Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Seriously, Leaf fans, what exactly does Steven Stamkos owe to the city of Toronto, the Toronto Maple Leafs, or its fans? He stayed where has the best chance to win and saved your team a $12.37M AAV cap hit.

We built the rinks, the roads, the hospitals, the minor hockey systems and coaching. We ALL put our kids into the system. This winner of the genetic lottery decided to come back and **** us in the ear for contract leverage.

So yeah I am mad, I will never not be mad so **** him forever.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
We built the rinks, the roads, the hospitals, the minor hockey systems and coaching. We ALL put our kids into the system. This winner of the genetic lottery decided to come back and **** us in the ear for contract leverage.

...what?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Let me guess, you purchased a Stamkos Leafs jersey, didn't you?

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia

How so???? He signed a deal that's been on the table for months.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Can't say I am surprised that he stayed in Tampa, nor am I terribly disappointed as a Leaf fan as I did not want his salary on the books here come that day in the future when we want to re-sign Matthews, Marner or Nylander and find that we don't have the cap space to do so. I am a bit surprised that he signed for only $8.5 million a season, thought that his heading for free agency was a ploy to make himself the highest paid player in the league.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm not surprised he re-signed with TB. It makes sense on many levels. Yzerman avoided a huge mistake here. But it the end it all worked out for TB and Stamkos.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
How so???? He signed a deal that's been on the table for months.

Yeah you really gotta give Yzerman some credit here. Stamkos clearly attempted to use the UFA threat as leverage, but Stevie wouldn't bite. Obviously Stammer never really wanted to leave.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Really messed up going for the Stamkos jersey over the Mathews one lol. Oh well I'll still continue being a huge supporter of the guy regardless of the logo on the front of his jersey. Wish the guy nothing but the best and totally support his decision. Looks like Toronto was the only other team he met with so at least he gave them a fair opportunity to pitch an offer to him. Having to pay him 12.4 million to match salary wouldn't have worked with Toronto's future cap structure and I'm glad they didn't go that high for him.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Good for Tampa.

Stamkos to Toronto would have been gravy, but the Leafs were going to be fine either way.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Man MTL fans upset about losing Subban, EDM fans hurting after losing Hall, and leafs fans missing out on what they been calling inevitable that he would be in Toronto. Bad.day to be a Canadian team fan.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Stamkos making $12 with anyone was a bad idea. Stamkos at 8.5 (only a $1 mil raise from his old contract) is a great deal, helps out Tampa who needs to sign a lot of other key players

Sadly Bishop will be gone, but he was always going to be gone after this season with or without Stamkos, again due to all the other pay days coming up plus the expansion draft. Gotta go with the younger goalie in this case

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Also hope no one takes that poster who's talking about us building rinks seriously. He's clearly 12 years old or a troll. Stamkos doesn't owe the city of Toronto anything. His comments don't reflect leafnation not all of us are salty about the outcome of this deal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
But everyone said Babcock was going elsewhere and he signed in Toronto! What gives!?

If you look at Babcock's time in Detroit, there were few big name UFA's that were still considered to be on top of their games to have signed there. Obviously the 'coach' factor is overrated.

HowSweeeedeItIs

Jan 19, 2014
San Francisco

Did you just buy one of these?

stamkosjersey_47052.jpg

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
Man MTL fans upset about losing Subban, EDM fans hurting after losing Hall, and leafs fans missing out on what they been calling inevitable that he would be in Toronto.

At least Hall and Subban actually played for the Oilers and Habs respectively. Some Leafs fans are upset because they feel entitled to every NHL player born in Ontario. One would think that after all the years of being rebuffed they would stop letting it get to them.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah you really gotta give Yzerman some credit here. Stamkos clearly attempted to use the UFA threat as leverage, but Stevie wouldn't bite. Obviously Stammer never really wanted to leave.

I think his agent tried to do whatever he could to get TB to go up in price. I think when Stamkos finally put his word in the agent had to give in to Yzermans deal. Stamkos let his agent do his job but there came a time when it was Stamkos call. He wanted to come back, Yzerman didn't budge because Stamkos or no Stamkos his team is a contender. Pretty much had the upper hand.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

And I'm sure his parents paid their taxes to help cover all that. Try again.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Half the enjoyment in this thread is seeing the comments from some bitter Leaf fans who had Stamkos pencilled into the lineup already. Like Stamkos owes them anything, hahahaha!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad