Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avenger*

Laughing at all leafs fans that said he would every consider "coming home to toronto".

What a joke that was.

Now we can wait two years for the same thing to happen with McDavid.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Tavares has 2 years left and TOR will feel dejected then as well.

Put it this way, if the Isles ultimately let Nielsen and Okposo walk and they do virtually nothing to replace them I can guarantee you Taveras will consider leaving when he's a free agent.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Laughing at all leafs fans that said he would every consider "coming home to toronto".

What a joke that was.

Yeah, the players leaving to play for their home town team.....nope....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......especially not happening with the Leafs. A lot of players have the opportunity (UFA) but choose not to.

Many players don't want the scrutiny or they're still not convinced about the franchise and also don't want Canadian $$.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
It's okay theyll sign Tavares and McDavid while Matthews/Marner/Nylander are entering their prime :laugh:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

What a joke that was.

It sounds like the Leafs are the only other team he talked to. So even though it's not surprising he stayed in TB, it sounds like he was at least entertaining the possibility of leaving.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Who? This guy?

So no Stammer in the big TO.....
images

He does not like Lanny MacDonald

Avenger*

It's okay theyll sign Tavares and McDavid while Matthews/Marner/Nylander are entering their prime :laugh:

Obviously you never learn. No one wants to play for a rebuilding fishbowl market and waste their prime years that they can contribute contending for a cup.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
[Tweet]748310795641987073[/MEDIA]

Jesus, Leafs would've had to pay 12.4 to match Tampas offer... Really glad they didn't.

OT: But teams in low taxed states have a huge advantage, basically have more cap room than teams who aren't. Not fair if you ask me.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
Good.

Honestly I don't even feel like Toronto should feel bummed out, they'd likely have to sign at 9.5M+ AAV to get him in UFA, and Toronto, while putting together good young pieces (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly), are not in serious cup contention yet. Stamkos on the other hand has 4 more seasons before he hits 30, when things will likely start going downhill (quickly, slowly, don't know, but he almost certainly won't be getting better after 30).

On the other hand, Rielly is the oldest of the "new core" at a whopping 22 years old, Matthews is 18. In 5-7 years their whole new core will be in their primes/peaks, and..... Stamkos would be 31-33, likely past his prime (at least past his peak).

Meanwhile, TB was at the SCF final last year, lost the ECF to the cup winning team this year, they are in win-now mode, and Stamkos is their captain/leader and still a very valuable offensive contributor, even if he's not putting up 50+ goals and 90+ points like he was pre-injury.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So Stamkos is a confirmed troll. Favorites the Toronto should sign Stamkos tweet. Doesn't sign and gets the hopes up of the Leafs fans and at the last second signs with his old team for a lowball offer.

You don't know how taxes work, do you? For Stamkos to net in Toronto what he'll net in Florida, the Leafs would have had to pay him over 12 million per year.

And yes, he is the ultimate troll and it serves the Toronto fans right who thought this was a formality. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Good for him. Any sane person would choose to live in Tampa rather than Canada. (I'm canadian BTW :))

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Right because Tampa hasn't proven to be a great Hockey Market over the years..... :help::laugh:

It's not even comparable to Toronto. That would be like comparing New York for a Yankee to San Francisco for a Giant. Both are good baseball markets but the media in San Fran is just a bit easier on players than it is in New York

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
[Tweet]748310795641987073[/MEDIA]

Jesus, Leafs would've had to pay 12.4 to match Tampas offer... Really glad they didn't.

OT: But teams in low taxed states have a huge advantage, basically have more cap room than teams who aren't. Not fair if you ask me.

It isn't fair, you're right. Unfortunately there's just been a "that's the way it is" attitude with taxes and how they effect the economics of sports. I mean, I'd love for this to be addressed in the the next CBA but I feel like for no reason other than "that's the way it is" stubborness nothing will be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad