Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovethiscity

Nov 9, 2014
Tampa, FL
I think his agent tried to do whatever he could to get TB to go up in price. I think when Stamkos finally put his word in the agent had to give in to Yzermans deal. Stamkos let his agent do his job but there came a time when it was Stamkos call. He wanted to come back, Yzerman didn't budge because Stamkos or no Stamkos his team is a contender. Pretty much had the upper hand.

Well put. I wonder if Stamkos would have gotten more out of it if he was as convincing with his stance as his agent was.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
One of two things happened IMO:

1) Toronto didn't offer him as much of a contract as he expected
2) He was using Toronto/Buffalo/etc to boost TB's offer (which it didn't, good on yzerman)

I'm leaning more towards option 2.

TBH I'd be kind of scared that the contract is buyout proof/insurance proof due to the bonus structure because he's coming off a weird injury, but that probably was the reason why the cap hit is 8.5 and not something like 9 or 9.5

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
We built the rinks, the roads, the hospitals, the minor hockey systems and coaching. We ALL put our kids into the system. This winner of the genetic lottery decided to come back and **** us in the ear for contract leverage.

So yeah I am mad, I will never not be mad so **** him forever.

:sarcasm:

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
We built the rinks, the roads, the hospitals, the minor hockey systems and coaching. We ALL put our kids into the system. This winner of the genetic lottery decided to come back and **** us in the ear for contract leverage.

lol contract leverage? that was the same one offered months ago.? any by yor logic he was supposed to come cuz he played there as a kid? So every Ontario kid is obligated to sign there? or just the elite ones. dumbest post i have ever read

Lovethiscity

Nov 9, 2014
Tampa, FL

you're pist; his parent ain't

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
He probably was on the fence until he saw what a circus it was with endorsement deals and CEO's that he said F this, I'm going back "home" where it is just about playing hockey.

In the end he went home, the home he as been at for the past 8 years.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
One of two things happened IMO:

1) Toronto didn't offer him as much of a contract as he expected
2) He was using Toronto/Buffalo/etc to boost TB's offer (which it didn't, good on yzerman)

I'm leaning more towards option 2.

TBH I'd be kind of scared that the contract is buyout proof/insurance proof due to the bonus structure because he's coming off a weird injury, but that probably was the reason why the cap hit is 8.5 and not something like 9 or 9.5

They couldn't talk contract numbers, just commercial and stuffed Stamkos doll numbers...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
he'll regret it, could have owned Toronto, walk into any room flashing his stacks of Canadian Tire money and the ladies would all be his

OB-SX680_CANTIR_G_20120510160825.jpg

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
he'll regret it, could have owned Toronto, walk into any room flashing his stacks of Canadian Tire money and the ladies would all be his

OB-SX680_CANTIR_G_20120510160825.jpg

Lol, I'm telling you he saw the circus was in Toronto and ran, other wise he could have waited till July 1, saw the offers... But he didn't need to see then after the circus in Toronto. The scared him away, lol

Something tells me he would prefer the ladies in Tampa

Bikinis over Parkas
Miami over Matthews
Tata's over Toronto

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
People are really overanalyzing this. Look at TB's roster(made to the cup final and conference final last 2 years), and look at the Leafs(30th). Stamkos is in the prime of his career. He wants to play for a team that can contend for a cup while he is in his prime. Also Florida is not a bad place to live and play. Some would certainly prefer living there than to Toronto. Other than Stamkos being born in the GTA, there is absolutely no reason for him to want to play there. I don't think Toronto was close. I wouldn't be surprised if Stamkos did not sign with TB, he may have signed elsewhere, most likely a team closer to winning a cup. This is about winning, he was getting paid anywhere he went. Athletes of this ilk just want to win.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

Wonder who the fourth team is. My initial guess were NYR or Boston.

Detroit not making a pitch is weird. Considering they rushed to move Datsyuk's cap hit ASAP, plus the rumours suggesting that they were interested. But I guess Holland is gonna Holland.

Stamkos made a smart move, going to Toronto is a ********* waiting to happen in regards to expectations and media scrutiny. Might as well compete with TBL now that their window is open. That and playing in one of the strongest teams in the Eastern Conference.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Detroit not making a pitch is weird. Considering they rushed to move Datsyuk's cap hit ASAP, plus the rumours suggesting that they were interested. But I guess Holland is gonna Holland.

Stamkos made a smart move, going to Toronto is a ********* waiting to happen in regards to expectations and media scrutiny. Might as well compete with TBL now that their window is open. That and playing in one of the strongest teams in the Eastern Conference.

Well the wording of the tweet is that the teams "got to" make pitches - which suggests that perhaps the Red Wings weren't invited to make one. It seems strange if that's that case - but it's possible.

As far as the Leafs go, the course they're on is promising; however, there is no certainty re how the rebuild will turn out or the timing involved. TBL's cup window is open - and who knows when (if?) the Leafs' will be as competitive as TBL is right now.

People are really overanalyzing this. Look at TB's roster(made to the cup final and conference final last 2 years), and look at the Leafs(30th). Stamkos is in the prime of his career. He wants to play for a team that can contend for a cup while he is in his prime. Also Florida is not a bad place to live and play. Some would certainly prefer living there than to Toronto. Other than Stamkos being born in the GTA, there is absolutely no reason for him to want to play there. I don't think Toronto was close. I wouldn't be surprised if Stamkos did not sign with TB, he may have signed elsewhere, most likely a team closer to winning a cup. This is about winning, he was getting paid anywhere he went. Athletes of this ilk just want to win.

We don't always agree with each other, but I agree with most of what you've written. Another aspect is I've read/heard his longtime girlfriend lives in Florida and has a job. If that's the case (and I might not have that right) it's possible that was also a consideration for him.

Had he not signed in Florida, I think it would have been the Leafs - but I can see how staying in Tampa would have been extremely attractive for him.

Last edited:

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Stamkos is a *****...it's pretty obvious it was just meant to pressure Yzerman into upping his offer the entire time. All the liking tweets nonsense ect. And he never had the balls to face the media himself about it once just let his agent spread ******** rumors he knows will get peoples hopes up in Toronto because he lives there. Hope he get's boo'd in Toronto, not because he necessarily deserves it but just because it's more fun than indifference.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto would have had to acquire the rights before the trade deadline, or they can only offer 7 years

It was all over the news the past few days that Yzerman was willing to sign him (8yrs at whatever the agreed term was) and trade him to the team he selected to gain assets if Stamkos wasn't going to resign

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've definitely gained respect for Stamkos. He stayed with the team that developed him and he accepted less than he could've gotten on the open market. This is the deal that I wanted Kopitar to sign with LA. There was no way that Kopitar was going to go anywhere else. Like Stamkos and TB, he loves LA. If Lombardi had stuck to 8x8.5M, like Yzerman, Kopitar would've eventually accepted (because 7x10M from another team would've been only $2M more total dollars) and LA's cap situation would've been better off.

Also, as Friedman pointed out, when Hedman is due, Yzerman can point out that Stamkos took a little less to stay. In contrast, when Doughty is due, he has less incentive to take less than market value because his teammate didn't. Yzerman did well to stand firmly and use Stamkos' desire to stay to his advantage, rather than caving. It may've been a bit messy, but the implications of the cap savings will be big.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Stamkos is a *****...it's pretty obvious it was just meant to pressure Yzerman into upping his offer the entire time. All the liking tweets nonsense ect. And he never had the balls to face the media himself about it once just let his agent spread ******** rumors he knows will get peoples hopes up in Toronto because he lives there. Hope he get's boo'd in Toronto, not because he necessarily deserves it but just because it's more fun than indifference.

You mean the exact same $68M/8 offer Yzerman made during the season?

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad