Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Alex Killorn (7 years $4.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I have first same thought, how Bolts afford to give Kucherov and next year Johnson, Palat, Drouin.

Does this mean Filppula is going to walk after 2-years or even traded next off-season?

I hate to say it but the Bolts could do without Filp.

They need Kucherov, Johnson and Drouin though.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Good deal for an under appreciated player. He always steps up in the post-season, too.

Reminds me of Cory Stillman in how he goes about his business on the ice.

Even if you think it's a year or two too long, it's not an immovable contract, IMO.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
If this deal makes them lose one of Kucherov/Jonhson/Palat then it's awful.

However, Stevie Y is a man with a plan. He'll keep all of them.

Kucherov won't be going anywhere. As for Killorn vs Johnson/Palat/Drouin this deal gives Yzerman a degree of certainty of cost on which to base the rest of his decisions. If moving Killorn turns out to be sufficient to keep the other three than he'll do that (worst case Vegas would snatch Killer up in a heartbeat); if not or if one of the other three is completely unreasonable with his demands then Yzerman moves that player and keeps Killorn. Basically this signing doesn't lock us into anything - it merely removes one variable from the equation.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He's top 6 forward. Always been.

He's not having shiny numbers in the regular season but he's been a core piece of Tampa's last playoffs runs and he would've been hard to replace. Tampa's not going to be in cap hell because of Killer moreover, if he's overpaid it's by a minimal margin.

Flippula and Callahan combining almost $11M on the 3rd line, now that's a cap concern

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The term is crazy but the AAV is fine. I just assumed he would be the odd-man out in the event of a cap crunch after Kucherov was signed.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Hilarious to read all the people saying hes not worth 4.5 mil per because of 40pts.. have any of you seen him in the playoffs? The man is a beast come crunch time. Is the term too long? sure. But SY has his core and wants to go with it for the long haul. This cap world is a very different world than that of the 90s. Keeping a large part of a teams core together for 6-7 years is almost unheard of.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Wow. 40 point players make that mind of cash and term? Put any "meh" guy into a top 6 role and they can get you fourty points for way less cash. Look at parenteau on the leafs this year. Nevermind the bolts

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
7 years, a 4.5 million average annual value, and a no trade or full NMC from years 2-7 of the deal, for Alex Killorn? Seriously, he is a nice player but nobody can honestly believe that's a good deal for Tampa. They are going to end up seriously regretting that deal in 2 or 3 years. That's all I can say about that.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
In the playoffs Killorn turns into a puck possession freak, he scores at a 0.7Pts per game, which is the new 1ppg nowadays, on top of a terrific two-way game. In short this guy can dominate when it matters. For that alone, he's totally worth his contract.

ya but on these boards it's only seasonal stats that matter

since the majority of people on these boards are fans of teams that never make the playoffs lol

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Killorn is an important piece and has good chemistry with the other guys. It is a good deal for him and the team. I hoped for a little more of a discount but we won't regret keeping Killer.
The Bolts are a great team that is mainly built from a core of players who have played together for years before coming to the NHL. I like this approach and obviously it has been working. I thought we may lose Killer but now he is staying it makes me wonder what is next in the amazing Yzerplan.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
ya but on these boards it's only seasonal stats that matter

since the majority of people on these boards are fans of teams that never make the playoffs lol

The guy is coasting in the regular season but anyone who watched Tampa in the playoffs over the past 2 years knows how important he is to this team. Playing 18-20 minutes per game, he scores, he's clutch, he drives play, his defense is really good, the kid's in no way shape or form a depth player.

If you consider Kuch and Drouin RW, Killorn is Tampa's best LW in the playoffs, yes Killorn's outplayed Palat in the playoffs, by a small but clear margin. As much as it pains me to admit it by the way, Palat being hands down my favorite player.

Those who claim players like Killer shouldn't be locked up are clueless.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Money is fair but Alex Killorn and 7 years.. What ?

I guess this is the direction we're heading.

That's where I'm at as well, 7 years for a complimentary player seems nuts to me.

If this is the new normal, which it seems to be, it's going to lead to some interesting situations down the road.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Good deal for an under appreciated player. He always steps up in the post-season, too.

Reminds me of Cory Stillman in how he goes about his business on the ice.

Even if you think it's a year or two too long, it's not an immovable contract, IMO.

Thank you.

And unless you watch his forecheck and defensive play all season, people just do not understand how good Killer is. Not to mention in the playoffs he's "that" guy everyone forgets about and hangs a goal or two on the opposition.

I'll take a 2 way player with a bloody nose for the net in the playoffs all day long.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I didn't expect that term but he's worth the money. What he brings to the playoffs is a whole other level. Almost as good as Kuch and Hedman. Not really a discount or steal with the $ but happy to keep him. He's apart of the core.

91, 77, 27, 9, 18, 86, 17, 6, 88. Thats the core.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Honestly....I think it's a decent signing. Money is good, ideally would have been 4-5 years, but Killorn offers the flexibility of slotting in the top six. He's not a high end top six forward, but serving as the third best player on the line? Great role for him. If one of Drouin/Johnson/Palat become an issue to re-sign, it makes it easy to ship one of them out. You'll still have Stamkos/Kucherov+two of Johnson, Palat, and Drouin, and Killorn can comfortably fill one of the other top six spots. That would still be a great forward core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad