Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
I mean I respect the deal Steven Stamkos took, shows that he actually wants to be apart of a competitive team. People rail on Kane and Toews for taking such big contracts but I wonder if they are fine with their 3 cups

Lovethiscity

Nov 9, 2014
Tampa, FL
Stamkos is a *****...it's pretty obvious it was just meant to pressure Yzerman into upping his offer the entire time. All the liking tweets nonsense ect. And he never had the balls to face the media himself about it once just let his agent spread ******** rumors he knows will get peoples hopes up in Toronto because he lives there. Hope he get's boo'd in Toronto, not because he necessarily deserves it but just because it's more fun than indifference.

Maybe it was all a bit of franchise espionage

JS91

May 14, 2014
I have extremely mixed feelings about this. If Stamkos keeps playing the way he's been playing lately, this is a bad deal. A full NMC through the contract means he holds all the cards now. If it turns out he really is a 70 point 30-40 goal center I don't know if he's worth 8,5.

That said, this could get REALLY exciting because the fact is, Drouin really showed what he can do in the playoffs and that was with Stamkos injured. Next season we could very well see that Stamkos - Drouin connection that we've been wanting to see for a long time. If that works out the way we hope it to work out, Stamkos could return to a 50 goal scorer and maybe even PPG form.

Still, it's probably the best contract we could have signed with him so I'm happy. He is still easily one of my favorite players and I would've still supported him no matter where he went. Him staying with us is concerning because this deal could handicap the team, but having him in the team makes watching it a lot more exciting which is why it's worth it.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Cool that he's committing to the franchise he's been with since day one.

But hey, with that money I would have no trouble doing that either.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
I've definitely gained respect for Stamkos. He stayed with the team that developed him and he accepted less than he could've gotten on the open market. This is the deal that I wanted Kopitar to sign with LA. There was no way that Kopitar was going to go anywhere else. Like Stamkos and TB, he loves LA. If Lombardi had stuck to 8x8.5M, like Yzerman, Kopitar would've eventually accepted (because 7x10M from another team would've been only $2M more total dollars) and LA's cap situation would've been better off.

Also, as Friedman pointed out, when Hedman is due, Yzerman can point out that Stamkos took a little less to stay. In contrast, when Doughty is due, he has less incentive to take less than market value because his teammate didn't. Yzerman did well to stand firmly and use Stamkos' desire to stay to his advantage, rather than caving. It may've been a bit messy, but the implications of the cap savings will be big.

Yeah Yzerman is the best gm in the league right now. He made some bad singning like Calahan and Carle but everyone make some:nod:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Being a top GM in this league is not quite hard given the trades that went down last night. :sarcasm:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
make fun of Benning all u want i know it must hurt to lose him after all the false rumous leaf fans started. enjoy the crow

What rumors we made up? Typical HF. Leafs are damned if they do, damned if don't. We sign a player it's "hahaha what a dumb signing" we don't sign a player it's "lol stupid leafs fans have no idea how bad this contract is, let me explain how much smarter I am than you". It's no wonder our fanbase has very little respect for others. Outside of Preds fans, nobody even tries to have a reasonable conversation. It's childish.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What rumors we made up? Typical HF. Leafs are damned if they do, damned if don't. We sign a player it's "hahaha what a dumb signing" we don't sign a player it's "lol stupid leafs fans have no idea how bad this contract is, let me explain how much smarter I am than you". It's no wonder our fanbase has very little respect for others. Outside of Preds fans, nobody even tries to have a reasonable conversation. It's childish.

I said it before, and I'll say it now: You dodged a bullet here.

For me, the AAV softened the edge of this a bit. But Stamkos's on-ice performance is more than a little worrisome even at this number. In two years or so, I think Toronto fans will be pretty happy about this. And I think TB fans can be happy too, because despite our worries, no one ever said he was a bad face of the franchise. So, as long as Stamkos doesn't continue to regress, we can probably live with 8.5.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
The deal was on the table since forever on Tampas side and he takes it until the second last day he could. **** Stamkos. I wouldn't have minded if he had signed a big deal with Tampa or another team but to take the deal that has been on the table for months is a joke. Can't wait to hear him in 15 years lamenting about how he should have signed with the home town team.

Good luck to Tampa to re signing Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat and Drouin in the next 2 years.

The salt is real.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Congrats Tampa, got him at a bargain. Bet every other GM loves Yzerman for keeping Stamkos price down. :D

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
I wonder why he didn't even meet with Detroit? Something seems fishy about that.

Maybe he had decided he'd had enough visits and knew where he wanted to be, or maybe he just didn't want to play for the Wings. I don't really see the leap to "something fishy".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad