Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Stamkos played Toronto to try and squeeze a few extra dollars out of TB. This is way way worse than anything Daniel Alfredson did and he got booed for 10+ years. **** that guy hopefully he can never show his face in Toronto again. And **** his sponsors too.

he never played for toronto why does he owe them anything ?

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
Stamkos played Toronto to try and squeeze a few extra dollars out of TB. This is way way worse than anything Daniel Alfredson did and he got booed for 10+ years. **** that guy hopefully he can never show his face in Toronto again. And **** his sponsors too.

ca22ee79315ba50866e0e927957b9061.jpg

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Seriously, Leaf fans, what exactly does Steven Stamkos owe to the city of Toronto, the Toronto Maple Leafs, or its fans? He stayed where has the best chance to win and saved your team a $12.37M AAV cap hit.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
Interesting thing about his contract being so bonus heavy, in Florida, with no state taxes, it means he only pays local/state taxes on the base salary for away games, not the bonuses, which fall under TB/Florida tax rates, which are, IIRC, 0%. So the bonus wages are fed taxes only.

Probably saves him a nice chunk of cash every year, easily 1/4 mill.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Seriously, Leaf fans, what exactly does Steven Stamkos owe to the city of Toronto, the Toronto Maple Leafs, or its fans? He stayed where has the best chance to win and saved your team a $12.37M AAV cap hit.

The bat**** crazy fans were the ones "convinced" he was signing here, and its the same bat**** crazy ones losing their minds right now. Most of us knew he was a luxury and not a need as soon as we won the lottery. Personally, I'm relieved they didnt overpay.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

To accept the deal he was offered during the season? Sure

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Interesting thing about his contract being so bonus heavy, in Florida, with no state taxes, it means he only pays local/state taxes on the base salary for away games, not the bonuses, which fall under TB/Florida tax rates, which are, IIRC, 0%. So the bonus wages are fed taxes only.

Canadian Tire couldn't match that offer.

Oct 18, 2011
I knew all that Toronto and Buffalo stuff was ********, Tampa was the best place for him to be all along the fact is rebuilding teams are not attractive to superstar players.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Great deal for him... Well done TB. Although I was hoping the Stinkin Leafies would have blown their cap load on him.

I think taxes ultimately helped Tampa Bay. I also hope that Tampa Bay insures this contract, as that bonus money is guaranteed to Stamkos no matter what. Keep in mind that his salary for the next 8 years is just $1M (the rest is bonus money that gets parked in Florida). On the bonus money, Stamkos owes basically just Uncle Sam and his agent's fee...only the salary can be taxed by other state/provincial taxation authorities. This is a case where this forum and Business of Hockey mix.

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010

And that is why players pay their agents big money:handclap:

Oxbow Lakes

Jun 1, 2015
Finland
I really hope this works out for Bolts. Great value for now at least.

In the long run Maple Leafs will do just fine without Stamkos.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I thought a few months ago that this would ultimately be what happened because I thought there wasn't going to be enough teams that could fit him in and I thought maybe GMs would recognize his decline and not give him huge dollars past what Tampa was offering, but all these reports recently of teams ready to give him a huge lump of cash made me think he's as good as gone. Surprised, but it's probably for the best for him. Though I was interested to see him on another team

JA

Right Benn, I hear his a UFA next year, the dream doesn't end with Stamkos.:)
There is no doubt that his hometown Canucks will offer him a lot of money. Francesco Aquilini is ready for that, especially if it results in Benn leaving the team owned by rival Tom Gaglardi.

Oct 18, 2011

Nothing they just acted like this was in the bag, the canadian dollar volatility may have played a part in this, factor in the current teams it's a no brainer if winning is something the player cares about

Leafs are atleast 3 years away from any significant contention

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The bat**** crazy fans were the ones "convinced" he was signing here, and its the same bat**** crazy ones losing their minds right now. Most of us knew he was a luxury and not a need as soon as we won the lottery. Personally, I'm relieved they didnt overpay.

Yes, you Toronto fans would be better off having faith in the rebuild, which is half over already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad