals, heck I think the NHL should of stuck to their guns and kept the 5 year max but as this summer has shown players want the long term security.

MTL just signed Shaw to a 6 year 3.9 deal. Killorn and Shaw aren't to different that is the going rate for these 40 pt players.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Most of us have resigned ourselves to losing Bishop to free agency next summer. That said there's no reason to move him before then unless the return is substantial. If Dallas gives in on Honka we'd probably move him early, but otherwise we can easily trade Garrison now and let Bishop walk in 2017.

How do you see that effecting the team? I don't watch TB all the time but to me Bishop is one of the best Goalies in the game. His size is incredible when habs played him in the playoffs I felt there would almost be no room to beat him.

I like all the guns you guys have upfront, but I don't know if your team can continue to win without strong goaltending. Hopefully Vas can prove to be elite as well but its a big difference to go from Vezna level goaltending to middle of the pack goaltending.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
In the playoffs Killorn turns into a puck possession freak, he scores at a 0.7Pts per game, which is the new 1ppg nowadays, on top of a terrific two-way game. In short this guy can dominate when it matters. For that alone, he's totally worth his contract.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Overpayment

Overpayment? That is the going rate for a .50 two way forward. A .60 two way player would be a little over 5 million and a .70ish two way player is more around 6 million what Palat will likely get.

This is a good deal for Tampa for an underrated player. Was going to get a Stamkos jersey but now am getting a Killorn one.

feds91

May 17, 2004
Does Tampa have enough money left to re-sign Kucherov?

according to general fanager, they have over 8.5 mil in cap space. It's more next year they should be worried about, having to re-sign Drouin, Palat, Johnson, and possibly Bishop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad