GDT: Tampa @ Carolina Game 5: The Wretched Rally Towel Prophecy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't think it's matter of just getting older with more experience

There's something flawed with the system. This run and gun, high tempo, skate other teams into the ground, huge forecheck style that Rod plays, is not sustainable for a regular season and long playoffs.

I don't think it's a great style for the playoffs anyways.

Nobody wins a cup by skating around another team.

You make "the system" sound like some gimmick employed to compensate for lack of talent. As far as I can tell the only "system" this team employs is simply playing aggressively in all situations.

I agree you can't win a cup by skating around another team but I don't think there's anything about this "system" that calls for that to happen. It certainly wasn't that way during the regular season. Yes, this team can be too finesse at times and it's frustrating, but that's a sign of being inexperienced and not understanding what it takes to win. And also, probably, fatigue after being down a couple guys in the lineup.

Rod knows what it takes to win on the ice probably more than any other coach in the league. No disrespect, but I'll trust what he thinks over you or anybody else on this message board. Doesn't mean he's perfect, but like the players, he's still learning and growing into his job.

We just ran into a better team. It happens. Someday we will be the better team. Be patient and enjoy the ride.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
As bad as it feels to get bumped in 4 or 5, we'd all be feeling a lot worse about a heartbreaker in 6 or 7. Those are hard to get out of your head for a long time afterward. There's no actual pride in saying "at least we took them 7 games before we shot the puck off our own goalie in OT!".

To me the difference between this series and the past couple of years are:
a) Tampa is not Boston as a hockey team
b) Tampa is not Boston as a fanbase
c) We may have shot ourselves in the foot here and there, but not to the extent of meltdowns and embarrassment. Especially not in context of A and B.

Yep, agreed. I don’t feel anger or hatred of the opposing fanbase, or anything really. Very “meh” about all of this. Tampa’s a great team that added an MVP-caliber player at the end of the year. Tip the cap and try to get better next year.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
What I noticed over and over in every single game of the series, was Tampa players getting the first step on our guys. In the read-and-react game, they were quicker the vast majority of the time. I don't know if that's a talent gap or a coaching gap or a fatigue gap, but it was persistent and IMO was the single biggest reason we lost the series as well as the single biggest reason we lost any given game. Being a stride late to the puck adds up in huge ways when it comes to extending shifts, failing to clear on the PK, just all sorts of things.

I think it is straight up experience. They knew what we were going to do almost before we did. That comes from good mentoring and maturing as a hockey player at the NHL level.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think it is straight up experience. They knew what we were going to do almost before we did. That comes from good mentoring and maturing as a hockey player at the NHL level.

The fact they could react that quickly to what the Canes were running is a credit to Cooper as well as the team. He scouted Carolina well, prepped Tampa well, and they were ready and executed their plan very well.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I'm not too worried over this loss. I wish they had put up more of a fight, but the way I see it: Carolina is to Tampa what Tampa was to Chicago a few years back.

Canes are a young team but they're learning how to lose, which is just as important as how to win. I mean, Staal and Gardiner are the only "vets" on the team (Reimer, as well, I guess). Everyone else can still be considered a young or prime player. Svech is only 21 and already has a few tough playoff losses under his belt. I'm betting that'll ignite a fire as he grows.

The focus now should be to get RBA's deal done

Let's not forget that he is still a new coach at this level. He will grow as a coach as this group grows as a team.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
The fact they could react that quickly to what the Canes were running is a credit to Cooper as well as the team. He scouted Carolina well, prepped Tampa well, and they were ready and executed their plan very well.

Absolutely, no doubt Rod will be critiquing his own performance and learning from this as well.

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Ah well. Next year new try.

We'll always have Paris.

No Lempo, not that one. This one.

I don't actually feel like shredding my homebuilt Canes paraphernalia. You don't want to see it.

I feel MZ sticks around. That's the opposite of "you don't want to see it".

Now I feel good again.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Here’s the bottom line. The Canes were a better than average 5 on 5 team during the season and were the best at combined special teams with top 3 PP and PK. They got outscored 7-2 on special teams this series and would you look at that they got outscored by 5 total goals.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
^^Boomer was discussing those same differentials on The Point today. Pointing out how some minor tweaks could have changed the outcome.

Both he and Jake had picked the Canes as their champ at the start of the season. Jake said there’s a strong possibility that he will do it again in the fall. He was so ride or die for the Canes all season. Great PR on the airwaves almost daily. The FO should treat him to a game and a weekend in Raleigh when Canadians can travel again.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
You make "the system" sound like some gimmick employed to compensate for lack of talent. As far as I can tell the only "system" this team employs is simply playing aggressively in all situations.

I agree you can't win a cup by skating around another team but I don't think there's anything about this "system" that calls for that to happen. It certainly wasn't that way during the regular season. Yes, this team can be too finesse at times and it's frustrating, but that's a sign of being inexperienced and not understanding what it takes to win. And also, probably, fatigue after being down a couple guys in the lineup.

Rod knows what it takes to win on the ice probably more than any other coach in the league. No disrespect, but I'll trust what he thinks over you or anybody else on this message board. Doesn't mean he's perfect, but like the players, he's still learning and growing into his job.

We just ran into a better team. It happens. Someday we will be the better team. Be patient and enjoy the ride.

Lol. I'm fine with us not winning a cup again. I never thought we'd win one. Two is just icing on the cake

If you're not game planning for the opponent, matching lines, scheming in any way, are you really coaching though?

Are they a better team? Yeah.... that's why most coaches would you know would.... try to outcoach them.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
It was a good playoff run for Canes. Preds were the hottest team during end of regular season and they were able to beat them. Tampa is like 20 million over the cap in post season. And they are just clinical with the talent they have. Still, Canes as a team were better than Tampa in most games. It was the individual talent in goal and by a couple of players that should not have been in the Tampa team if cap rules were equal to everyone that made the difference.

This team needs to have Svech and Necas to grow up being game changers. Other than that they are good at the moment.

Awesome hockey from Canes this year!

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Yep, agreed. I don’t feel anger or hatred of the opposing fanbase, or anything really. Very “meh” about all of this. Tampa’s a great team that added an MVP-caliber player at the end of the year. Tip the cap and try to get better next year.

Tampa fans are getting pretty cocky but frankly I think any fanbase with a team in their position would. They're clearly the class of the NHL. The Kucherov LTIR stuff this year was sketchy, but technically within the rules so whatever. Nowhere near as bad as Bruins fans. I'm certainly not rooting for Tampa to win again but I won't really care if they do. Bruins only team left that I hate and want to lose. Hope the Isles can just put a quick end to that tonight.

Reactions: Tryamw

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Tampa fans are getting pretty cocky but frankly I think any fanbase with a team in their position would. They're clearly the class of the NHL. The Kucherov LTIR stuff this year was sketchy, but technically within the rules so whatever. Nowhere near as bad as Bruins fans. I'm certainly not rooting for Tampa to win again but I won't really care if they do. Bruins only team left that I hate and want to lose. Hope the Isles can just put a quick end to that tonight.

They're far more tolerable than some of the drama-loving Panthers fans we've encountered and the Panthers haven't won jack nor shit in 30 years.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If you're not game planning for the opponent, matching lines, scheming in any way, are you really coaching though?

Are they a better team? Yeah.... that's why most coaches would you know would.... try to outcoach them.

I don't know what you think you're arguing here, but whatever it is, it's a bad argument.

A month ago, Pierre LeBrun surveyed NHL GMs, and according to the majority of those guys, they thought that Brindy should be this year's winner of the Jack Adams award. I'm gonna go ahead and say they know more hockey than you do.

The day will come when, for whatever reason, Brindy isn't the right coach for this team. But that day ain't today.

pironeas

Just another duster
Nov 30, 2017
St.Petersburg, Russia
You from Russia? How'd you wind up a Canes fan?

Yup, I've been following the game for fifteen years or smth already and it all started from NHL 07. I'm into history, great hockey stories and glory times when helmets were optional ;) I guess my passion dates back to Hartford times and its logo which is lit! Besides, Ronny Francis is one of my favorite players.

After winning it all in 2006 Carolina's been mediocre for a looooong time. Having had a soft spot for underdogs I got hooked since these mushy middle days.

As a bonus, I have a great opportunity to hang out with guys from Finland: Helsinki is 4 hours away from Saint Petersburg where I live. Oh boy do the love hockey and beer lol

Cheers!

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I don't know what you think you're arguing here, but whatever it is, it's a bad argument.

A month ago, Pierre LeBrun surveyed NHL GMs, and according to the majority of those guys, they thought that Brindy should be this year's winner of the Jack Adams award. I'm gonna go ahead and say they know more hockey than you do.

The day will come when, for whatever reason, Brindy isn't the right coach for this team. But that day ain't today.

Oh FFS. He got out coached. He's gotta step up his game. That's my point....

And if he thinks the only time you ever pull a goalie is if he's hurt then he doesn't deserve to win the Jack Adams.

Cause Mrazek should have been pulled on game 4.

And everybody in Hockey besides Brindy knows it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad