Tank Thread and Tanking GDT XIX: Tankception (BUF @ CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I personally don't think so. Maybe if it was 2 seed v 3 seed and for home ice. But isince its 4th v 3rd, I would shut it down and take the rest. They can't be the 2nd seed at this point

PIT's been 3-5-2 over their last 10 games. I can't see them resting any players after just barely making it in. I see it more the other way and wanting to use us as a good confidence builder. Just can't see Crosby taking it easy and risk going into the post season in a slump and unprepared.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
PIT's been 3-5-2 over their last 10 games. I can't see them resting any players after just barely making it in. I see it more the other way and wanting to use us as a good confidence builder. Just can't see Crosby taking it easy and risk going into the post season in a slump and unprepared.

Crosby's also got the Art Ross to think about.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
He is a prospect, who was once highly touted, whose ELC is expiring. Need to get him a look.

Need to call up Bagnall. Vet who deserves a game for playing with injuries the past two seasons. Hey, Toronto is calling up Colton Orr to give him a game.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Important ground work was put into place. Detroit didn't become a winner overnight.

People forget that Mike Ilitch bought the Red Wings in 1982, their first SCFs appearance under his ownership was in 1994-95, and their first Cup under his ownership was in 1996-97.

It took awhile to become the benchmark franchise that they eventually became.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Important ground work was put into place. Detroit didn't become a winner overnight.

Well, tell that to the baby boom Buffalonians who piss and moan on WGR and Buffalo News.

They probably want to win sooner than later so they can move south and retire happy.

Clock

May 13, 2006
People forget that Mike Ilitch bought the Red Wings in 1982, their first SCFs appearance under his ownership was in 1994-95, and their first Cup under his ownership was in 1996-97.

Yup. Even if the Sabres flat out fail for the next five years, I'm still happy with the commitment made and the direction taken to achieve it. Getting 29th and missing McEichel would be infuriating when there was nothing to gain from it, but we still have a lot of great pieces and would still be adding another. Land McEichel and it's total gravy.

Karate Johnson*

The ways teams are built are a lot different than they were 33 years ago.

There are more, better, farther developed players in the draft. There is a salary cap and free agency.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Arizona wins tonight..

'Yotes are 2-0-0 when I go all-in with vCash on their opponent (at Detroit, vs SJ). I am debating whether I want to do it again tonight on Vancouver, or save it for when we may need it against Anaheim.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
'Yotes are 2-0-0 when I go all-in with vCash on their opponent (at Detroit, vs SJ). I am debating whether I want to do it again tonight on Vancouver, or save it for when we may need it against Anaheim.

i already did it for you....all in on vanc

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I see the exact opposite.

I do too - a large number of points the Sabres garnered this season seemed to come from goaltending standing on its head to steal points and/or motivational tactics by Nolan with the "all-for-one" mindset.

I don't see it. Here is what Nolan has done:

#1. Motivated the team
#2. Instituted a "goalie friendly" system of defensive first, 1-2-2 trapping style game.

However, we are 30th on the PP. 30th on the PK. 30th in GF, 29th in goals against. We are dead last in offensive zone faceoffs and near the top in defensive zone faceoffs. Dead last in SF% (by a wide margin). When you note the marked improvements of nearly EVERY offensive player after they leave (Stafford, Stewart, and Myers) and the rapid decline of depth players after leaving (Mitchell and Flynn), to me at least says a few things

Nolan prioritized ice time to players "Buying in" and "effort" rather than utilizing the players he had to try to win games. He rewarded players who don't give you the best chance to win over players that would in a "my way or the highway" style of coaching that just doesn't work at the NHL level. He sacrificed tangible results for instituting an ineffective system.

The side effect of this is that depth guys love him. They work hard for him because that is how you get ahead in a Nolan universe. Nothing he has done has produced any tangible improvement over last years team.

If we had lets say a Hitchcock or Tippet who have a proven system and understand the X's and O's of the game in as a coach, our results over the course of an 82 game season would be markedly improved. I think we'd probably see less "COMPETE EFFORT GRIT" style performances, but we'd see consistently closer games and better overall results. Nolan is a HUGE reason we are where we are. More so that the talent on the roster and moves by Murray.

The tankiest thing that Murray did was keeping Nolan this year. The all for one, one for all mindset may have gotten a few wins here and there, but a professional, system driven coach would have gotten us more points over an 82 game season.

Bps21*

Bet it all on Vancouver tonight. Unfortunately I did that for Calgary, us against Carolina and us against Toronto and won them all.

You can make a fortune betting against buffalos interest

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad