GDT: Tampa @ Carolina Game 5: The Wretched Rally Towel Prophecy

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Unless you were in both locker rooms you have no idea if he was outcoached or not. The one thing that is very clear is that Tampa has better talent and depth than we do at pretty much every spot on the ice. Who outcoached who isn't even part of the equation of that series.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Yup, I've been following the game for fifteen years or smth already and it all started from NHL 07. I'm into history, great hockey stories and glory times when helmets were optional ;) I guess my passion dates back to Hartford times and its logo which is lit! Besides, Ronny Francis is one of my favorite players.

After winning it all in 2006 Carolina's been mediocre for a looooong time. Having had a soft spot for underdogs I got hooked since these mushy middle days.

As a bonus, I have a great opportunity to hang out with guys from Finland: Helsinki is 4 hours away from Saint Petersburg where I live. Oh boy do the love hockey and beer lol

Cheers!

Cool stuff, I love following hockey out there in Russia/Finland -- love the play style and following prospects who come over to the NHL. Maybe you can help me with my Russian... я говорю немного по-русски

Reactions: pironeas

FlyersFanSinceBirth

Jul 1, 2010
I went to this game Tuesday night. It was my first playoff game, first non-Flyers game and third game at PNC arena. You guys have a great arena and the place was definitely rocking. Just a few things I noticed...

1. While I was really hoping for Tampa to lose, it was a lot of fun going to the game without the stress of watching your favorite team.
2. Without Point and Vasilevskiy, I think you guys would have taken that game.
3. Even though the crowd was 95% awesome, I always seem to end up sitting behind the most annoying person in the building, no matter where I go.
4. I like Ric Flair as much as the next guy. But they play the "woo" a bit too much.
5. Why did everyone seem to hate Dougie Hamilton so much?
6. Both teams were insanely entertaining to watch.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I just saw a thread on the main board where apparently Doogie said something like "We lost to a team 18 mil over the cap?"

Is this true? if so LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

That's hilarious to me. We definitely shot a lot of bullets into our own foot, but it's interesting to see the players' perspective on the cap circumvention.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I just saw a thread on the main board where apparently Doogie said something like "We lost to a team 18 mil over the cap?"

That's hilarious to me. We definitely shot a lot of bullets into our own foot, but it's interesting to see the players' perspective on the cap circumvention.

It looks like that headline is just being blown out of proportions when he meant it to be more benign. He said (paraphrase) that when you are looking at ways to improve your own team to be better next year it is hard to account for competing with an opponent with a couple extra $9 million players on the roster. A fair point.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Kind of. He backpedaled a bit after his initial comment to clarify it and make it seem less salty

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Dougie is absolutely correct to point it out and it really should be something that more people are talking about.

The league has a hard cap limit of $81.5m. Tampa is playing a $99m roster in the playoffs. The fact this was allowed is an absolute joke and a loophole that absolutely must be cleaned up. The last thing this league wants is a precedent of high dollar teams intentionally sitting their best players for the season under a guise of injury just so they can stack the cards in the playoffs. That's how you absolutely tank regular season attendance right as you are transitioning to a new broadcasting deal.

stevewin

Oct 21, 2016
4. I like Ric Flair as much as the next guy. But they play the "woo" a bit too much.
You probably weren't hearing it over the PA as much as fans just randomly calling it out?

I have to say this is one of my favorite things of the modern Canes fan era. I remember when I first heard the crowd woos - it was a few years back before the team turned the corner - in a far from full arena watching a less than scintillating game. In the calm quiet I heard a single plaintive "wooo" in the crowd. My first one. Then a little later - another. It was almost spooky - in this cavernous arena every once in a while hearing these random disconnected (almost melancholy) "woos" drifting down across the crowd. After a while I was really into it - just how weird it sounded in the big open quiet arena - just randomly being wailed out apropos of nothing.

Whenever I hear the now energized WOOOs in the crowd I think back to that game and the eerie sad woos from that time that started it all.

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
5. Why did everyone seem to hate Dougie Hamilton so much?

For your average fan (ie non internet plugged in super fan), it's because the Hurricanes' color commentator has spent the year taking every opportunity to shit on him.

It goes from the subtle and sinister- like phrasing a good play as "He needs to do that more" (implying he isn't doing that enough), to the more overt, like blaming him for not anticipating Foegele was about to blow coverage on Atkinson.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
For your average fan (ie non internet plugged in super fan), it's because the Hurricanes' color commentator has spent the year taking every opportunity to shit on him.

It goes from the subtle and sinister- like phrasing a good play as "He needs to do that more" (implying he isn't doing that enough), to the more overt, like blaming him for not anticipating Foegele was about to blow coverage on Atkinson.
I'm not a big Hamilton fan anymore and I have to say that annoyed me. I also think Tripp turned a lot of Caniacs against Hamilton. It's not his place to frequently dump on a player of ours.

On the other hand, I kind of appreciate the honesty of a commentator for saying what they really think about a player.

Reactions: cptjeff

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

I'm not a big Hamilton fan anymore and I have to say that annoyed me. I also think Tripp turned a lot of Caniacs against Hamilton. It's not his place to frequently dump on a player of ours.

On the other hand, I kind of appreciate the honesty of a commentator for saying what they really think about a player.

Fans would have gotten there anyway. Not only was a new whipping boy needed after Faulk's departure, but also the player type is conducive to criticism. Pitkanen was polarizing for his lack of physicality, which was interpreted as aloofness. Ditto Faulk and his adventures in his own zone at times during his tenure. Hamilton brought the aggravating aspects of both.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I hate this excuse, because it assumes that fans just parrot whatever they hear on TV (From Tripp, of all people) instead of assuming that they're seeing the same thing EVERYONE is seeing (ie: Hamilton blowing coverage) and making the same assessment.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

I don’t understand how Tripp is able to influence anybodies opinion. He’s basically a crazy person who rambles from non-sequitur to non-sequitur and digresses into endless irrelevancies. Which I love, but nobody should take him seriously.

Reactions: WWAD

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I hate this excuse, because it assumes that fans just parrot whatever they hear on TV (From Tripp, of all people)

If you're an average fan, Tripp is one of the most well informed hockey minds you're going to interact with (unless you're related to a too plugged in super fan). If I wasn't clear, I don't consider anyone with an HFboards account an "average" fan.

instead of assuming that they're seeing the same thing EVERYONE is seeing (ie: Hamilton blowing coverage) and making the same assessment.

Well I disagree with this, for one I think Hamiltons flaws are overblown (partly because Tripp doesn't miss an opportunity to point it out), but more importantly this isn't accurate: McGinn and Foegele both blow coverage constantly, and they're loved by the fanbase.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Uh, yeah? If you're an average fan, Tripp is one of the most well informed hockey minds you're going to interact with (unless you're related to a too plugged in super fan). If I wasn't clear, I don't consider anyone with an HFboards account an "average" fan.

Well I disagree with this, for one I think Hamiltons flaws are overblown (partly because Tripp doesn't miss an opportunity to point it out), but more importantly this isn't accurate: McGinn and Foegele both blow coverage constantly, and they're loved by the fanbase.

You have a much lower opinion of the average hockey fan than I do if you believe they’re going to simply parrot the latest comment they heard rather than trust what they saw with their own eyes.

And you don’t see why there might be a few reasons why Hamilton blowing defensive coverage might get more criticism than McGinn or Foegle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad