Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Congrats TB, good signing.

Tonight Leaf, Oilers & Habs fans all cry themselves to sleep. :handclap:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No Income tax.

There's still federal income tax, which is the real pain. Plus, you get taxed based off of which states your games are played in. So half are exempt from being taxed, but the other half can be taxed.

There is no STATE income tax. There is however, extra taxes built into just about everything you can imagine to make up for it. :(

Its not this big 'free ride' state some are making it out to be. In terms of revenue, Stamkos can claim half his salary in Florida because thats where half the games are played. The other half will depend on where the game is.

That's right. Plus the fact that if he's still a Canadian citizen/resident, the tax structure is completely different as well. He'll end up paying somewhere and the difference between states isn't really much of a factor I'd think. He would've more than made up for it with endorsements in other markets. Glad he made his decision based off where he has the best shot to win.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
That's alright, the leafs are better off throwing the money at Tavares in 2 years :sarcasm:

That's great he's staying in Tampa; why go to a team that doesn't have much of a chance of winning a cup, when he's already on a team that's very close to being there?

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
From what i understand his salary is 1mill a year with the rest of the 8.5 coming in bonus' which would be part of his florida tax(notax) income so he avoids paying taxes on his 41 away games (minus 500k) which is absolutely huge. I could be wrong though.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Man this is my favorite deal of today...first off....ha ha....leaf fans this looks great on you.....a last place team that was so arrogant and sure they were getting stammer now has egg all over your collective faces...

Ha ha ha.....enjoy your slow rebuild...

Bolt fans...well done..as long as Stammer is healthy going forward, you got a good solid deal.....

Excellent all around.

massey1984

Some Guy from the Chicago suburbs
Jun 2, 2009
McHenry County
This is the best thing that could happen for everybody. Stamkos gets to stay on a Cup contender and teams like Buffalo can focus on getting the pieces they need like defense and veteran leadership. Buffalo should go hard after Ladd and or Brouwer and a defenseman.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
From what i understand his salary is 1mill a year with the rest of the 8.5 coming in bonus' which would be part of his florida tax(notax) income so he avoids paying taxes on his 41 away games (minus 500k) which is absolutely huge. I could be wrong though.

What?

Oh **** he just got the Clarkson contract pumped up to $8m?

:popcorn:

Great player though............

Good.

Honestly I don't even feel like Toronto should feel bummed out, they'd likely have to sign at 9.5M+ AAV to get him in UFA, and Toronto, while putting together good young pieces (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly), are not in serious cup contention yet. Stamkos on the other hand has 4 more seasons before he hits 30, when things will likely start going downhill (quickly, slowly, don't know, but he almost certainly won't be getting better after 30).

On the other hand, Rielly is the oldest of the "new core" at a whopping 22 years old, Matthews is 18. In 5-7 years their whole new core will be in their primes/peaks, and..... Stamkos would be 31-33, likely past his prime (at least past his peak).

Meanwhile, TB was at the SCF final last year, lost the ECF to the cup winning team this year, they are in win-now mode, and Stamkos is their captain/leader and still a very valuable offensive contributor, even if he's not putting up 50+ goals and 90+ points like he was pre-injury.

^^^^ This

Stamkos all along was a want, not a need.

We drafted our franchise centre a few days ago.

Back to the bashing tugathon

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Man this is my favorite deal of today...first off....ha ha....leaf fans this looks great on you.....a last place team that was so arrogant and sure they were getting stammer now has egg all over your collective faces...

Ha ha ha.....enjoy your slow rebuild...

Ill be sure to cry into my new Auston Matthews jersey

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
There's still federal income tax, which is the real pain. Plus, you get taxed based off of which states your games are played in. So half are exempt from being taxed, but the other half can be taxed.

That's right. Plus the fact that if he's still a Canadian citizen/resident, the tax structure is completely different as well. He'll end up paying somewhere and the difference between states isn't really much of a factor I'd think. He would've more than made up for it with endorsements in other markets. Glad he made his decision based off where he has the best shot to win.

FYI there is a difference between a resident for tax purposes and a citizen. I don't really see any advantages of Stamkos, or any other Canadian citizen playing in the US, declaring Canadian residency. There is a tax treaty between the two countries, but it would still result in some double taxation never mind a lot of complexities.

I think the whole tax issue is overblown. Obviously they discussed it, but I would be surprised if it factored heavily into their camps decisions.
"I chose Tampa over Toronto because of taxation issues" is quite frankly, extremely stupid and narrow minded.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Great deal for him... Well done TB. Although I was hoping the Stinkin Leafies would have blown their cap load on him.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
This will make free agent frenzy a little more boring on Friday.

It's hilarious Stamkos re-signed in Tampa and is not going to the Leafs. Smart move by him!

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City

Stamkos' agent needs to be lauded, as all but the $1M per is in bonus money (which is also guaranteed even if there is another lockout). That is genius! :handclap: :yo: :handclap: :yo: And for TB, it expires at just age 34.

I do wonder if Stamkos would consider living in Florida year-round to make it bona-fide. (Roberto Luongo in Florida does, although a large part of that is because his wife and her family are Floridians.)

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Stamkos played Toronto to try and squeeze a few extra dollars out of TB. This is way way worse than anything Daniel Alfredson did and he got booed for 10+ years. **** that guy hopefully he can never show his face in Toronto again. And **** his sponsors too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad