Tank Thread and Tanking GDT XIX: Tankception (BUF @ CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karate Johnson*

Nolan isn't a good coach. But he's a good motivator and his style keeps a talentless team in games.

If we played a wide open style we'd lose just as much, if not more, by larger margins.

It's easier for a terrible team to fluke thier way to a 3-2 shootout win than win a 5-2 wide open game.

If your focus is on slowing the game down and playing D it takes talent out of the game. It's all about effort.

Our lack of talent isn't as glaring in the final scores, especially as of late.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I do too - a large number of points the Sabres garnered this season seemed to come from goaltending standing on its head to steal points and/or motivational tactics by Nolan with the "all-for-one" mindset.

yea, we would've had 30th wrapped up awhile ago, if the team quit like the Leafs.

No coach would've made much of a schematic difference with the center and blueline structure this team has fumbled around with.

Rocket Scientist

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle Area
What's Rolston's win% with the Sabres?
What's Nolan's win% with the Sabres (this stint)?

Yeah, good question - it's more the feeling I got from Rolston and the team apparently not giving a crap when he was here.

Rolston 19-26-6

Nolan last year 17-36-9
Nolan this year 23-49-8

This surprises me, honestly. I thought we were even worse than that.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Nolan is great at manipulating fan reaction.

Everyone says it, but I don't see his teams working any harder, and this Sabres team is no different (other than brief spurts like when he was first hired, and the latest Tankgate stuff, and most coaches bring that).

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Nolan isn't a good coach. But he's a good motivator and his style keeps a talentless team in games.

If we played a wide open style we'd lose just as much, if not more, by larger margins.

It's easier for a terrible team to fluke thier way to a 3-2 shootout win than win a 5-2 wide open game.

If your focus is on slowing the game down and playing D it takes talent out of the game. It's all about effort.

Our lack of talent isn't as glaring in the final scores, especially as of late.

Against Carolina, Nolan was playing Bogo a ton and line matching him up against Eric Staal all game. These are like playoff games to him. Why is it that every other team that is out of the playoffs are giving their backup an opportunity? Also, why not give players like Zads, Grigs & other non-locked up player more ice time.

Ennis got his 20th goal... time to take a back seat to the kids.

:shakehead

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Against Carolina, Nolan was playing Bogo a ton and line matching him up against Eric Staal all game. These are like playoff games to him. Why is it that every other team that is out of the playoffs are giving their backup an opportunity? Also, why not give players like Zads, Grigs & other non-locked up player more ice time.

Ennis got his 20th goal... time to take a back seat to the kids.

:shakehead

Edit: At least Nolan cant line match in Columbus.

dmband

Feb 15, 2010
Boston, Ma
Assuming Arizona loses, what else are we looking for tonight?

For Pittsburgh to care on Saturday;

I guess it has to be Ottawa win and Boston at least a point tonight. Then they still don't clinch if the beat NYI on Friday

If Ottawa loses, Pitt only has to get a point tomorrow to be in

One other issue is that Ottawa plays their final game Saturday at noon well before our game.

Not loving the likelihood of Pittsburgh caring if it comes down to Saturday.

sabres_phan

Feb 14, 2005
Assuming Arizona loses, what else are we looking for tonight?

For Pittsburgh to care on Saturday;

I guess it has to be Ottawa win and Boston at least a point tonight. Then they still don't clinch if the beat NYI on Friday

If Ottawa loses, Pitt only has to get a point tomorrow to be in

One other issue is that Ottawa plays their final game Saturday at noon well before our game.

Not loving the likelihood of Pittsburgh caring if it comes down to Saturday.

Pittsburgh might at least be playing to get a higher seed, no?

dmband

Feb 15, 2010
Boston, Ma

I personally don't think so. Maybe if it was 2 seed v 3 seed and for home ice. But isince its 4th v 3rd, I would shut it down and take the rest. They can't be the 2nd seed at this point

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Penguins fan here.

I doubt it. The wont get home ice out of it. If anything I could see them easing off on ice time for their better players if they've clinched by Saturday. The injuries and the slide in the standings have made them ride their top guys pretty heavily the last week or so. I can see them trying to make up for that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Penguins fan here.

I doubt it. The wont get home ice out of it. If anything I could see them easing off on ice time for their better players if they've clinched by Saturday. The injuries and the slide in the standings have made them ride their top guys pretty heavily the last week or so. I can see them trying to make up for that.

It will be all about whether they like the match up vs Washington or Montreal better.

The real irony here is that if the Sabres need Pittsburgh to care, they need them to lose to the Isles and that kills the McDavid & Eichel dream.

Decisions, decisions....

:laugh:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
It will be all about whether they like the match up vs Washington or Montreal better.

The real irony here is that if the Sabres need Pittsburgh to care, they need them to lose to the Isles and that kills the McDavid & Eichel dream.

Decisions, decisions....

I suppose the Yotes will have to win tonight or Columbus will have to win tomorrow. The dream must not be ruined!

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Decisions, decisions....

I half expect the Penguins to need a point against the Sabres, but to lose knocking you guys to second last. Then the Penguins 1st will win the lottery and we all have to watch the ****ing Oilers getting McDavid.

dmband

Feb 15, 2010
Boston, Ma

Decisions, decisions....

I guess it will be more clear on Saturday, but after tonight Pens matchups very unclear. Montreal, Tampa, Washington or NYR.

I am shaking thinking about the Columbus game tomorrow.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So Benoit is out Friday. Sabres will call up a dman . Hopefully it's Leduc.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I guess it will be more clear on Saturday, but after tonight Pens matchups very unclear. Montreal, Tampa, Washington or NYR.

I am shaking thinking about the Columbus game tomorrow.

The Jackets are 9-0-1 in their last 10. That's the best record in the league over the last 10.

The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10. That's the 28th best record in the league over the last 10.

It's also their last home game of the year.

I'm not that worried.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
So Benoit is out Friday. Sabres will call up a dman . Hopefully it's Leduc.

I was thinking Bagnall. No Ruhwedel or Mcabe please. Murray can't control Nolan, so he needs to control what he can control.

Karate Johnson*

The Jackets are 9-0-1 in their last 10. That's the best record in the league over the last 10.

The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10. That's the 28th best record in the league over the last 10.

It's also their last home game of the year.

I'm not that worried.

I don't want to be worried, but crazy things can happen in a one game scenario

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
"Buffalo's deliberate tank - trading goalies that are winning too much - should be rewarded actually, rewarded with a disqualified first round draft pick."

heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad